1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where did Morey go wrong?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What has been Morey's biggest mistake?

1. Signing Ryan Anderson to that contract

78 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Trading for CP3

10 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Resigning CP3 for 4yrs $160 mil

50 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Letting Ariza and Luc walk

32 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Signing Melo

27 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

so what? you dont have the best of both worlds. yall need to stop acting like that's even realistic in real life. some of yall feel entitled for whatever reason so it sets up all this ridiculous notions. and those expectations are pure delusional

you know why you dont have top 5 picks of talent? Because you don't suck. how does that even need to be mentioned. same people crying about losing melton as if he was some star even though they knew nothing about him. got pretty quiet real quick, i wonder why

Zoplicone, seeingred and justtxyank like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's realistic. (Why is so hard to accept sucking for 1 or 2 years, it's not like our lives are over in a year)

GSW has showed what you can do with picks and a core of prospects.

Celtics didn't get the fitting star otherwise their picks and young players could be put to better use.

Yeah sure you have to suck (Philly) but the rewards are bountiful!

BigShasta likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

GSW has elite prospects that would carry them if all their stars are gone? I guess everyone missed that memo

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're right about one thing, solid. You're being pretty blunt! Daryl has had his ups and downs, but overall, he's done a remarkable job, in my opinion. Alexander never let him do what we are seeing several teams appear to do this season, which is tank for a high lottery pick in order to speed the rebuild process. I agree that he's really missed on some of the 1st round picks that he did have, and that can be maddening. The Melo experiment this season was an unneeded disaster. I suspect that he was getting pushed to do it by Paul in particular, as well as Harden, but that's not a good excuse.

Still, he's been a godsend, in my opinion. Look around the Association and it's littered with GM's that have been abject failures, only to be replaced with new abject failures. Morey has had some really bad luck that I just don't see as his fault. Yao getting a career ending injury, trading for McGrady and he ends up being injured more often than not are two good examples. We've had a genuinely contending team this season and last. That's something the overwhelming majority of teams in the NBA can't say. I think we're going to the Finals this season. Time will tell about that. Anyway, I wouldn't trade Morey for someone else. There may be a couple of better GM's out there, but I'm happy with who we've got. I just want another championship! Our GM has given us a good shot at it, in my opinion.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think you dun get the memo that the league is built on the system of rewarding teams for sucking.

I think it's unique and outside of North America, not many leagues have that.

I can't really argue with you if you are hellbent on a theory of a guy carrying the team, it's a team sports.

In the ideal world one guy does not have to carry the load.

If GSW's stars are gone, you have 4 ships (or 3) to show for it and rebuild!

That is probably the most this franchise has ever seen out of a group of people!

solid likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh. looks like phoenix got the memo huh. how many years have they sucked. and they still continue to suck. what a reward. ny sucks and they continue to suck. what a reward

and now you're forced to go on some off tangent ramble. yeah you shouldn't really argue because there's not much that holds any validity on this no future contending team. go back to not being a contender then. whine and complain how the team isn't good enough then. now that the team is good enough to compete, the obvious answer is to whine and complain there's no future. foh with that bs

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

NY has been bad for decades, that is not a good example. Phoenix is more interesting, they lack the 1 in a generation type of dude.

So your point is continuing Les Alexander's way of keeping the team over 50% winning and hope for a Harden to come your way every 15 years?

And then run into a Fertitta to keep adding minimum salary players?

And continue to have 1 superstar 1 older star, a Center and bunch of borderline scrubs?

You can defy the system of building through the draft but quit living the dream that this is a team.

It's basically just Harden dragging the team into the playoffs.

solid likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

not a good example. you just said the memo is rewarding teams for sucking. yet someone sucking for years is not a good example. that makes a whole lotta sense there

uhhh the rockets are the midst of being championship contender. thats what you worry about. apparently, thats gotten loss for you and looking for the "future" which is absolutely ridiculous. i hope they win a ship, im sure the same people like you will still find some kind of way to b**** about something.

no wonder @topfive thread was created. Rockets do have some of the most annoying "fans"

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am NOT saying that.

This is foundation the league is built on.

They give high lottery picks to bad teams. There are busts so they won't do the draft for you.

solid likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

you just said it

so the knicks who have been sucking for years have gotten rewarded. yeah rewarded with continuing to be one of the worst teams in the league. but hey not a good example apparently

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are just too hard headed. I give up talking to you.

I only say this. The poster, rock solid, I think it was his moniker, didn't say he wanted the Rockets to lose and not win a championship.

You replied to him. Accusing him of that is wrong. He just found that Morey's ways might not be the best ones.

And stop with all the shet about the Rockets winning a championship just to shut up some guys who have doubts.

That is just frustrating with dudes like you. You think the Rox really care about a bunch of fans who think differently?

They win a championship because they can and have the hunger for it.

solid likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you should give up. you havent made any valid points.

yeah he is wrong on a ton of accounts. you tried to come to the rescue with some bs and got refuted

biff17 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have some issues with doubters I get it. Well, I think your Bs is worse too but I won't be the first one to bite.

solid likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. there's a difference between valid questions and concerns which is completely fine and just flat out horrible takes

dont get all upset because what you are expecting isn't typically realistic in real life. and when someone tells you that they become the ones that's hard headed. oh the irony

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

So you're saying the guy who doesn't know "squat about basketball" somehow accidentally pulled off the "most lopsided acquisition in NBA history?

Your entire post is explained in the first sentence: "I don't like Morey, never have." In fact, there's really no point in reading further. You sound like one of those "I just don't like Harden, never have" guys who proceeds to ignore all the evidence showing his value. We haven't had a losing season since Morey took over 13 years ago. Last year he managed to get us into the WCF with the league's best record, a hamstring away from winning it all for the first time in a decade and only the second time since Hakeem was playing. And he did all that despite having always been under direct owner's order not to tank. That may be the hardest thing to do in professional sports: continue to contend year after year without being able to take it down to the foundation and rebuild from the bottom.

#175 topfive, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    D-rock, jcf and YOLO like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Easily one of the worst posts I have ever read on here, and that's saying something. You call him a "bean counter" as if it's some sort of insult, and say he knows nothing about basketball. Yet he's shown time and time again that he will ALWAYS put a contender on the court. Every GM has their flaws, but the difference is Morey's flaws have NEVER hurt the product on the court. Yes, we haven't won a championship. But during Morey's tenure, how many teams have?? And conversely, how many GMs have a trade as lopsided as the Harden deal on their resume?? I'm not going to call you a moron because I know you're not a moron. But your post was utterly moronic.

Also, Morey is a ****ing MIT graduate....not some "bean counter".

biff17, D-rock, jcf and 1 other person like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love love LOVE Myles Turner and/or Aaron Gordon to complement Harden. But both Clint and House (Bruno too dangit) fit both young and athletic criteria. Hartenstein, Clark and Frazier are waiting in the wings too.

But do not underestimate the value of savvy vets on team challenging for a ring. Not just talking about former all stars like CP3 but players like EGordon, PJ Tucker, Nene, Gerald Green even Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute. All were integral to getting Rockets to WCF last season and will be integral if Rockets get there this season, and beyond.

Austin Rivers, Ken Faried and maybe even Iman Shumpert are also going to contribute and surprise us in the postseason.

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Done, my dude. How do you want me to post proof?

Fyreball and biff17 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

not necessary. all good. lets get this championship

biff17 likes this.
  20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I am happy to be wrong. I am all in. #RunAsOne

YOLO, D-rock and Zoplicone like this.