1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where did the idea that Adelman is not a defensive coach come from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, May 21, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

His Blazers were better on defense than offense(offense top 10 defense top 5). This includes both years where they got worked by Jordan in the finals.
    His stint with the Warriors was a disaster in every way so it doesn't really factor into things.
    His Kings teams started off crappy on defense because, well, they have crappy players. But they became really good defensive teams when Webber and Divac came on board(ranked #1 on offense and #2 on defense the year they got screwed by the refs). They later sucked on defense when their players became crappy again.
    His Houston teams are better on defense than offense until this year.

I can't find a place where he didn't emphasize defense, unless you think a coach can create a good defensive team with SAR/Brad Miller/Kenny Thomas as bigs. Or, for that matter, Hayes/Scola/Landry/Rookie Hill.

2. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

How many points did we give this season?

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

lmfao

4. RyanB

RyanB Member

i thin because people were used to Van Gundy
    IMO Adelman is a good coach in both ends
    but with Hayes as a center we cannot expect many things defensively

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

From Adelman. he said he takes the players he has and builds a team around them. He doesn't focus on defense or just offense he is a coach first. He just coaches and lets the chips fall where the may.

Just for the record no team with a 6'6" Center and a 6'9" PF that can't jump would do better than the Rockets did this past season. It's a miracle our D was not in last place

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This is the truth. As awesome as Chuck Hayes is on defense you can't anchor a entire team's defense with a guy who blocks a shot once a month.

7. DUHK

DUHK Member

LOOOL!

8. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

How tall was our center this season???????????

9. httx713

httx713 Member

Sacramento and Portland teams were great offensively and maybe pretty good on defense BUT what happened during the playoffs they were all beaten by the Bulls and the Lakers so while a good regular season coach during playoffs his teams have not accomplished anything yet when it counts and Defense is as important if not more during the playoffs i.e. this year's Celtics and Spurs of the last few years great defensive teams... So yeah Adelman is a very good coach ( regular season ) but come playoff time not so good.. Unfortunately the rockets cannot have JVG and Adelman as coaches but the reality is that with JVG the defense was great but offense questionable and with Adelman is the complete opposite.. I like what the Celtics do with their coaching staff Rivers is the Head Coach but have you seen who gets off the bench to coach on defense ( Tom Thibodeau ) <-- JVG's assistant ..

10. httx713

httx713 Member

I think he's ready to be a head coach.. Nets, Kings, Hornets and Bulls are probably gonna interview him after the finals.

[​IMG]

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's not bad, but it our players suck at D. They are physically challenged. AKA short.

He's OK on coaching D but I'd say he's primarily offense based off his results.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

Adelman is not a defensive genius like JVG. But he is smart enough to use good defensive assistants. He looks at the whole picture, not just one end of the game.

I think Morey and Adelman is a good pair. They both look for players on their overall impact, not just offense or defense.

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

a good defense team always makes other teams a jump shooting team. if you allow constant penetrations and layups, your defense sucks. pretecting paint is very important as well as staying in front of your counterpart for a fundamentally sounded defense team. i somehow have an impression our current coaching staffs don't emphasis on fundamental defense, such as staying in front of your counterpart. they like steals by staying in passing lane. martin is very good at it.

this is one reason i like shane more than ariza. artest and ariza have similar problem. they like to gamble and try to steal. as we all know, the ratio of steals and total offense possessions is tiny relative speaking. it does have impact on a game but it would be huge due to the opportunaties.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

Go back and read the post you're quoting again. The Portland team was better on defense than on offense. The Kings were #2 in the league in defense in 2002. That's great on defense. Not just "maybe pretty good."

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Based on what results? The result that he has coached a top 10 defensive team 10 times in his career, or the result that he has coached a top 5 defensive team 5 times in career?

Adelman is a great defensive coach. He just doesn't get any recognition for it because unlike the JVGs of the world, he can have a team that plays good defense while also having a good offense.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

for 3/4 of the season 3 out of our 5 starters were primary defensive stoppers.

Battier=known as one of the best peremiter defenders in the game
    Ariza=got alot of noteriety in 2009 playoffs for being "the stopper" defensively for a championship Lakers team
    Hayes= known as excellent low post defender, decent rebounder

Yes, we had to run the ball alot in transition and we had no shotblockers in the paint, but the problem was we did not develop defensive schemes in practice.

Adelman chose to focus primarily on offense to outscore teams in games and hope that hussle would make up for the errors on defense. Watch his post-game interview after the final game of the season on rockets.com and he admits this very fact.

I do not know if he has developed defensive schemes in the past or just relyed on the athleticism and hustle to get the job done, but his reputation is grounded in some sort of truth. He adjusts his coaching plan to the strengths of his overall team.

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I honestly think he would have started Chuck Hayes next to Yao if we didn't have Scola. He surprised me when he got here, because if you can't play defense...he'll take you out if you make any mistakes. Chase is a primary example of this. He played alot of minutes as a rookie, but at times RA didn't play him as much as he could have.

18. jedicro

jedicro Member

Good wing defenders can't do jack if they don't have a center or at least a big athletic PF behind them to contest and block shots. We had neither.

Also, don't list Hayes as a postive for our defense last year. He was the biggest (or smallest..)problem. Sure he's a good post defender in spot minutes, but you can't trot him out there as teh starting center and expect good results defensively. Wings will just jump over him for layups.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He did start Chuck Hayes for 3 months when they had Scola.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

See, that's what I don't get. If you look at pure numbers, he'd be considered a great defensive coach. Sure, those Warriors team sucked on D because they were the Warriors. And his Sacramento and Houston teams sucked on D when they lost any inside presence on their rosters. But it's not as JVG would've coached a top 5 defensive team with Hayes/Andersen/Scola rotating at center.

So where did the perception get twisted?