1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you first start REALLY watching the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RC Cola, Aug 15, 2002.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm pretty new when it comes to the Rockets. Some of you "old-timers" can remember Hakeem back when he was Akeem. While others, like me, have been Yaoed. Well, anyway, when did you first start really watching the Rockets? It doesn't count if you just saw one game of the playoffs or something like that. Basically when you followed them the whole season. If it was the other way, I'd of been a die-hard fan since 94, when I was 8. I started really following the Rockets in the 99-2000 season, coincedentally(sp?) when they got Francis. I've followed them closely ever since. A WHOLE 3 YEARS! :)

2. mav3434

mav3434 Member

after they went to finals with Moses back in 81 is when I first remember caring. So maybe I have been watching them for 21 years! dammit I feel old. :(

Well, I take that back, i didn't start watching every game I could till 84 or so, in the beginning of the twin towers. Those teams right before then were just sooooooo bad, and I was just a kid so I couldn't really stick with it. Terry Teagle and James Bailey were the offense! James Bailey!!

#2 mav3434, Aug 15, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Me too, about 1980. Moses was very,very good. He is one of the most underrated centers in the game. He played with so much effort that when he got older , he wasn't nearly as effective as Kareem. A guy doesn't win 3 mvp's , take a .500 team to the playoffs and not be good.

4. Stylez

Stylez Member

My dad took me to my 1st game when I was 6 back in 84-85 Akeem's rookie year and I remember them going to the finals and crying like a little girl when they lost in the Finals back in 86. As far as REALLY REALLY following the Rocks I guess it would be around 92 and I was better able to comprehend what the hell was going on :) . It was really great when the Rocks rose up and punked everyone to go back-2-back in the mid-90's.

Unfortunately the Rocks got away from me a bit when I went to college from 98-99. In 2000 I go to live in NY for the year and get college credits for interning. Whne I was htere I went to MSG to watch the Knicks play the Rocks. It was Francis' rookie year so it was my first chance to see him play and he dropped like 33pts. He hit a 3 on 3 consecutive occsassions and even had Knock fans ooohhhing. I even risked a beat down by opnely cheering for the Rockets :D . After that I went from being a pretty big fan to being a HUGE Rocks fan. I even bought a season ticket last yr. before I had even found a job after graduation. Now I'm sad b/c I'm moving to Miami (Law School) and will only be able to see 7 games when I come back for the holidays.:(

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hmmm...good question.

I have a small recollection of rodney mcray and lewis lloyd and some drug problem (lloyd?). I remember watching Sleepy Floyd a lot. But I think the first season I was a hardcore, "rarely miss a game" Rockets fan was the 92-93 season when the Rockets and Hakeem's run really began. In my opinion, Dream should have won MVP that year over Barkley, but there was no way he could compete with all the hype. Dream somehow gained the greatest arsenal of moves a big man has ever possessed seemingly over night. I remember I was at Astroworld when they got kicked out of the playoffs by the Sonics. I was listening to the game on a radio. Damn, that sucked. But, I was only upset for about one year. :D I was about twelve at the time.

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I remember reading the Houston Chronicle back in the 1990-91 season when I was 12, that is when I started following them in the paper. I think we lost to the LA Lakers in the first round 3-0. After that season I started watching every game on 20 vision and listened to the home games on 740 until we got cable. I have been a die-hard sleep deprived Rockets fan since. I miss Sleepy!

#6 Sonny, Aug 15, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I started watching them around 1979 or 1980. I was only 10-11 at the time but I was a big fan of Calvin Murphy. I ended up really getting into them as a team by the early 80's and even went to Rudy T's basketball camp the summer before 7th grade.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Around 1984.

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Man, most of you were "die-hard" fans before I was born. I feel all young and immature.

My time will come, though. For once, I'd like to say back in the day, and not mean, yesterday. :)

10. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

I would probably have to say I first started watching them when I lived in Austin Tx when they won the championship with Ellie and them. I always remembered how I wish Austin had a team. So I had to become a fan of one of the Texas teams so I chose Houston. I guess only cuz they won the championships! But anyways I've been rooting for them ever since then and was happy when my mom got a job in Houston so I could actually see my team in action on a semi regular basis. Ok thats my story:rolleyes:

11. Since75

Since75 Member

Since75, same as the login name.

12. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I started watching right after Barkley got hurt, and for some reason I didn't stop. Ever since then I've watched, been to, and taped every Rockets game as possible.

Jeeze, I didn't notice how many "Old people" were here. I'm only 16, and most of you guys were watching games before I was even born...

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

as far back as second grade (89-90) i can remember writing in my class journal how awesome hakeem was and how much jordan sucked so i must've been paying some attention. and i can remember reading about chaney getting fired, and when hakeem got elbowed by cartwright and missed 25 games and i also remember thinking hakeem got screwed out of the mvp in 93. i even remember a game with jordan in it, but before 93-94 i can't remember actually sitting down and watching many games. however, i became a watch every game if i'm in the vicinity of a tv with hse (good ol' home sports entertainment) or ch 20 in 93-94. got to see the whole 15 game winning streak and the title and everything. ahh back then titles seemed like regular happenings.

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

1976 was the year I discoverd there was another sport besides football. I was 7 at the time and I've been following the Rockets ever since.

15. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Ever since I have starting watching basketball at 8 years of age.

I was born and raised in Houston and I will always support the home team ( regardless of the sport).

Always have, always will...:cool: :cool: :cool:

16. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I watched them in 1967-68 when they were the San Diego Rockets, before relocating to Houston.

I'm older than dirt, but I'm still standing;)

Dallas Rocket

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

82/83 Season

18. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

I was going to Rockets games before I was even born! My mom was pregnant with me when she went to the 81 Finals. I have been a die-hard fan all of my life. My earliest memory of the Rockets is when my dad took me to a Rockets v. Jazz game and Stockton hit a 3 at the buzzer to win it for Utah. I was certain that Utah had cheated and that the Rockets won.:D I will always hate the Jazz.. its in my blood.

19. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I watched the 86 finals at a friend's house. I was oblivious until then.

20. Curly

Curly Member

Sometime in the mid 70's, when I figured it all out...