1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your personal biggest fear of Trump's presidency?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Nov 9, 2016.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who? She's just as responsible for this f***ing mess as he is.

I am only glad this morning that I don't have a daughter. I won't have to explain to her that someone like Trump...a man that treats women like disposable toys...can be elected to the highest office in the land.

As far as what fears I might have...I'm concerned for my wife. She's a fairly new teacher. If he guts education as he promised, she could be out of a job. I'm concerned that he could send the economy into a massive tailspin, worse than 2008. I'm concerned about multiple wars starting since he's so easily provoked with just simple tweet. I'm concerned for my LBGT friends who have recently been married and some that are about to adopt a child having the right to do so taken away.

And please do not give me any bulls*** about "draining the swamp" as you voted in just about every incumbent out there.

#101 leroy, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Two Sandwiches and vstexas09 like this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm sorry but is nobody here going to tell this guy off?

Last I checked more than 30% of the military is comprised of minorities, and nearly 40% of the US population is a minority. So the stats show that close to the same relative percentage of the population contributes to the military. I take offense to you talking down to people of color, and insinuating they don't contribute to the military.

What country we want to "liberate"....??? Are we in the age of the crusades or something? Has the US not been ACTIVELY involved in the Middle East now for 30+ years? Or by "Liberate" do you just mean "Bomb the S#$% Out Of" (in the words of Trump himself)?

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

yea Hillary has no foreign ties........

4. tallanvor

how would you explain Bill Clinton to your daughter?

Cranberry_Juice likes this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Member

My biggest fear is that he will revert to his liberal past and appoint a liberal to the SCOTUS.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My biggest fear is that in four years abortion will still be legal, gay marriage will still be legal and manufacturing jobs won't have come back while the economy will be in recession, Medicare and Social Security will be gutted, children with disabilities and medical conditions will have no access to health insurance and the hate and divisiveness in this country will be even worse than today.

Basically that all of the people who voted for Trump will get none of what they wanted but that we'll all get penalized economically.

Now, hopefully that isn't the case. Hopefully Trump was playing a character and when he basically says he's smarter than generals on war, economists on the economy, etc. he was just playing to the current "Anti subject matter expert" vibe in America. Hopefully the Republican majorities aren't so afraid that they just give him whatever he wants.

We'll see.

cml750 likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Global Thermal Nuclear War.

DD

bnb likes this.
  8. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

It's not about foreign ties, it's about Trump praising dictators, speaking and acting like dictator. What message does it send to rest of civilized world when the frontrunner of civilized world elects a guy who's dictatoresque? I get the dissatisfaction with Clinton yada yada, but look bigger picture, Clinton was the lesser evil, a 4 year standin before you find a decent candidate. Trump is the beginning of an end.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We are about to see what happens with the market over the next few days. If its as bad as respected economists predict, I would say a global recession would affect us at the ground working class level pretty hard.

Me personally.... I'm coming to the end of my work contract right now, and I work in the Tech industry. I'm very concerned about the Economy taking a hit at the end of the year, and me struggling to get a job in January if companies start cutting back. Its a real concern for me personally.

That being said, its really up to Trump himself to essentially walk back everything he campaigned for in order to contribute to global economic stability... which I actually expect him to do believe it or not.

Obama was right that as President of the USA, your words actually do matter. Its not reality TV or even Twitterverse anymore for Trump. Real sh#$ is actually at stake by saying crazy sh#$.

Will our lives change.... probably not, but there are some key issues that will be affected over time that we won't see at face value -

Things to watch-

A. Healthcare reform or repeal of Obamacare - 20 Million people instantly lose insurance, pre-existing condition legislation, and college age coverage. This one will impact real people really quickly. Also, anyone with half a brain understanding how publicly traded companies work will tell you that YOUR RATES WILL NOT GO DOWN by repealing Obamacare. The healthcare companies have already forecasted earnings based off of current rates. Even if you repeal Obamacare the Healthcare companies will not have the ability to reduce rates.

B. US involvement in Mosul/ISIS battle - Will Trump send in ground support if the fight lasts longer than expected over the next few months? Special forces are already there, but this brings me to C...

C.... which will be a big moment for Trump to show how far to the right he really is in terms of the middle east. I think that will send a big message globally, and will also tell us ALOT of how he's colluding or standing against Putin. I think the obvious answer here is you'll see the US step back, and Russia/Assad increase their foothold of Syria. Russia's insistance on having a pissing contest with the rest of the Western Allies and trying to power back in Europe & the middle east will be the big story globally coming out of the Trump presidency... and while that might not affect us on the Micro level, on the Macro level & the shaping of OUR WORLD moving forward its pretty damn important, and Trump has a pretty key role to play in this.

JJWhat? and FTW Rockets FTW like this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BTW...dont be surprised if Obama pardons Clinton on his way out.....just in case Trump tries to follow thru with his prosecution threat.

11. tallanvor

Obama: 'I've got a pen, I've got a phone'. He literally bragged about bypassing congress (which he did constantly) and you are worried about trump behaving like a dictator?

12. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Not happening. That would be like admitting she's a criminal, no way Republicans and Obama want that shade dropping on them.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wait, what, Trump didn't win?

bnb likes this.
  14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Lol, not gonna lie. The Democrats could have picked anyone else to beat Trump and and the Republicans could have picked anyone to beat Hillary.

What does that say? Horse race, or horse gimmick?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Obama won the Nobel peace prize in 2009 for nuclear nonproliferation but in February this year he signed off on a 1 trillion dollar nukes program. If there is a nuclear arms race it's not because of Trump.

16. NewRoxFan

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

He might as well, that whole situation is a cluster f for the Democrats, what's one more thing added to it? Either way, she's gone in politics, which after the wikileaks is a good thing. Hopefully politics get more fair, but it's probably more of a lesson on how to not get caught.

I'm also betting even if Obama doesn't, Trump probably won't bother. They'll probably be seen together soon enough at some dinner.

18. NewRoxFan

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You are ignoring the role Congress played there, by refusing to work with him. I don't want to play the game of "they started it". Let's just say that neither side wanted badly enough to find common ground with the other. I think this is the basic problem with politics in our country. People are too interested in demonizing the other side because that's what helps them get elected, rather than looking for compromise.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is a total misunderstanding of how Obamacare has impacted rates.

Forget about rates going down or up. The bigger fear should be that a repeal of Obamacare early without protection would allow the insurance companies to cancel their plans in 2017.

For example, United Healthcare sold plans in 2016 and then took a massive loss. However, they continued to sell those plans throughout the year because ACA rules prevented them from just cancelling them all mid stream and leaving the market. If Obamacare is repealed or if there is momentum towards a repeal, the insurance companies that are taking losses could just essentially tell anyone covered by individual plans that they are dropping all plans in say August without any fear of consequences with the expectation that they will just start over with a new set of rules once the dust settled.

This would leave MILLIONS of disabled and seriously ill people with literally no options to get the services they need and from a business standpoint you couldn't blame the insurance companies for doing it.

But to your point about rates, insurance companies profits are regulates in market spaces right now. If they go back to a non-guaranteed issue space they could absolutely lower rates again. Heck they already offer products with much lower rates in the non-guaranteed issue space, you just don't meet ACA rules for the tax penalty. The insurance companies would absolutely LOVE to only sell individual plans similar to say a United Healthone Short term plan. The rates are 60% cheaper than ACA plans but they will decline anyone with any medical conditions.