1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you find out what you wanted to do with your life?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Sep 7, 2006.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

A-train, i hope you aren't saving your good stuff for us.

:)

I'd laugh at your ass anytime if u really wanted to be a stand up.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Marine biology?

3. IROC it

IROC it Member

At 22.

Took me 9 years to finally get there though.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I work in a call centre and it's the WORST gig EVER.

I'm qualified in saying that because i've been rotting away in the same lace for nearly 5 NBA seasons.

My wife started University this year doing Pharmacy which is what she's always loved and dreamed of doing. Good for her.

That leaves me with no outs for the next 5 years at least. I have to stay in the job because it pays the bills and a little extra. I look elsewhere, but when you've been working in a call centre so long and not done Uni/College then there's not much on offer that pays anywhere near as well.

And then of course when the wife is out of school and starting to make some good $$ - she'll want to start reproducing. Leaving me of course, right back where I started. Stuck.

Im only fricking 23 and this is my lot in life.

Don't think I'm not grateful - I am. Everything in my life is sweet out side of work hours - but knowing your gonna be there for the rest of your life probably stings.

Also, don't think I don't have dreams, I do. I've always thought i'd have the chance to live them out one day - or at least chase hard for them. Then I got married.

It also ruins my enthusiasm for the future when I think too long on the state of world affairs. Kind of find myself living to get through each day caus it seems like we are counting down the days to some real s..t goes down, and things are really never the same again.

rant over

Happy to bare my soul with this post. Feels good to get some stuff off the chest.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

If it's an IT call center then study and get some certs. That and your experience should get you out. Keep your head up.

6. univac hal

univac hal Member

A year ago, at age 24. A little late, making achieving it that much tougher, but better than never

I've set 2015 as my target, hope the world doesn't end in 2012 after all :D

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Well, I'm sitting in a hotel in Pocatello, ID on my mandatory day off, waiting for my laundry to finish drying while pining for my wife and daughters (missed the first day of school and our anniversary is in three days and I'll be lucky to be home by 9/20), so perhaps this is not the best time, but...

I do love my job... fell in to it about 10 years ago... well into my 30's. Before that, I worked 4 different jobs. All of them I liked for the first year or so. Once I had everything figured out and there were no challenges left except doing the same thing in a different way, I'd get bored and want to move on. With Fire, the adrenaline rush when you get the call and the vastly different experiences on every big fire keep me juiced. Now, it's not that big of a deal to do boring work for 7 months because it allows me to do 5 months of fire... and I make more than any History major should ever make and at times, I have more responsibility and make tougher decisions than most business types.

Upshot is, I never really knew what I wanted to do, but I somehow found it. Keep learning and don't let yourself be so lazy that you automatically fall in to what others expect you to do... seek new experiences and you'll find something, even if it's in your 30s.

By the way, I have to be back at the fire at 0700 tomorrow, but at least I get to watch UT-osu tonight.

Now, I'm going to fold my clothes and take a nap.

8. h-townfan

h-townfan Member

I'm about to be 30 and I am just getting an idea of what I want to do. I want to get into real estate and eventually do a little photography on the side. It's never too late to do anything in life. Remember tomorrow is always a new day.

9. Pocket Rockets

when i first looked at it i thought it said p*rnography.

then i really read it :)

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

They're not mutually exlusive :) You might me on to something. Got me thinking at least :D

11. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

7-11-06...

Gametime...