1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did Germany turn so beta? Criminal inquiry into comedian's joke about Erdogan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

That evolves out of a larger pattern of criminalizing certain types of speech in Germany, a pattern Merkel seems to be trying to turn back.

That silly beta.

I do think her kowtowing to Erdogan is deplorable, but it wouldn't be the first time a Western leader had to smile and take s**t for a regressive regime.

Hopefully this debate starts turning towards how free speech works in different jurisdictions. I actually think ATW might have interesting insight on that.

While I am perhaps an extreme proponent of "offend and be offended but be free damn it", I do value seeing how other countries operationalize their thoughts on speech and limitations placed on it.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What we should stop and ask is: what do they think of our presidential candidates? We should totally go off of what the Germans think. That's what's important here.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I subscribe to the sticks and stones philosophy of free speech.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree with that (in case you haven't noticed by my posting in the D&D yet ;)).

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

the poem it self maybe was't entirely scurrilous , its just the way they vomit on each others when they speaks German made it offensive

[youtube]hDWw_0deJ3c[/youtube]

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Actually German is one of the most common languages Operas are done in. It's actually not a bad language if you don't have a drunk guy screaming words at you like in the video.

Arabic and Vietnamese are the ones that are ugly in my opinion.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Self-deprecating humor. You should try it sometime, rather than constantly being offended.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I see Adolf Hussein Merkel is bending over for the moeslems once again -- when will the GERMANS learn?

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

a drunk guy or a Swiss German !! specially when they proudly ask you to do this

khukhy khashdliylih <<--ultimate pronunciation test