1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you first start REALLY watching the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RC Cola, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

92-93 Mad Max Ot Hakeem Kenny

2. hunt23

hunt23 Member

I became a lifelong fan back during the 1980,81 season.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't remember the exact year but I've been watching since Don Chaney was head coach.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I knew who Akeem was because I met him at the University of Houston-Victoria Campus. It was a birthday party for the school or the campus...I don't remember, it was back in the 80's. Akeem showed up for this school event and I got his autograph on a red, rubber mini-basketball... over the years, it turned into a big blue inkspot! HAHAHA...

but I didn't get into the Rockets until a year or two after I moved to Houston in '91... I actually started to watch them during the first championship years... talk about exciting, having just started to follow the team, then for them to win it all!! Awesome.

I was never a basketball fan until I moved to Houston and started to watch the Rockets.

That same year I also saw my first game at the Summit. A friend had somehow procured 2 of Kenny Smith's family tickets and we sat about 5-6 rows up, near center court... It was a beautiful thing. He was never able to get tickets like that again, but after that, I was hooked.

5. Houstone

Houstone Member

Last year when I was 6 years old, I really started getting into them. Now that i'm 7 i'm hooked to them 4 life. :)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I started following them the year they moved to Houston. 72 or 73 I think.

DD

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

WHAT!?? UofH-Victoria is not that far from where I live. I live just outside Victoria, in a small,small town called Placedo. Suprised people have actually been to Victoria.

:D

I hope that wasn't a typo, or something. :(

8. darin1998

darin1998 Member

Beginning of Twin Towers era; remembering the shot heard aroud the world by Ralph at LA Forum; L Lloyd and M. Miggins with drug habbits; Sonics being our/my arch nemisis, always!; Jim Pederson. ha!

9. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also started following them when they moved from SD I believe in 71 or 72. They were pretty bad back then and there were some pretty sparse crowds at Hofheinz Pavillion.

They used to practice at HBU where I went to school. I remember seeing half the Celtics team (before Bird when they were bad) smoking cigarettes in the locker room (at a Baptist school).

Houston Native

10. RC Cola

I'm a bit disapointed. I thought there would be more fans who watched from last year, or just joined this year. I wanted to make fun of all of them and say I've the Rockets longer than them. :)

But alas, only HotRocket (my age.) and Houstone(7?:confused: ) have watched less than me. Darn. :(

11. red

red Contributing Member

about the 89-90 season...watching the games and playing on my nerf goal that hung on the back of my bedroom door...ahhh good times...good times...

12. stopie

stopie Member

I first started following UofH (PHI SLAMMA JAMMA) in 82'. I was ecstatic when the Rockets selected Dream and i've been following them ever since. I hope we can get back to the "HUMBLE BUT HUNGRY" Rockets of always. That's what really made me fall in love with this organization. I think Yao Ming is a step in the right direction.

13. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Well it's not like I didn't watch any games before that year. I tried to watch the NBA finals those two years, but being like 9 or 10, I kept falling asleep... Oh well, at least I still have those "WCF T-Shirts..." Eat that David Robinson:p

But of course, I really only started watching when Barkley got hurt out of all times...

#33 HotRocket, Aug 16, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  14. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I started being a Rockets fan during the 1995 playoffs. I never followed basketball until then because the Rockets were such a hot ticket in Houston. My first Rockets game that I saw was Game 7 of the Phoenix series. I went to my first Rockets game two years ago when the Nets came to town. Ever since 1995 I've been a die-hard Rockets fan and have practically lived and died throughout each season.

15. RC Cola

Yeah, but I think I watched those, too. That's why I added the REALLY part. Hehe... I probably started watching about maybe a month or two before you. Weird.

Hopefully, no one lied about when they REALLY watched. :mad:

16. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

I've been a fan ever since Dream was drafted. That's when I started watching basketball. I was in junior high then.

I actually made a journal entry my sophomore year of high school I think (maybe freshman) about how Mad Max went off on Jordan for 50 or 51 points and I wrote how the Bulls didn't match up well with the 'Rox and the 'Rox would take 'em if they could just GET THERE! That was in the late '80's around '88 or '87.

17. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

DOD - do you remember your first wooden basket hoop??? :D

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Began following around the '92-'93 season and beginning of the first championship season. However, I really started watching from '96 onwards -- when I was about 13.

Azim da Dream

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My parents gave me a Rockets cap after going to a game on my birthday. I didn't go to the game, but I still own the cap and wear it occasionally. That birthday was in January of 1994 before they won the championship. Me and the hat have been there ever since.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I went to see their first game in AstroHall-- against the Sixers as I recall. I was a fan when they first came to Houston. What year was that... 1971 or so.

I had cut my basketball teeth watching Elvin Hayes play for the Coogs. We were very excited when he came back to Houston with the Rockets.

I watched them in Hofheinz. I think I've only been to one game at the Summitt, although I did go to the draft when they passed on Harold Minor and picked some stringbean named Robert Horry--- who, by the way, should still be a Rocket!