1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do you draw the line - transgender

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Feb 7, 2023.

?

We all draw the line some where. Where do you draw the line?

1. Society should refer to transgenders using their preferred pronouns

19 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. Definitions ("man", "woman", "gender", & "sex") should be changed/eliminated due to transgenders

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. It should be permissible for transgenders to share restroom/locker room with their identified gender

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Transgenders should be able to participate in athletic & other competitions based on their identity

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Transgenders should qualify for loans, grants, scholarships, & admissions based on their identity

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Gender-specific organizations should be required to accept transgendrs based on their gender idntity

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Historical medical records & birth certificats should be changed to only show transgenders' indntity

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Transgenders <16 yrs should be able to hve sex-reassignmnt surgery/pubrty blockrs w/o parent consent

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. The U.S. government should provide finances for sex-reassigned surgeries and puberty-blocking drugs

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. None of the above

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rip Jerry!!

blue_eyed_devil and Salvy like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rip Jerry!!

blue_eyed_devil and Salvy like this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

"Gender affirming" Just say what it is, children's sex change for those unfortunate children that have $hitty parents and instead of leading by example what a women and man should be they take them to tranny story time and to watch Lightyear... CNN probably on tv the whole day...

#943 Salvy, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

Sometimes I feel like you don’t read what I write… which is your prerogative, but it comes across sometimes that you make assumptions on this topic.

Yes, I acknowledge transgenderism is real… in the very post you quoted, I literally said that transgenderism is real and that transgendered people should be provided protections by the law…. I have also in this very same thread numerous times said that there are politicians that are being bigoted for political benefits and that’s disgusting.

Concerning whether or not I know what it is like to be transgendered- of course I don’t because I am not transgendered. That is the difference though. I am not professing that I know what it is like to be something I am not - which is exactly what transgendered men are doing. They are not only claiming that they know what it is like to be women but some of them are insisting that they are the same as biological females and that science should be put aside.

As far as me knowing what it is like to be a woman - how could I know? I was born a male and have been treated as a male and have all the entitlement that comes with being a male - just like a transgendered female. I have also professed to know how all women feel, I’m this very thread I have said that women vary in opinions because they are people.

If your inference is that I am entitled? I absolutely am- I am a well educated, white man that is tall and well connected. That is a lot of entitlement.

**** yeah I am entitled, over the last 20 years I have began to recognize just how entitled I am in the patriarchy pecking order…. It’s like James Brown said - “It’s a man’s world.”

#945 Nook, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not arguing but I'm going to make two points.

1st, transgender men feel that they were born in the wrong physical body. Although science has not yet established what that means, it could be some combination of genes, who knows. It's unfair to say that a transgender man does not personally know what it's like to be a woman. If we consider their feeling that they are a woman born into the wrong physical body, they probably have a deeper personal understanding of what it means to be a woman than men like us can ever know. In other words, transgender men have a unique perspective on womanhood given their personal experience of feeling like they were born in the wrong body. However, you are right that this does not mean they grew up knowing the specific challenges and issues that women face in society.

My 2nd point is that while transgender men do not grow up knowing the specific challenges and issues that women face in society, they face a different set of more challenging issues from society. I don't believe their strong desire to belong has a disrespect component for cis women. However, some women may perceive this strong desire as disrespectful. I can see the different perspectives...

As neither a woman nor a transgender person, it's all just guesses on my part :D

Xopher, rocketsjudoka and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Transgendered men may well have a genetic component. I don’t question whether or not they exist, I know they exist. Regardless of genetics, they do not know what it is like to be born a women because they are not biologically women and they were not raised or recognized as women. Some transgendered people recognize this fact and some do not.

A lot of women I have spoken to do not have an issue with a transgendered women having a strong desire to be a female. The issue is the failure to recognize that they are indeed not female and their experiences are different than those of biological women.

Having said that- opinions are all over the map and most of the pushback I have seen have been at the extremes.

As far as the challenges faced by trans women, I haven’t heard many biological women argue that trans women don’t have their own struggles - but rather the struggles of trans women are different than the struggles of biological women.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You don't HAVE TO draw a line by the way. The whole problem exists because of the hypnosis that has convinced you that you have to have a solid opinion. You can just not know, respect everyone and move on with making your life better with what's in your control.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read what your post and apologize if I don’t respond to every single aspect of your posts. My time is limited.

I do recognize that you are approaching this issue with thought and which is why I acknowledged that you both recognize the existence of trans people and also the problems with making the a political target.

What I don’t agree with is this view that trans people are privileged. Yes a trans female isn’t exactly the same as a biological female. Yes a trans females experience is not the same as a biological female. The problem is that as we see in this very thread any privilege that a trans female might have is countered by how much stigma is targeted at them. I would hardly call the fear and having laws passed against them as stigma.

Also you’ve said several times including in the post above that trans people are absolutely professing that trans people are being something they’re not. That is the whole argument. About what someone is. I’m
    Sure most trans people know that they arent completely what they would like to be. What they are asking for is that to the extent possible we treat them as they would like to be.

Nook likes this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

My wife met Danica Roem at a brewery tonight.

Says she is really nice.

Xopher and Nook like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is she's the one being silenced?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I dunno. Sure. We're all being silenced. Save me from this stupid death spiral.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ah, wrong one.

Literally being silenced by the GOP House for her remarks on the floor. The party of free speech.

https://apnews.com/article/montana-...zooey-zephyr-d398d442537a595bf96d90be90862772

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — The latest high-profile example of statehouses deciding who can be heard during legislative debates is playing out in Montana, where a transgender lawmaker on Wednesday was barred from speaking on the House floor for the remainder of the session.

For days before voting to discipline her, legislative leaders in the GOP-controlled statehouse had not allowed Rep. Zooey Zephyr to speak during debates because she said colleagues who voted to ban gender-affirming care for youth would have “blood” on their hands.

On April 18, as the House debated the governor’s proposed amendments to a measure banning gender-affirming care for minors, Zephyr spoke against the bill while making a reference to the body’s opening prayer.

“I hope the next time there’s an invocation, when you bow your heads in prayer, you see the blood on your hands,” she said.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im from Montana and Missoula is an Austin. Very liberal but surrounded by red. She is in for a hard time.

I went to University of Montana for short time. College freshman who had stupidly decided on a major too early. Took a bunch of political science classes. This was in 2005 bit the degree to which those classes were slanted liberal was a real turnoff but showed me I didnt really love politics.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m listening to Vivek Ramaswamy on MTP. He brings up the argument that gender dysphoria has been categorized before under the DSM as a disorder. My understanding is that isn’t the situation now. Also for much of history the DSM categorized homosexuality as a disorder which it no longer does.