1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your secret to losing belly fat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gambingo, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

BMI is not the same as body fat.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You're confusing BMI with body fat %.

BMI is body mass index and is only calculated using a person's height and weight, so no doctor is needed. The results don't correspond directly to body fat, but they are just a value you apply to a table.

Body fat is usually measured with calipers, but for more precise results, one can get a dexa scan at a doctor's office.

#82 RV6, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Where do you guys get your Chia seeds in Houston?

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I got mine at Kroger. $10 for like a pound. Price seems high, but a pound is a lot of seeds.

5. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I've noticed that once I started eating clean, I am more tempted to eat bad foods. If I'm eating bad then I'm not tempted to eat bad foods. :(

I get so hungry when I get off work. I eat breakfast, Lunch, and a mid afternoon snack like 4ish). My stomach is growling by 6pm. Does this mean that I need to eat more during day? I do not want to overdo it and I don't count calories. I go by portion sizes. I eat mainly protein and complex carbs.

At your grocery store if they have a health food aisle

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What's people's take on the idea of a "cheat day"? Where you just go bonkers and eat whatever you want.

I know a lot of people believe it helps keep their metabolism from adjusting to healthy eating, but I haven't studied the science behind it. Any strong opinions one way or the other?

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Purely psychological. In theory helps you to keep from cheating on the other 6 days of the week by looking forward to the cheat day.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you haven't been gaining weight, while trying to bulk and increase your strength, then you're probably not getting enough calories. If you feel low on energy, then that may also be a sign of not eating enough. when you're trying to increase muscle size, it's usually better to slightly over eat than end up under eating.

By bad foods, do you mean sugary or fatty stuff? I wouldn't worry too much about giving in to fatty stuff, just keep the trans fat and sat fat low.

As for sugary stuff, I'm not really crazy about having a cheat day, but do you have one? I prefer to give in a few times a week to suppress cravings. The important thing is to not over do it. I usually do it after sprinting or the tougher lifting workouts, to lessen the negative effects.

9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Cheat days boost your metabolism, after a while of calorie restriction your brain thinks your in starvation mode so it sends signals to stop calorie-burning metabolism and hold on to reserves. Cheat days shock the system and keep your metabolism revved for more fat-burning.

It also boosts hormones like liptin (a fat burning hormone). So if your reducing your calorie intake liptin levels fall, which reduces fat loss, but if you devour more calories liptin levels are likely to rise.:)You'll also boost your nutrition by giving your body nutrients you could be missing out on that aren't found in whatever strict diet you may have....and of course the main reason like you said is for a mental break from your repetitive boring diet.:)

But definitely plan your cheat days and don't just start binge eating. Try to eat clean at least 90-95% of the time and it should be fine, or adjust for slower or faster results.:) I personally try to have a cheat day only once a week, and currently haven't had one for about a month now.

Also i recently started drinking Diet Green Tea. I consume around two bottles a day, i was getting tired of drinking nothing but water. Does anyone know if two bottles a day is ok? Since there are conflicting opinions about the risks and effects about consuming artificial sugar substitutes....:)

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to slim down, *don't* eat at night. Only eat a small portion. It worked for me.

11. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

Rodman23,

I think you mean "Leptin," not Liptin.

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Oh thanks, i wasn't sure what it was called.:)

13. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Just buy the tea bags and make your own green tea. It will be cheaper and you don't have to worry about artificial sweeteners unless you have to absolutely sweeten your tea. I prefer my tea sans sugar.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Maybe you were just eating too much at night.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Keep telling yourself that. small glycogen refuel and most people's diets aren't even good enough to experience that on a cheat meal (much less a DAY). most competition diets don't include actual cheat meals but might have sporadic carb loading.

The psychological effect is nice for people though. Not knocking them. Something to look forward too.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

My guess is that green tea, Lipton i'm assuming, isn't very powerful. The idea of diet green tea is kind of silly. They're just trying to make more money and catering to what people are crazy over lately.

Go for traditional green tea, if you want to really benefit from it. Or in pill form.

17. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

[​IMG]

Ive lost about 20 lbs in the last month by drinking 2 of these each day. 0 exercise.

This brand of green tea has the highest amount of EGCG which speeds up your metabolism naturally.

I was 215 now I'm 195. Smallest I've been since I was like 14.

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I recently started working with a personal trainer who's been working on my diet as well and he says, one of the biggest rules, is NO carbs after 6. You want your body to burn what it already has stored while you sleep at night and not carbs you put in during the evening.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Suppose a you have carbs with 400cal at 4pm and suppose you workout at 6pm that uses 600cal. So your body is at -200 cal deficit. It has to get that 200 calories of energy from somewhere? Now after 7pm you have 200cal snack. So in essence you have a net of 0cal used.

Now suppose you have a 600 cal meal at 4pm do the same 600cal workout at 6pm. Now you still 0cal gained or lost.

I don't really understand how the timing can change the net energy consumption.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I lost about 30 pounds, pretty much all belly through diet mainly and walking. Ready? Grilled instead of fried. Chicken and fish. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Cut fat, salt, and sugar. Go brown instead of white; brown breads, brown rice, etc. I am so used to it that I now prefer the new eating style. Fried makes me sick, can't stand greasy in any way, love salads more than ever, actually crave them. This is not hard. I have kept the weight and the belly off for over a year. Occasionally, I "sin" with a treat like cake or ice cream, but my overall pattern is so consistent it doesn't seem to make any difference to splurge every now and then.