1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When should you move out of your parent's house?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WinorLoseMate, Aug 16, 2010.

1. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Do you think there is an age someone should move out of their parents house and look to share or rent?As the years go by, I keep saying to myself 'It's time to move out and stop relying on my parents. It will do more good for my future and I'll learn valuable skills early on' But it's just so damn hard financially.

Even with a part time job that pays and full time University, I have many friends that struggle to get by. Some are envious of me because their parents are overseas while some are enjoying being independent. I can see the negatives and positives so I ask you guys.
    What age/time is most suitable for someone to move out of their parent's homes?

2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Once you've finished school (high school or college) and have a job is the time. As long as you're still in college, and there's no pressing need to leave home, then it's fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. raj87

raj87 Member

I believe it depends on the culture of your family. For example, it is not uncommon for my hispanic friends to have their sons and daughters staying at home until they are married. With my caucasian friends, their children are typically out on their own after completing university.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Milk that ****e for as long as you can, my friend. If you can stay there after school and build up some savings and pay off debt, keep doing it. You will be out eventually.

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

As long as you can. :eek:

Really, it would probably be great if you stayed at you parents for your first full year of work and save up your money. That of course is only if they want you there.

6. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Or you can be little my wife's brothers and live there till they are in their 30's. Yep, Mexicans.

7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 20 and I've been trying save up to move out next semester so that will have enough money to go to college and still have money for rent. My family helps me when I need it and I'm grateful with me making pennies at a part-time job, but really it's really up to you when you feel it's time to go. Forget people that say different. If your not a burden on your family then stay as long as you want. I'm going to cry the day I move because I won't have homemade tortillas anymore. :(

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Depends on how financially safe you are. I started really getting the moving out 'itch' when I turned 20, but I wasn't able to get a good paying job (something I could also fall back on too) until I was 23...then I was gone :D . You don't realize how much it costs to live by yourself until you're there...it was eye opening for sure.

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Sounds right to me. Maybe 2-3 months after your job so you have enough saved for some apartment furniture.

It was amazing how much money I had before I moved out after only a few months at my job while not paying any sort of rent. I'd be $50,000 richer if I had never moved out 4 years ago.

Also, if I had gone to college in Houston, I totally would've stayed with my parents.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

There are many factors. ONE of them is how "cool" your parents are. I moved out two weeks after I graduated from high school.

11. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

As long you can...i moved out at 25 into a house that i own with my husband. no huge debt here, just a bit of car/credit card here. it helps to stay with parents as long you can until you build up savings for a house.

12. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Every body spread the word ...I live in my sisters basemeeeent!

[​IMG]

13. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

I see so many college kids living out of their parent's home and I seriously wonder how they are doing it. It amazes me how they can juggle everything. I'm aiming to move out before 20 but as you said Xerobull I may just milk it for as long as I can. It's the easy way out.

14. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm kind of torn on this. Historically speaking, I think moving out is a great character building experience for anyone post-schooling to give perspective on what the "real world" is like. Until you live on your own, you just can't appreciate how much your parents (or guardians) have sacrificed and worked to keep you housed and fed, and you start to appreciate the value of hard earned money.

On the other hand, with the economic climate, I think we may see a return to more traditional times where you have more extended families living together to help cut costs. A lot of Asian and Latino families do this anyway, and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing as long as everyone is contributing and it's not just a means to freeload.

But the important thing is that you contribute. I would say the drop dead cutoff is 23 years old, which is generally the cutoff for when you can no longer receive your parents' work benefits, etc. At that point you should either forge out on your own or work out some kind of arrangement where you can help pay the rent/mortgage/bills/etc. In that case you could be easing your parent's burden and then it becomes a mutually beneficial relationship that everyone can be happy with.

That said, if you get married, you should get out. :)

15. Vivid

Vivid Member

You can get scholarships to pay for your housing during school (undergrad and graduate programs) and they are not particularly competitive. I don't know if their is an age but the sooner the better. There really isn't a positive to living with your parents other than whatever financial benefit you can milk off of them. If that is the case, and your parents are well to do, they might even help set you up with your own place, help you with financing a house. Most people that live with their parents do so out of necessity, not really because of how old they are ( I must live here because I am 18, must leave because I am 20). Some people can pull leaving younger because they are more mature, talented, and or smarter (which contributes to better scholarships and higher paying jobs early on). Some aren't as lucky, ie reality doesn't allow them to or it forces them into it. In some cases, they have to take care of their parents. I had a really smart friend in undergrad that had to take care of his mom and he lived at home. He still does (now in law school) for that very reason.

When did you think having to pay your own way would be easy? It never is. Having a nice job helps, but there is generally a lifestyle that accompanies the ambitious. I think if you can live on your own (your situation doesn't force you to stay home) go for it. There will always be some reason for you to stay (haven't gotten the job you wanted), but the independence obtained and the motivation of actually being self sufficient will light a fire under you ass in a way you mother or father telling you to do your homework never did. Good luck either way, I hope the best for you.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I moved out at 19 when I went to college, then moved back in after graduation for about 4 months while I got a job.

There is no obvious answer....just do what is right for you and your folks.

DD

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i've moved out, but i still can't seem to get away from them...

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd say, in general, shortly (within a few months) after you land a full-time job and can afford it. Build up a little savings first.

It's a little trickier when you stay local for college. I was away for four years so technically I moved out at 18, but I did live at home for a little over a year after graduating while I was working for pennies as an intern. If staying local for college, I think after a couple of years you should try to get your own place, even if you have to take out financial aid. I really think there is something to be said for living on your own, even if you have to take on a little debt to do so. The key is not to take on a bunch of credit card or any other kind of debt while doing so.

I think it also varies based on your family situation. Living with a single parent is totally different from living in a traditional household with siblings and all. In the case of the latter, it's best to be on your own sooner so that you grow up a bit. Living with a single parent can almost be like a roommate situation, which can allow you to have to fend for yourself a little more.

19. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Whenever its best with you.

I'm 28 and still live with my parents. At times I am embarrassed to say it but I have saved up pretty well and a good 401k in the process. I have a good paying job, but haven't finished school yet which my job takes care of anyway. I still help out with paying electricity/satellite/cell phones, but still cheaper than rent.

I have a good relationship with my parents other than them giving me a hard time with finishing college, as they should be. My cousin just got another job and we plan on moving out beginning of next year, so, thats the plan at least and he just turned 23.

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I personally moved out the day after I graduated high school, but went and stashed my stuff at m dad's house for a couple years. I didnt actually stay there often, I spent most of the time I wasnt at school or at work at friend's houses.

I think I had my own apartment by the time I was 20..it was a b**** going to school and working enough to pay the bills, but back then three of us shared an apartment in a cheap area just so we could come and go as we pleased without family interference.

Fast forward 30 years....

Our oldest is married and living in Chicago, he went up there for school straight out of high school and has made his way quite successfully. Still have the middle child at home at the age of 26, we told her she could stay till she finished her bachelors, but then she needed to start making plans to move out. God willing, that might actually happen some time before the youngest makes it out the door. :( (she is only 17 at this point)

Love my kids...but I would love to have our house back to ourselves before we are too old to enjoy having sex in the middle of the living room floor.