1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When do we Trade Wandy, Carlos Lee and Myers?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dreamshake97, May 2, 2012.

1. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

if wandy keeps this up his trade value will be sky high.. when do we pull the trigger on this?

what could we get for C Lee? i mean he wouldn't be bad as a DH for an AL contender

and Brett Meyers is a good starter/relief guy that someone could use..

Question is what are the thoughts on what we could get for these guys?

you would think we could get some good prospects for Wandy if he kept up this type of pitching..

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When deals are offered. Most likely in July, but June is the earliest.

Carlos Lee should net us a B/C level prospect. I expect similar to us giving Zobrist for Huff.

Wandy will net us a package similar to Oswalt

Myers will get us 2 B/C level prospects.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

If Wandy kept pitching this way, Astros can get the same return as Pence.

Myers will def have trade value at the deadline. Contending teams with injured closers (Reds, Giants), teams that are surprisingly in there (Dodgers, Nats, Indians). Relief pitching seems to be a need of every contending team.

Lee's contract is the hurdle.

5. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

The yankees could use Wandy.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

When we're 8 games up in July, why would we do this? :cool:

7. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

we won't be up 8 games, we're to young and the dog days of summer will catch up with us.. we will hit a wall at some point and it will be a learning experience for us.. I just hope Wandy keeps this up for another month and a half so we get some top level talent in return..

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

i really don't know about this, but i still don't know the reason why. very good, consistent, affordable lefties aren't exactly easy to come by, yet it sure seems apparent that other teams don't think as highly of him as...they should? nobody really seems to be willing to give up much for him. i don't know why that would change this year, but hopefully it will.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Well he has a 1.64 era at the moment, is under contract for 3 more years and has a contract less than Mark Buerhle. Like you said lefties are hard to come by and he's probably a top five lefty (Kershaw, Lee and CJ Wilson aren't getting dealt)

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He is owed 13 million next year and the Astros have a team option for 13 million in 2014, that becomes a player option if he is traded. Potential suitors have to take that potential 26 million into consideration.

11. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

from what i read on espn, Wandy is the top target of every team thus far.. they said it won't be long until the yankees are at everyone of Wandy's starts.. also said the tigers and indians are interested..

curious which one of those 3 teams has the best farm system?

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It's way too early in the season to think Wandy could keep this up. His ERA is almost half of what his ERA has been over the last 4 seasons; it's ridiculous to think he suddenly put it together. Especially when his peripherals like K/9 are down by over a strikeout per inning.

Wandy on a good team is an above average 3rd starter or weak #2. He's not putting any team over the top. Teams just don't respect him and his stats in a weak NL central. I don't think he brings back a return even equal to the Oswalt trade.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yankees and it isn't really that close. I doubt they'll send any of their 3 excellent pitching prospects in Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, or Jose Campos to the Astros if they decided to do a deal for Wandy. I know some of their top position player prospects are all in low Single-A too.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

who knows? they are no longer dealing with the ed wades and tim purpuras of the world.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pence was considered the top bat on the market (along with Beltran) and Pence was under club control for the next 2.5 years most likely below market price, in his prime years and the Astros threw in millions of dollars.

Wandy is owed more money at an older age and has been a very good, but not great pitcher. A team will trade for him, but not give up future stars for him since he likely wouldn't be viewed as the missing piece.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Despite all the disrespect wandy gets. Over the past 5 years he has been one 5 best lefthander's in baseball. If we can't get something good for him might as well just keep him.

17. what

what Member

Should we even trade wandy? At this point, with the astros hovering just a few games below .500 and with the extra 2 wild card teams it's easier than ever to get into the playoffs.

If the astros lose wandy, they are toast, given the fact that our starting pitching is the weak link.

Unless the astros get a can't miss superstar, I'd be hard pressed to let wandy go at this point. Call me crazy, but the astros CAN make the post season.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Wandy's ERA over the last four seasons is lower than Oswalt's was in his last three seasons in Houston. He also doesn't have a chronic back condition.

No one's saying Wandy suddenly "put it together". He's just a damn good pitcher, period. He's not a 1.64 ERA guy, of course, but not even Cliff Lee is. The fact is he's a consistent low-to-mid 3s ERA starter. He's also a lefty that doesn't rely on power stuff, meaning he'll age well, and is under contract for the next two or three years. He should fetch a pretty substantial haul, if traded.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Trade talks won't really pick up until July, so there's plenty of time to wait and see. The reality is that it's unlikely the Astros keep playing this well. Altuve, Johnson and Schafer are all playing well above what their minor league history suggests they should. Martinez was until the past week. Wandy is throwing out of his mind. I hope the light bulb went off for all of those guys, but some regression is likely.

That said, it's certainly not impossible. Right now, the Astros' peripherals (+14 runs through 25 games) indicate a team that should be in Wild Card contention in the NL. Doubt it lasts, but agree with you that it's worth keeping an open mind.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

A left handed starting pitcher whose been one of the best in baseball the last 3-4 years is valued way more highly than a 20hr 80 RBI corner who can't play defense. And the Astros got 2 of the 3 Phillies top prospects and another in the top 10.

More than certain Astros get top prospects in return.