1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your secret to losing belly fat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gambingo, Jul 22, 2012.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I went from 37 1/2" inch waist to 30 1/2" in 5 months. I dropped 30 lbs with mostly diet. I did hardly any cardio. I only hit the weights 3-4 times a week. If I was you, I would skip the cardio or limit it. Cardio is ineffective without adjusting diet. There is a compensation effect, where people end up eating more. Cardio stimulates the appetite. If you do want to continue with the cardio, I would take an appetite supressant like green tea or strong black coffee.

I skipped breakfast. I had 5-6 oz of lean meat and 1-2 cups of vegetables most of time. If I eat fast food, I skip the side dish or replace it with vegetables. It's all about calories in and calories out.

Stomach fat is the last to go though.

#21 BetterThanEver, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You initially were saying that dropping body fat percentage to get abs is BS...My point is that getting abs to show is directly correlated to your body fat percentage...doesnt matter if you are a skinny guy with a big tummy or whatever else body type you may have. If you have 10% body fat, I guarantee you have a six pack. There is no such a thing as a guy with 10% body fat with a stomach that isnt ripped.

And in order to reach that 10-12% body fat percentage, you either need to rely on genetics....or an exercise program that mixes long and short twitch muscle fibers with a balance of cardio and weight training. And diet.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, it'll take much longer than 3-4 weeks

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Reading his training regime i immediately saw that he is taking that advice the wrong way.

5. gambingo

gambingo Member

Thx for all the input guys. I'm not trying to get ripped abs, just want to shed the belly fat :p. I will definitely add some of the exercises suggested into my routine and watch my diet.

I eat fast food like twice a week. I snack alot though especially when it comes to chips and ice cream. I've already cut back on those since i started getting back in shape.

6. rezdawg

I agree with everything that I didnt quote...

Breakfast is the most important part meal of the day in order to lose fat. 20 grams of protein within an hour of waking up will allow you to lose more than 5 pounds in a given month, compared to not eating breakfast at all. It's very important to get your metabolism kick started.

And calories in and calories out is too basic of a formula. Depends on the types of calories you are eating...if you are getting your calories predominantly from proteins, then you will lose more fat than if you are getting the same calories from carbohydrates.

7. rezdawg

Cutting back carbohydrates is the single most effective way to lose fat.

For 8 weeks, I did the following: Protein shake in the morning, meat, beans and veggies for lunch, snacked on nuts after work, and meat, veggies, beans for dinner. One day a week, I would eat anything I want...ice cream, cake, pizza, burgers, etc...

I did zero exercising. Only changed diet. I went from 168 lbs to 152 lbs...and cut my body fat percentage by approximately 7%.

8. gambingo

gambingo Member

I dont really have a fix diet. For breakfast, it's usually a bake potato & banana, or a bowl of cereal & banana, or skip it. Snacks in between to lunch.

For lunch, it could be a just a sandwhich or fast food. Then more snacks in between till dinner.

Usually i will have a big dinner home cook food and then more snacks until sleep.

9. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Look for the "So Delicious" brand in the grocery store if you must feed your sweet tooth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ice cream is made from coconut milk, is really tasty, dairy free, no sugar added and is only 100 calories a serving. Make sure to get the no sugar added versions. I've found it in whole foods, kroger and central market in houston.

Also buy some of these to satisfy the tooth:

[​IMG]

My favorite is the apple pie!

Seriously though, cut out the fast food.

1 person likes this.
  10. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

There's those that just want to lose weight for the sake of just losing weight. And there's those that want to lose weight AND be in shape. I'm sure eating properly without exercise will help you drop pounds, and it's a good alternative if you have the patience in the world and are in no hurry to lose weight since cardio is the MOST effective way of burning fat.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I want to get my body fat to 12 percent. Currently at 14 percent. Trying my best to eat right.

12. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

You really have to cut the carbs and fatty foods then couple it with exercise and cardio.

I have never seen anyone lose those flabs sucessfully without resisting the temptation to eat heavy meat, especially those delicious products like bacon, hotdogs, steak, barbeque etc. :grin:

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am getting closer to the 29" waist. It may take another 4 weeks.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's been my experience that you lose fat in the reverse order that you gained it; your body has a propensity to store fat in certain areas. So if you got the gut first, it's going to be the last to go.

Also: Cut sodium, eat MORE meals, but healthy, like egg beaters, oatmeal, grilled chicken, rice, fruit when you need energy.

15. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

u cant target a certain area for fat loss

calorie deficit + exercise is all u need

16. Nook

Nook Member

Cut carbohydrates, go on a more natural diet like a paleo diet.

17. supdudes

supdudes Member

Do lots of plyo.

And when acceptable, twitch alot (ei fidget, shake your leg). Eat alot of fibre (celery is esp good because you use more energy "digesting" it than you get out). Avoid sugary and or processed food like they're gonna kill you (half true,btw). Eat at least three times a day, if not more, and tone down the size of each meal.

Try to walk as much as possible, and jog on your off days. Do resistance training if you can, though yoga's probably better for you.

^ should cut your fat down but a noticeable amount in a month or two

18. supdudes

supdudes Member

O and ppl may not like this, but for overall health, VEGETABLES are the king. Good fruits to eat are blueberries, papaya, and a few others I can't remember. But most others are only good for vit C, which is in excess most of the time.

Meat's are good for two reasons. One, they taste awesome. Two, they provide protein obviously. But eating two much meat acidifies your body, which can in turn cause alot of problems.

Basically you meals should be 60-70 percent veggies, and about 20 meat.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

there's no science to back up this claim

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

That's right, the freaking American College of Sports Medicine, which wants everyone to exercise, says the notion that it will prevent you from gaining weight is not supported by data.

20. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Insanity. I've done 5 weeks and I'm down 25 pounds and have gone from a 42" waist to 36"? It has all forms of exercise and you don't have to buy any equipment. Do it.