1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Jeremy Lin is out of the league in two years will he go work on Wall Street?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dxdx

dxdx Member

Don't be silly. No HF/PEs would want him; skills developed in basketball vs that of high finance sectors are not transferable, as yet. Plus, his Mandarin isn't even that good.

Considering his heritage and personality, most probably he'll get a Harvard MBA, mess around with some high finance/IB/consulting stints, then start plugging his own money into similar funds and/or start his own boutique VC.

2. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I know this thread is a joke because we all know Lin will get another contract, but if he decides to quit basketball he should probably get his MBA and work for some IB/HF.
    Either that or he'll become a pastor

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

He's already signed up to be The Bachelor in 2016.

4. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

What's the point of this thread??:confused:

5. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Someone dig up Les' comments that Lin could work in the Rockets front office in the future. That's how much Les loves Lin.

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Two thoughts:

1) I think you guys are overplaying the Harvard economics major. That's nice and all, but a lot of the big boys on Wall Street are smarter than that...or better said, lots of people with Harvard econ majors don't get the opportunity to work/make it on Wall Street or as some I-banker. Some aren't as smart though, so I guess you can make the argument he hustles harder or gets down and dirty and makes it, but why would he do that when...

2) He's probably saved most of his money. I sure know if I made $24M in 3 years, I sure as hell would have saved so much of it that I hardly need to do a HORRIBLE JOB like work on Wall Street. You might start working on Wall Street for the money, but you stay for the prestige and power. I don't feel like Jeremy is the type that needs/wants either.

7. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

If he can bring in hundreds of thousands in jersey and merchandise sales from Asian countries while being an objectively terrible basketball player it seems likely that he can bring in millions in Asian billionaire $ while being an objectively terrible analyst/associate

This is, again, at the end of next year upon which time not a single one of the American professional basketball league's owners will provide Jeremy Lin with any sort of contract

8. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

To discuss the options Jeremy Lin will have approximately 1.2yrs from today when he joins the ranks of America's 10 million unemployed

9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Oh jeez, another burn Lin thread? Come on, at least keep this one comical and focus less on the hate. It gets old really fast (while the job thing was actually an entertaining idea).

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

When LelWestbrick makes a non-trash thread will he be less trash?

2 people like this.
  11. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

This is a positive thread full of positive thoughts. We're brainstorming post-basketball advice to help out Jeremy Lin so that when he is no longer employed by any of the Heat, Wizards, Bobcats, Hawks, Magic, Raptors, Nets, Knicks, Celtics, 76ers, Pacers, Bulls, Cavaliers, Pistons, Bucks, Thunder, Trail Blazers, Timberwolves, Nuggets, Jazz, Spurs, Rockets, Grizzlies, Mavericks, Pelicans, Clippers, Warriors,Suns, Kings, or Lakers he can move gracefully into a new career.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Can we keep these threads in the hangout or nowhere?

He doesn't seem like someone who will waste his money like other NBA players, so he should be fine with his 25 mil he s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶ earned from the Rockets.

13. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol you think only the very best players get contracts? I'm really not sure if you're joking or not, but Lin still averaged 13/4 off the bench this year on a team that's a terrible fit. He's not that good, but once his contract ends he'll still be only about 26 entering his best physical years and is definitely capable of averaging 16/7 on a lottery team in the East. You're saying no one will give him a contract, even if it is small and to play as a backup? Lol. If Raymond Felton and JJ Barea can get a contract, any decent player can.

I know everyone's pissed about that turnover, but I really hope you're joking and don't actually believe what you're saying

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

You don't think he could get the minimum somewhere after averaging 12/5 on 45% shooting?

But gj op great thread!!

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There is nothing positive about this thread and speaking of wolves you seem to be one hiding in sheep's clothing. I don't know what your point is but it is clear it is not intended to be positive with comments like this...

And this...

... you seem to hate Lin beyond anything he could have down. He didn't take an instagram with your girlfriend.

2 people like this.
  16. cbk41

cbk41 Member

A large chunk of economists aren't good enough at maths to cover the needs of Wall St. as far as the quant jobs go. Management is a sure possibility but that is governed by the iron fist of the buddy system and the old school still.

17. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

This thread is stupid. He will still be a NBA player. Want to tell us what you would be two years later?

1 person likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would still sign him for like 3 mil a year for a backup

19. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Honestly? I'm bored, i'm still salty from the losses, he's been mediocre and overpaid for two years now, he Schaub'd it in the clutch in a bizarrely dumb way, and his fanclub is extremely annoying. If he was just another bad player that'd be fine, if he was a good player with an annoying fanclub (...like Yao) that'd be fine, if he was a bad player with an annoying fanclub who didn't just wreck our season that would probably be fine.

1 person likes this.
  20. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

By the logic of this thread, Mike Conley (who just made a bigger error than Lin o cost his team a chance to win in regulation) should just quit the NBA tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.