1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When NBA refs eject superstars...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by iku, Mar 15, 2013.

1. iku

iku Member

Here is an off topic question.

Do you guys think Refs feel pressured whenever they have to eject superstars like kobe bryant or kevin durant? I mean 90% of the fans go to NBA games to watch the stars go at it, so maybe the refs would think twice before ejecting stars? Do you guys think Stern indicates to his refs not to eject superstars as much as possible?

Sorry this was kinda random lol

2. clippy

clippy Member

Undoubtedly. In fact, when a star player has 4 or 5 fouls, refs will give them a huge amount of leeway. The other day, Dwight levelled some scrub on the Hawks, but because he had 4 fouls and there was a lot of time left, the ref looked the other way. It was simply unbelievable (and far mre egregious than te supposed foul on Kobe at the end of that same game). This is one of the many reasons the NBA is considered the most corrupt of the major American sports.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yes, with the exception of Yao. He gets called foul just for fun.

4. gah

gah Member

Oh really? Please tells us more.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

when a star is in foul trouble the scoring table will even often find an excuse to put a previous foul on one of their teammates. also, you can always tell refs are hesitant to give a second tech to stars

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Without a doubt. Refs will make calls that benefit superstars driving to the basket or other aggressive moves but will not call the fouls they deliver. That's why they are so surprised when they actually do get called for stuff.

7. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

I was at a Nets game in 2005 when it was basically Carter vs. the Spurs. He'd scored 43 and the Nets were up 72-67 when VC was ejected early in the fourth. The game wasn't a lot of fun after that and the NJ fans were obviously not very happy about it. I say if you get two technicals you're ejected, whether you're Vince Carter or Josh Boone.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, except for Jake O'Donnell. And his double-tech of Drexler ended his officiating career, so that's all you need to know.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

They almost never do except with Yao, I think they were actually just waiting for Yao to mess up so they could T him up. They always looked at him after a foul called like what you gonna do / say? Really feel he's the only 'star' they ever targeted, so the opposite of the protection they give Kobe, Lebron and them. Back in the day, MJ was protected like crazy, though Olajuwon got his fair share too where they would give the foul to Thorpe or somebody closest to it. They would show the replay where it was clearly the Dream but called it on somebody else. Since it's entertainment it kind of comes with the programme but still doesn't make it right. What I found worse though was the streak Lebron had this year with 6-7 games with no fouls called, that is absurd. Nobody plays that good defense.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How about 3 bad calls, and the Ref gets ejected :grin:

11. jocar

jocar Member

+1. Why aren't refs held accountable for lopsided calls? No fines, no suspension, nada

12. nono

nono Member

I absolutely hate it when rules of the sport are bent to justify marketing or revenue. I don't want to see either Kobe or Yao. I want to see a good game of basketball.

1 person likes this.