1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your opinion of John Wall's current ability?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jan 15, 2022.

?

What's your opinion of John Wall's current ability?

1. Don't let the recent tank commander role fool you - dude is an All-Star!

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Obviously he's grossly overpaid - but he's still a really good player!

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Meh... he's a decent starting starting option for most teams...

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Idk, I think the dude kinda sucks... he could be a reasonable starter - on a crappy team i guess...

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. He's done... he can be a decent 6th man or bench player on a cheap contract...

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Straight up scrub - do not want even on a min contract!

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Facilitating what exactly? Who do you think is trading 44m of their roster for an expiring contract? Serious question.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and another roster spot... Ego to Cleve, pocket the frp, cut Rubio... roster spot...
    Wood is in play... KPJ is on shaky ground... there are many potential moving pieces that can be jockeyed for the right opportunity...

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Assuming Wall can still play; at a competent level, but not all star level, aren't there lot of other guards (old or young) around the league who can give the same production but at a cheaper price. With those options other teams aren't lining out the door.

A rebuild team is doing development (and try out) for future PGs, Wall would be in the way of that. Gordon and DJ are willing to come off the bench, Wall isn't. Distribution duties aside, can Wall drain the 3ball like Gordon this year, or at Augustine's efficientcy for that matter?

Similar to OKC, (but a lesser extent), a rebuild team can take on bad contract(s) for perks (picks/prospects). Meaning we're renting out cap space, such that if another GM wants to fix his bloated contract mistake, he gives OKC or HOU a call. We take calls because of said perks. Difference between us and OKC, Stone lined up the contracts so we have financial flexibility at 2023 to resign the young puppies (if they pan out) and maybe get a good free agent or two. Hope is by then, the rookies and sophomores will be worth something, and the Org isn't stuck on the hamster wheel.

As pro labor, pro-player person, I also don't feel too bad for Wall, because he's still getting his pension from his Wizard years. Man is collecting his checks, so props to him and his family.

Wall was here for his contract, to make Russ go away. The games playing was a bonus, they gave a year already and it didn't work. This is why Dipo got traded and Wall is sitting. We went full rebuild. Wall's audition was over when him and Stone sat in the summer. Playing him again is a step backward.

Rockets needed games to know if KPJ is worth it. For pro KPJ fans this is development time. For fans, who thinks kpj's a sixth man or a slasher forward, we're giving the org a chance to get this experiment out of their system.

What I don't want is Wall starting, and muddy up the situation. Silas/Stone becomes indecisive about KPJ. And they lack direction on guards, going into next draft.

#23 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    DeBeards and kjayp like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

:checks watch:

Oh look! It's time to review the two options for John Wall again.

1. He accepts buyout.
    2. We burn 1sts to ditch him.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

an allstar, and perfect for Silas' System

kjayp likes this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think he's clearly a useful player but just not anywhere close to his contract. His contract makes him a negative asset, and that's why he's not getting moved. The rockets would have to give up picks just to dump the contract. I don't expect him to be traded.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

only thing is trading to him the clippers is your dealing with jerry west. that dude is going to win every trade.

kjayp likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Unless you're Tillman and half your net worth is tied up in shrimp futures you have literally nothing hinging on this.

Sunk cost - no trade value

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Even burning firsts wouldn't be enough to ditch him. A team would either have to give their star player plus 2 or 3 other players or maybe as many as 6 of their lower level players just to match the salary. Nobody is trading a third of their active roster for an expiring contract. The only way Wall gets traded or moved without opting out and becoming a FA is if a team thinks he:s a valuable player they actually want to play. I really don't think people are realising exactly how difficult it is to make up 40m of salary without trading away actual top tier players. The only other way to match salary would require us having the space to take back 5 or 6 players we don't have space for.

Corrosion, kjayp and Dankstronaut like this.
  10. kjayp

as a sidenote, and as i alluded to earlier... dont you want some vets around helping to mold these youngsters? Isnt that key to their development? Now i'm not saying John Wall is or isnt the guy to lead the way... but it sure as hell aint Wood or KPJ... and are you really looking to heap that responsibility on a rook?
    Don't we need some vet leadership as part of the process?
    As I mentioned earlier, everybody seems to be about the 'developmental time table' and having a group of guys that are all going to come to fruition at the same time... Wouldnt these guys benefit more from having a reeled in facilitate first John Wall (or whatever vet) directing traffic so guys learn where they need to be - as opposed to KPJ running around like a chicken with his head cutoff...
    like i said, not saying Wall is or isnt that guy and whether or not he could fill the facilitate first role... but more about veteran presence on the roster with the youngsters...

11. TimDuncanDonaut

Speaking for me. While I look at timetables, I'm don't discount Wood or Wall because of age. I know other posters do (and that's fine). Personally, I've been rooting for Gordon and Augustin. They technically are not in the timetable but they fit in just fine well the Rookies. For off-court mentoring, Rockets kept Wall around the bench and practice.

Sounds like you're in the camp of KPJ as PG experiment is over, I'm kinda with you. :D But I think the Rockets Org is still very high on KPJ as PG and that affects the suggestions we give. The one game suspension, the playing down of the incident...etc. The org is irrationally high on him. In that scenario, you need the org to see it for themselves instead of becoming wishy-washy because Rockets fan base strong armed them.

