1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your secret to losing belly fat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gambingo, Jul 22, 2012.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

6' 0" -- 190lbs and I'll kick your ass.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Belly fat is a function of mostly cardio and diet. Do at least 30 minutes of 130 heart rate, and cut calories out of your diet - mostly be switching sugar and carbs for veggies and protein. Don't drink booze. Also, you only lose about 1.5 lbs a week max, so 3-4 weeks isn't very long. Weightlifting 2 or 3 times a week wil help you to retain muscle as well.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Different people gain weight for different reasons. Look at your life and figure out where you're screwing up. Too many calories? Sugar/carbs? Salt (makes you look bigger because of water weight)? No muscle mass? A combination of these? Once you figure out what your own body needs, you'll get much faster and better results.

Same goes for the belly fat. Different people had different fat distribution. Some people can gain weight and not show much of a belly. Others will by just gaining a few pounds. Keep losing fat, eventually you'll get down to burning more of the belly fat.

#63 RV6, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You still making progress? I dropped another 1/2" and down to 30". I dropped more weight, even though I had cheesecake and 2 serving of creme brulee, last night. I am down to 144 lbs. I am still working on getting to 29" and 140 lbs.

5. gambingo

gambingo Member

I think i'm making progress, but im going to wait for another month or so to hit the scale and take a measurement of my waist again. My jeans feel a bit looser this week so that's a good sign.:)

Good to hear you're hitting your goals. The last time i weighed 145ish was like a couple years ago lol.

I've actually gained about 3lbs in this month, they're muscle gain though so i'm not discouraged. Appreciate all the stuffs you guys post, though some make me really hungry.:(

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If you are hungry, it is ok to eat. The important thing is not to binge. If you fill up on vegetables, the bulk will keep you from feeling hungry. Be careful with dressing and sauces, though. I find that a little olive oil and some seasoning goes a long way.

You better watch out for friends or coworkers, after you drop a few inches. They will tempt you with free food or snacks, especially the women that love to cook. lol.

7. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

I am currently doing big breakfast, big lunch, fruits for dinner or nothing at all.

8. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

If you guys want to compare yourselves against the USA/rest of the world:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

BMI: 22

According to this calculator, I have a lower BMI than 90% of males in this country. On a global scale, it's only lower than 57%.

Damn America, we fat.

9. updawg

updawg Member

Lol, I just did that as well with similar numbers as you

You know the fat asses have won when you have to request unsweet tea

10. updawg

updawg Member

A 12 pack is ok if combined with plenty of blow and cigarettes

11. Burko

Burko Member

If could provide the OP with one bit of advice, it would be to competely ignore the above post.

If you start doing weighted ab exercises, you'll build muscle, and if you are building muscle under a layer of fat what do you propose the outcome will be?

12. Rockets Ball

Rockets Ball Member

How to you feel about taking supplements? They will only work if you are sticking to your diet and training. If you really want to lose belly fat it starts in the kitchen, remember that.
    Try the following and it should help you boost your metabolism:
    L-carnitine
    Green Tea Extract

Google them if you want to know how they will help.

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's pretty simple, just takes the 3 D's: discipline, dedication, and determination.

Pretty obvious, but eating healthy (and not over eating) and exercise will accomplish this goal. Genetics and age will play a part in this, but a very small percentage of people actually are at a disadvantage due to genetics (most people are just lazy).

Breakfast: Fruits, grains, yoguart, etc. Eat a large enough breakfast to hold you over until lunch, but not too large. Have a breakfast high in nutrition and high in fiber. Get your body the nutients it needs.

Lunch and dinner: Just eat healthy, stay away from fried foods and foods high in saturated fats. Eat veggies as sides, rather than chips.

Indulge yourself once in awhile. Don't just completly give up sweets and foods you love. Eating them every couple days and not in large quantaties is fine. Taste is one of our 5 senses and if you only eat bland foods every day, staying on a diet is going to be hard.

Health is a marathon, not a sprint! Crash diets don't work. Eat healthy and exercise. Change in your lifestyle requires a lifelong process, quitting cold turkey wont work 99% of the time.

Here are some of my do's and dont's.

Exercise 4-6 times a week. Include cardio and weights and stretching. Stay away from sugar drinks (especially soda). Fruit jucies (not from concentrate) are OK, but they're high in sugar, so don't over do them, or cut them out until you're happy with your weight. Get all your servings of fruts and veggies: being healthy doesn't mean being skinny, you're better off with a little belly fat and getting all your nutrition than being super skinny and only consuming 1k calories daily.
    Eat fiber. Other than the many health benefits of fiber (lowers cholesterol, helps blood sugar, prevents certain cancers and heart disease, etc), fiber also keeps you full longer.

This part is hard, but try to eat only what you make. Take at a look at the back of a can or the box of food you're going to eat. You can't pronounce half of the stuff in it! That's kinda disturbing. I know this part doesn't actually help you lose weight, but it has to do with being healthy. I made chili the other day... I looked at the back of a hormel can, there were maybe 4 items I knew what they were, then a dozen of fillers and things to extend the shelf life. So, what went into my chili? Beef, chicken broth (homemmade from left over chicken bones), tomato sauce from a can (only things in it were tomatoes, water, and a few other natural ingredients not made in a lab), and spices. Tastes a million times better than the crap from a can.

Some things I suggest to friends when they're trying to lose weight:
    Don't bother with pills or supplements. They just empty your pocket book and don't really help much.
    Drink green tea
    And this one I just started: eat chia seeds - They're full of fiber (like 20% of your dv in 1 tbsp). I eat 2 tablespoons for breakfast with some yougart, fruite, bagel, etc, and im full till lunch.
    Get enough sleep
    Swimming is great. If you're not a decent swimmer, get some lessons (I do them for $20/half hour). Once you get to a point where you can swim without stopping to breathe, you'll start dropping the pounds and get toned.
    Keep active, not including your exercise. If you like to rock climb, do that one evening rather than watching a couple hours of tv. Just keep off your butt as long as possible. Keeping active not only burns calories, but it also keeps you from getting bored and eating.

There's many more. If you want more advice, I'm here to help.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

BMI is not a good tool to use. It doesn't take enough into consideration to give accurate results from individual to individual. Muscular people tend to be classified as fat.

Strong fat? ;)

15. The Law

The Law Member

Get your ass off of a computer and go do a sit up. Start with that...

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Go to a gym and instead of splitting your workout into upper and lower body do a full body workout 3-4 times a week. Your metabolism will dramatically increase compared to split body workouts and you'll burn a lot of fat.

Diet is also important. You can exercise all you want but if you still eat the same way you do you'll never lose fat.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yes, I second this.
    I started building muscle and actually started gaining some weight.
    My BMI jumped from 20 to 22 because it counted muscle as fat. Boo!

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You have to go to a dr to get an actual bmi. online 'calculations' and scales dont work, especailly for anyone with above avg muscle.

scales and online calculations say im low 20s, but docs say im a little over 10.

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

A little over 10?

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Chia seeds are the bomb. I eat them every day for breakfast, mixed into my steel cut oats and blueberries.