1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will we see a Garrison Mathews extension?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Dec 8, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

2-18 now on his last 20 three pointers. Also, I disagree. I think Cleveland was very aggressive on close outs and forced him into some very bad looking shots. To the point where he just stopped shooting. Yes he’s taken and made some contested shots before the cold streak, but I saw him being run off the line and forced to dribble and he has no first step at all and can’t get to the basket if defended. One dimensional offensive player that will heavily rely on other better players to get him looks. Hustle guy on defense. That’s what he is. Not saying he doesn’t have a role or is t a rotation player on this team, but people need to pump the brakes. He’ll eventually get hot again though. He’s a floor spacer. That’s it.

D-rock and 34to11 like this.
  2. raining threes

He's a little better at getting to the basket than you give him credit for. Although I agree he's a floor spacer, who's gritty on defense. He would be a great guy to have coming off of the bench for instant offense with a guy like Porter running the 2nd unit, so Mathews can get open looks. Mathews needs a creator to get his shots.

Where his unseen value is he's an effort guy on defense and that was lacking earlier this yr. Now with Tate/Mathews/Sengun/Nwaba/KMJ and to an extent Brooks you're getting more effort really on both ends of the court. But especially on the defensive end.

BTW, Brooks went 1-6 on 3's tonight and I haven't seen much mention of him or his game. Bad games happen.

D-rock, NewAge, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  3. vator

vator Contributing Member

He is not good at beating his man off the dribble. Part of the reason why he averages an insanely low 1 assist per game per 36 for his career which I can almost guarantee you is worse than any other player you can think of that is mostly known for their shooting. He was getting locked up repeatedly last night when he was forced to put the ball on the floor. He can catch the ball and get to the basket if he has a free run if somebody gets over aggressive on the closeout and runs right past him or in transition.

This is more than just one bad game. He is 2-18 from three over the past 3 games and has shot poorly in 4 of the last 5 games.

Nobody is mentioning Brooks because Brooks was not being hyped up as the long-term solution as a starter at the SG position on this team. Nobody was saying things such as Brooks is like Duncan Robinson or JJ Redick with better defense after a handful of really good games. The only people I even really saw going overboard about Brooks were the guys that hate Jalen Green.

I agree with everything else you said about him being a great guy coming off the bench to space the floor with shooting and play gritty defense. He looks much better when he has guys creating opportunities for him. I think he has a home here. I just don't want them to overpay for a 3 and D guy that is extremely one-dimensional offensively and his defense mostly consists of playing hard and taking charges.

Bounce back game for Mathews tonight on a back to back. I'm calling it. He's tough mentally. I think he's due.

verysimplejason likes this.
  4. raining threes

I compare him to Ariza without the top tier defense.

5. VoR

VoR Member

He does better with other offensive threats on the floor. Last nights starting 5 was straight trash.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

let’s see what caliber of player he eventually settles down to after his Linsanity moment fades

ElPigto, javal_lon and VoR like this.
  7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I posted about his shot selection long before this cold spell. He was playing well when he was taking the right shots and allowing his teammates to find him open. He got a little full of himself and now forces ridiculous shots. He was balling when he was setting his feet set and shooting open 3's, he has slumped because he now wants to shoot deep 3's coming off of screens and swinging his body.

He needs to be humble again and play the right way, not take these garbage shots.

{icebox425} and DaDakota like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

these are the same type of shots he was taking before…he was taking a lot of tough shots with a defender in his grill from the jump which is why he was always falling down on his threes and even getting a decent amount of 4 point plays

now they’re not falling because he’s not actually the 2nd coming of Klay Thompson and it’s time to come back down to earth…this is what I call regression to reality

ElPigto, D-rock and Bo6 like this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of that, but some of his shots now are swinging off a screen at the top of the key 27 feet out. It is because he got too confident, which I can't be too mad. In games superstars will take 1 stupid shot as a heat check. Garrison has taken his heat check for seve3ral games in a row now.

The bit I disagree on, and I may be wrong, is that I don't think Garrison's reality is 2 points per game and 10% from 3,. He has fallen far below reality. He was bound to come off of 20 points per game, but there is no reason he can't be at 13 ppg with a tight shot selection. Basically, Gerald Green with defense, shot selection and the ability to drive.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

not saying his reality is 2 points or 10% from 3, but the higher the ascension, the harder the fall

it’s like if Harden came out shooting 40% from 3…we all know he’s eventually gonna have some 2 week stretch shooting 20% from deep in order to bring his percentage down to what it should be which is around 36%

in Garrison’s case, he had an 8 game stretch where he shot 47% from 3 on high volume while taking difficult attempts, so now he’s struggling and that percentage is gonna come back down to reality

withmustard likes this.
  11. VoR

VoR Member

Two big factors: Cleveland has a tough D. There was no one in the starting 5 last night that was an offensive threat. It was legit a scrub 5. Atlanta game he hustled. We'll see what he does with Gordon in the lineup tonight. Missing Wood does take away some open looks.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

13. verysimplejason

Garrison is good if his teammates are good. He's a good role player and that's the definition of a role player. He'll not be able to carry a team but he's capable of helping a team. He's basically a taller Riddick with more defense and less offense. The more a defense can forget him, the better. He can score but he will need somebody else to take more pressure in the offense.

D-rock and VoR like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This 100 times this he is trying to do far too much - needs to be a let the game come to him player......and move off the ball......really needs KPJ more than anything we need someone that can drive, draw the attention and dish.

DD

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Garrison Matthews RAPTOR rating drops to 56th. Just an FYI. ;)

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m not a big fan. He takes really bad shots.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Oh come on do you live in Houston? Let’s be real JJ Watt and Chandler Parsons were a little extra popular with some fans

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Matthews not that good dude. The real Matthews has shown himself. It was fun while it lasted.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Fool’s gold

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Really? Do you think more so than Hakeem, or Warren Moon, or Earl Campbell?

I mean I do think some folks will be more inclined to look for the great white hope - but most people I think just love good smart ball - and look for those types of players.....

I have been accused of it because I liked DMo, and wanted to see VSpan get a chance - but people ignored my love for Von Wafer, and Aaron Brooks...etc....because they wanted to believe in their own narrative.

While racism exists, I kinda think the last place it should be is in sports, where results are all that matter.....

DD

cmoak1982 and Von Rafer like this.