As far as PG duties, if you want the starting lineup to be calm and collected. Just start DJ. DJ can set the table at least. DJ is small defensively. But the advertised Wall/Dipo defensive back court last year wasn't that special. If you think Josh is good enough and want to do development; start Josh. keep DJ in 2nd unit, call up Nix if injuries or health & safety.

Is Wall a better PG than KPJ? Yes.

But I don't trust giving the point guard 'keys' to Wall at this point. Because of pride and perception.
    1) Money: Wall wants to get another contract (likely not with us). To do so he needs to feature his scoring, even if passing is what the team needs.

2) Perception: This is evident of him not wanting to come off the bench AND asking to play during the DEC winning streak, because we had home games and a softer schedule. When opponents got tough again, Klutch sports piped down, because they didn't want to associate Wall with losing.

3) Belief system. Last year, Wall saying playing his game is akin to KPJ playing 'Scoot ball'. This means, I'm slashing either scoring, or kicking out because of my gravity. Not passing because I'm running a play to feed Green. A poor man heliocentric system.

4) Pride. In Wall's mind he's the best player on this squad. Now fans can disagree with him, but that's what he thinks. Call it confidence or call it arrogance; he doesn't think he's a bench player. He wants to be 'featured' instead of playing support. Can he put out Gordon's efficient scoring (I doubt it). Offensively is he better than Wood? I'd say no. Is he better than KPJ at PG duty yes, but if KPJ is not the answer, just move on to your next prospects (Josh / Nix). There are only so many games until 2023 season.

Last thing I'll say is Silas is too much of a nice guy coach. Stone did him a favor by sitting Wall out, so Silas don't have to be the bad cop. If you give PG duty to Wall, and things don't work out, I don't think Silas can reign Wall in. We see this already with KPJ using soft tactics. Instead of hey "pass Jalen the ball", like a normal coach, he beats around the bush and maybe consider things like staggering minutes. Last year when Wall played bad, well at least you can do it in the name of 'load management' and play him every other game. I don't think the coaching and the org can handle putting Wall back out there.

I hope people realize, with Stone convincing Wall to sit and national media news cycle on Wall has passed, we've a good thing going on here. The pandora box closed and locked. No need to rock the boat.

#31 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Easy and kjayp like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Adequate starter for a playoff team as he can still get past
    almost all defenders while supplying good defense (in terms
    of today's NBA).

Number 1 option to initiate the set but 3rd option when relying
    on his scoring. Good fit would be Clippers or Lakers.
    John Wall initiates and draws the defense which sets up
    Kawhi, LeBron, AD.

Since the Clippers are currently 8th seed and Kawhi is coming back but
    Paul George is probably shut down for the season.....Clips may be
    in dire straights to get a deal done. Kawhi will need help.

Ibaka/Bledsoe/Kennard x Wasl. Of course they need to make
    additional deal(s) to help out the front court.

Slight to slim outside çhance Wall gets moved. Houston may be
    the Lakers only hope to move Westbrook. Rockets would need to be
    heavily compensated to take back that Westbrook contract though.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wall was never exceptionally impressive even before his injuries. He put up fairly good numbers but never an efficient shooter. WAS went nowhere even after they added Beal. 3rd option at best for a championship team. It also depends on whether he has lost some speed at this point.

14. kjayp

you make many good points...

Personally, I would say at this point we're gonna be shuffling some cards at deadline regardless... I think Wood is going to be moved and Ego could be shuffled for a frp, Theis might have some return... and if thats going to be the case... run the John Wall show up to deadline, try to stimulate some interest - we dont wanna win so Wall being selfish looking out for #1 can help us - lol! Wall wants to increase his worth and we want Walls worth to increase - surely we can afford to put a couple weeks into that to try to recoup some 'value' for our tank commander - lol! ...and then run the youngsters for the rest of the year along with any potential future pieces that come to us in the shuffling...

I agree Silas is too soft... i've been JVG + a top offensive minded assistant (reverse Bzdelik - lol) since before he got hired...

ive wondered about Ego as a leader... he'd be the perfect guy to command some repect and be able to get up in guys faces - but idk if thats him... he's great when he's 'happy' but mopey when facing adversity - at least based on my limited perception. i got no prob keeping him for the rest of his contract - if he's happy with the situation... if he's not happy - shuffle him on for a frp and spend the minutes elsewhere...

ApacheWarrior and DeBeards like this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He sits on the bench better than anyone ive seen lol Honestly im shocked he hasnt gone apshit and tried to beat up Silas or Stone.

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This whole John Wall saga says more about Tilman Fertitta's ability, than it ever did John Wall's.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now, no need to pile on him.

He was a lesser Allstar in the East, pre- injury he was a legit Allstar.

No superstar or Brad Beal.

18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

look johnny...
    [​IMG]
    as we all know,
    you still have something left in the tank,
    and...now you got the chance to play for a contender, maybe win a ring or two,

but,
    you got a ridiculous contract, and you know that...
    [​IMG]

hey, listen, listen, you can't eat your cake and have it too,
    so,
    now we are offering you the best deal you could see on the table,
    [​IMG]

how about sign the buyout contract,
    and leave,
    ARE WE CLEAR?
    [​IMG]

#38 DeBeards, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

John Wall is a smart reminder to never dump a point god for a triple double chucker.

20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

who careS?