1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When was the first evidence of you on the internet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bailey, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

OK, so I'm a little bored, and was wondering when I first went on the internet proper (as opposed to Compuserve, or something like that). I figured it was around 1994 for me, so I searched Usenet via Google for my oldest e-mail address, and lo and behold:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...b095d216d48/41e30ae89f267af0#41e30ae89f267af0

I'm coming up to ten years on the net. When's the first evidence of you being online that you can still find?

And my first post was about buying OS/2 Warp... what a geek!

2. drapg

drapg Member

1995 - AOL 2.5

That version of AOL did not have a web browser integrated into it. In order to obtain AOL's proprietary web browser on my Windows 3.1 machine with a 2400 baud modem, I had to download it.

My phone line was tied up for nearly 50 hours doing that.

My family and friends were pissed off when I pulled that one off.

3. drapg

drapg Member

Flag on the play!

Upon further review, it appears that drapg misunderstood the question.

15 post reduction in penalty.

Continue thread!

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

July 14, 1996 - Promoting a Band

:)

My AOL account started in 1993, but was long gone by 1996. I actually had a Prodigy account back in 1992. :eek:

By the time I posted this, I was using Houston Internet Connect - now defunct - as my provider on probably a 28.8k modem.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I've covered my tracks well...

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yep, youll find maybe one or 2 websites with my name on it. And you have my name, so check it up.

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I invented the internet. - A. Gore

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I don't have any evidence, but I got into a "chat room" around 1983 on my Commodore 64. I later saw some of the people I was chatting with on Geraldo show about "people meeting using their computers." :D

10. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well I don't think this really counts as evidence of my on the internet, but I found an article about me printed as early as May 5, 1994.

The birth of my internet use would have been sometime in the Spring of 1995. There is probably no evidence of that until around early 1997 (my first e-mail account that I can remember)

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I found some of mine from March of 97 in the same newsgroup.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Mosaic, around January of 1994. Spent days reading the Rockets articles versus NY. Also played RISK a lot.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

ICQ #337955

I have the only 6 digit ICQ number that I am aware of.

14. Chump

Chump Member

mine was 373261, although I haven't logged into ICQ since ~99

I was going through boxes of stuff from childhood the other week and came across a LONG LONG printed out list of Houston area BBS numbers circa 1991

those were the days, waiting 45 mins for 1 nudie picture

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Mine was in 94 when I used my first ever email address to sign up for a Weezer mailing list and join the official fanclub. :D

About the same time, I used to chat with my girlfriend in the school computer lab in Huntsville. She lived in Houston.

Then I got a home computer and got AOL. I was active in the AOL Rockets board. I remember guys like Barzilla, MManal (who still posts here I believe) and some other great posters on that board. That's how I discovered saveourrockets . com and eventually this bbs.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

See Here

<==========

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The birth of my Internet usage goes back to the mid-80's or so. And no, no reference to those posts exist. Even a lot of the recent ones don't exist due to 'X-No-archive: yes'. :) Yes, there are references to me beta testing for games on the 'Net, but that only goes back about 5 years.

Here is a really awesome link I've posted in the past to famous Usenet postings going back to the early 80's. First mention of Microsoft, first review of an IBM PC, first mention of a compact disc, etc. Like I said - awesome reading. :

http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

18. droxford

droxford Member

I first connected to the internet in early 1987. I can't remeber the name of my service provider, though.... it's on the tip of my tongue. I was using some dial-up client to connect and using Eudora for email (the www has not yet caught on).

-- droxford

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I logged onto BBS's back in 93 or so, prodigy and compuserve in 95 and various ISP's back in 96. I finally settled on one that got bought out by mindspring, which got bought out themselves I believe. My icq number which is still active is 292943. Could have been lower, but I waited a few weeks to make an account after being urged to by e-friends. :)

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew