1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will you begin worrying about Jabaris jumper?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Jul 15, 2022.

?

Are you worried about Jabari’s NBA shot?

1. **** yeah I am

24 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Nope!

174 vote(s)
    87.9%
  1. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Not worried about his shot...I'm more worried about how this coaching staff and how they will get him his touches. Yes, he is getting adjusted to a different style offense (Summer League)...but the coaching staff did a terrible job getting him good looks.

Also, I want to see Jabari demanding the ball. When he was drafted, he said he would do whatever it takes to get a W...which makes me think he won't be demanding. He has the tools to be a great 2 way player and yes, being a team player is nice and all...but for him to become what he is truly capable, he needs to be more assertive.

Little Bit likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Again young guy with his first taste of the NBA in a streetball environment with a bunch of guys who will be sacking groceries soon.

Does everyone remember when Green’s shot looked broke AF the first 1/3 of the season and certain morons were calling him a bust and comparing him to Brewer?

Expect the same from Jabari. I fully expect him to struggle the first several months as well. The game will slow down for him as he gets used to the speed and skill of the NBA.

Just like Green by all accounts Smith is a competitor and will work on his craft.

I’m more worried his defense will improve this team enough that we may miss out on the top of the lottery. We lost a lot of games not because we couldn’t score but we couldn’t stop anyone.

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Jabari is not that type of guy

4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This kid has a lot of weaknesses on the offensive side of the ball and it will take a ton of work to get the moves and change the hitch and trajectory in his three pointer to be at the level we’re all hoping for. Good news is that it appears he has a strong work ethic and takes his craft extremely seriously. He looks intense and does not look like the big time partying type (until he starts becoming friends with KPJ). Silas royally sucks as a head coach, but he has shown an aptitude to develop young talent throughout his career and likely by end of season we’ll start to see the Jabrari we had hoped for. He’ll also put on some muscle and weight over the season which will help big time.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I wouldn't even START worrying until he has played 15+ games of real professional regular season NBA basketball games. Everything else is a dress rehearsal - Summer League, preseason, etc. He has too much of a body of him shooting at a very high level in college to overreact to mediocre shooting numbers in Summer League when there is less organization, spacing, and many shots kind of rimmed in and out. If two of those 'in and out' shots fell per game in SL, we are talking about him getting 19/9 on 50% FG and 40% 3s splits and no one cares that he can't dribble/playmake....and all of this underscores the real value in Smith anyway - he's instantly our best defender and brings a legit defensive mindset and identity to a team who actually is a decent offensive unit based on talent alone despite it's youth. It's the defense we need help with and Jabari and Eason need to be encouraged to lead us towards an identity there.

clutchdabear and topfive like this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If Smith tops out at elite defensively, above average rebounding, 36% 3pt and putting up

17/9/3/2/2

Then he will be well worth the pick and frankly, I think thats already in the bag.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I actually think Jabari is a better shooter in a vaccum, but Green's form is better adapted for the NBA.

Jabari's shot is a weird mix between the old school 2 motion shot like Garnett, Dirk, and the modern 1 motion shot. He really needs time to wind up his form, or else it doesn't generate enough lift/arc.

If he wants to focus more on mid range fadaways, his shot is fine. But quick release long threes are hard with how he shoots

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Need Auburn Jabari, rising up, pulling up, shooting over these fools, no hesitation.
    Not “hesitant” Jabari, not “not trying to step on any toes” Jabari

apollo33, Easy and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The definition of overreaction is taking a poor shooting performance on 5 less structure games and trying to "fix" Jabari's for based on that - the overwhelming number of scouts say he has one of the purest forms they have ever seen in a big of all time. Let's not run off and fix something based on what we observed in a very imperfect environment with fringe NBA players out there running and gunning to get noticed by scouts. The spacing was poor and it took a few games before they started getting Smith the ball in his spots he is used to working from. There is work to be done for sure on his ability to create from the perimeter and smaller tweaks to his form, but the problem with his offense in Summer League was more about the format and more casual fans in this board not understanding the type of offensive player he is. He's going to be a system guy until he can do more than one or two dribbles off a closeout but he can be VERY effective in a system with what he has today...but Summer League isn't going to give enough of that system to showcase the things he does well so players with ISO abilities are always going to be the stars of Summer League. FWIW, Mobley didn't look great in Summer League last year or the start of the season and he ended up being arguably the best rookie last year.

It always amazes me how many people can't be bothered to look back even to the previous season to see very obvious and clear examples that prove that Summer League is nothing to overreact about. Read this article from a SBNation Cavs blog to see how their fanbase was reacting to Mobley after SL and tell me it doesn't sound very familiar to Rockets fans worried about Smith's offense and forgetting A.) how valuable he was defensively and B.)the context of what SL does to the numbers of non perimeter iso players. Come on guys, be better.

10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

dumb ass MF’er stop posting dumb **** before I slap your dumb ass you hear me

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm worried already, people can poo poo how he performed in SL all they want but shooters can shoot whatever the circumstance.

I am not worried about the forced shots but the open looks that he missed once he started pressing, I am worried about him mentally and what his dad said about getting in his own head, sounds a lot like Ryan Anderson, and when most of your offense is built on being a jump shooter.

Yes, he is a far better defender but that's not why he was picked ##3.

PeterKingX likes this.
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how anyone could watch Green's transformation from early to late in the season and still be already worried about Jabari.

topfive, rockbox and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Jabari can definitely fix his shot. I think some people are concerned because it was supposed to be his strength. We weren't worried about Jalen's shot because he wasn't touted as the best shooter in the draft whereas Jabari was supposed to be elite and maybe a generational shooter for his size.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The greatest lesson we learn from history is that people never learned from history.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

So that's your takeaway from 5 SL games? That Jabari is Ryan Anderson with better defense?

Jabari will be fine once he's surrounded by actual NBA players who know how to get him open shots. Just having Jalen on the floor with him will give him better looks.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. marinara

marinara Member

Summer league is for players who can create for them selves or bully ball.

His shot is fine it’s just not falling, if you can’t realise that I would delete your account or at the very least stop making stupid claims.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. marinara

marinara Member

I’ve honestly come to the conclusion on this forum/site that 90% of the posts are just absolute bullshit

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No that's not my takeaway but it is a new question that I have.

He has gotten easy looks and he has still missed shots and the more he missed the more he seemed to press.

It also cements one of my biggest issues with him is that he is very dependent on others creating offense for him.

I'm sorry but these are questions I have seeing him play now it could totally be a blip but it's something to watch out for.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

20. marinara

marinara Member

He is an elite defender who can seriously change a teams identity.

The guard play in summer league is terrible, it’s suited to players who can create for themselves.

The spacing in summer league is horrible, players play more physical, everyone on the floor is basically trying to increase their role if not fighting to a spot for training camp.

clutchdabear likes this.