1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did *I* become the "confused" one?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pimphand24, Mar 27, 2010.

?

Is it a Choice, a Preference, or is it Genetic?

1. It is all genetic. People are born Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. People "Prefer" to be Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bisexuals "Prefer" but Gays & Lesbians are born that way.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. It is all Choice. Preference is a false distinction.

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Bisexuals "Choose" but people are born Gay and Lesbian.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bisexuals "Choose" but people "Prefer" to be Gay and Lesbian.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I will ignore the thread's question. Its a mixture of Environment and Genetics.

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  9. I thought they were confused, but now I'm confused. This poll, however, is not confusing.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

People are born GLBT. It is genetic.
    It is a Preference to be GLBT
    It is a Preference for GL but BT choose
    It is a Preference for GLT but Bisexuals choose
    It is a Preference for GLB but Transgenders choose
    It is Genetic to be GL but BT prefer/choose
    People choose to be GLBT and "preference" is the same as choice.
    Other
    I thought they were confused, but now I'm confused

SOMEONE PLEASE TURN THIS INTO A POLL.

Yes, it is another gay discussion but this one is the best yet.
    For purposes of this thread, GLBT stands for Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender.

I was watching a TV show where a lesbian explained what being GLBT is all about. She said it is not genetic, it is not choice, it is "preference." I did not understand. I was :confused:

Preference? As in, I "prefer" oreos in my ice cream but next week it could be M&Ms? Or is it, I never liked white bread all along, I've always prefered wheat. How does a kid prefer wheat when he has never tried either or only tried one?

Is it something like a preference for women with blonde hair and I can't do otherwise? This may be the closest to a viable answer and it is a bad one.

Is preference and choice a false distinction? Or is one's preference determined by genes?

Let us assume that it is some outside force such as genes/"preference," where do the bisexual fall in? He/she seem capable of "choosing" between the two.

And transgender? Where does Transgender fall in? They think they are trapped in someone else's body; so someone is born a man but really is a woman. Somehow there was a mix-up between the brain and the genitals and surgery is needed, stat! Now men have the ability to give birth to a child! Awesome. Now I'm even more :confused: So where do the transgender fall in the genetic/preference/choice confusion :confused: ?

I am not homophobic. I admit that I don't like it when a guy is checking me out, but that is as far as it goes. If they don't hit on me, I'm cool. They can go in and out of the closet as they wish. But I think it is ridiculous that if I say something about gays, it is as if I said the N word.

Only religion is a choice which we protect from discrimination. Otherwise we generally protect from discrimination things outside of our control. Our country puts religion on another level, higher than anything, so don't compare being GLBT to faith.

If being GLBT is a choice, they don't have rights. If it is genetic, they may be entitled to rights such as marriage. Preference? What the hell is preference other than a poor attempt to straddle the line.

I demand some answers! Try addressing each category GLBT, because nobody in the mainstream movement explains how being Bisexual or Transgender fits in. In my opinion, it is a convenient topic to skip for the gay rights movement.

Oh wait... if being bisexual is a "preference," should they have a right to polygamy?

Confused yet?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Um, I think by sheer definition, transgender people "choose".

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Transgender? Definitely choice.
    Gay? Rarely choice.

Bi? Choice, but not with the same level of seriousness as trans folks.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sometimes it's genetic and sometimes it's a preference. Any time a definition involves a voluntary act or a feeling, choice is always a possibility.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How do you come to these conclusions?

Rocket River

6. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

ok, i thought that transgender merely meant that feeling of being trapped in someone's body, not the actual act of doing the surgery.

I guess we can move on from transgender and move on to the other topics.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that I would put bisexual as choice.

I mean, how can you chose what you find attractive in people? (both sexually and emotionally)

8. PointForward

PointForward Member

There hasn't been a single legitimate scientific experiment that proves that gheyness is "genetic". Ie: a ghey gene hasn't been found.

Until that happens, all of these are "choices". Which is fine by me, but get the hell outta here with the whole "we were born into it" crap.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Another AB turnover. :rolleyes:

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Disregard my stupid post.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that no evidence exists to a predisposition does not make them "choices" by default, that would make them "unknown" by default.

You're welcome to assume they are choices, as long as you apply the same assumption to heterosexuality. Since as much evidence exists for the argument of genetic disposition for straight people as well.

#11 DonnyMost, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  12. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I think the fact that only a man can reproduce with a woman is evidence enough for genetic disposition.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

All that is proven by that is who you can produce with.

Not who you are attracted to.

14. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Is that not proof that straight people have a genetic disposition to be straight?

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I assume you mean "is that not proof that people have a genetic disposition to be straight?" (straight people being disposed to being straight... is... kinda redundant :) )

But no, it does not.

Definitely not 100% of people, anyway.

16. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. Maybe I can rephrase: for humans (and most living things), there is a genetic disposition to reproduce with the opposite sex. By definition, a "disposition" is having a tendency towards something, but it's not 100%. So really, we're just arguing about what a disposition really is :)

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

For the sake of the argument, I'm talking in absolutes. Cause that is what you really have to do in order to shut the door on gay predisposition... as opposed to choice.

But like I said, the fact that your weewee and her hooha go together to make babies doesn't offer proof that anyone in particular (or everyone, for that matter) is born heterosexual.

#17 DonnyMost, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  18. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

So you're arguing that sexuality is strictly a matter of choice? No science involved whatsoever?

19. LScolaDominates

Your implicit assumption is that people wouldn't reproduce unless they were genetically predisposed to such. Thus, you conclude that the preponderance of human reproductive activity implies that people express their heterosexuality by genetic necessity. What you haven't considered, however, is the possibility that heterosexual reproduction is a function of human culture--a theory that would also account for the varied deviations from the norm of heterosexuality we find in nature.

"GLBT(Q)" are cultural categories which are subject to change depending on one's time and place. In ancient Greece, for example, pederasty was a common practice, though such behavior today is considered not only deviant but criminal.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

I think it's genetic or innate or something that we have no real control over (unless you want to grow up and be a family values Republican politician who parades his family in front of the voters and then has secret trysts with fellas).

All I know is I never once had a moment where I said to myself, "Self, I'd prefer kissing girls instead of boys." It just happened that I ended up kissing girls. I didn't know there were real gay people until about 8th grade (it was a different time).