1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats wrong with Lue?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fatman510, Jul 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Everyone keeps talking about how we need to go and sign Fisher, Barry, DJ etc. To sign these people we would need to break the bank. Fisher and Barry command the full MLE, I'm not sure about DJ, but he certainly wont come cheap.

Lue started last year for the Magic, hes not a great shooter, but hes not poor either. He plays good defense and is quick. Seems like the kind of guy everyone wants.

Whats wrong with Lue as our starting PG?

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

He played poor defense last year.

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Im pretty sure Lue will play better defense under JVG. He has the ability to play great defense, but probably didnt in orlando because nobody else did.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I could live with Lue, but everyone seems like they want all these other guys. I think cd will wait and see. Him and Jones splitting time would be ok with me. neither to's the ball and shoots decent from 3pt range.

5. waran007

waran007 Member

I think what people often miss is that Derek Fisher is a slower, older version of Lue with more playoff experience. I would be extremely disappointed if we sign Fisher to a 5-6 year deal for the MLE as has been the trend.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'd rather start Lue over Fisher

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

Actually Lue shoots better than Jones from the 3, infact a better overall shooter than D. Jones. From an offensive standpoint and effeciency, Lue's already a pretty damn good improvement over Steve at the point. So, if we were to get Jones, I'd definitely start Lue and have Jones be the backup.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

1) Lue has lost a step or so since he guarded Iverson in the Finals a few years back.

2) Lue is a best 6' tall and offers little resistance to low post entry passes. And a stop and pop PG has little trouble rising up over him.

3) Lue is slight of build and stronger WC PG's like Cassell, Nash, Payton and Fisher will take him into the low blocks and abuse him.

4) On a mediocre ORL team, the Magic were -8.7 with Lue on the court and -4.7 with him off the court (adjusted to 48 mpg).

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

plain and simple Lue is and always will be back-up material. He's a solid guard of the bench a step up from moochie and ounger than m. Jackson

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

I agree with both Gater and sydmill, but considering that D. Jones could very well be the one and only PG we aquire this offseason, what else can be done? Neither is a good defender, but one is a better shooter, so how do you start Jones over Lue if those two are our only options next season?

11. DJ

DJ Member

Fatman510, thanks for considering me. I am a quick/slashing point guard with the ability to dish the ball like crazy. I can work well with T-Mac and Yao because of my pass first mentality. Plus, I am good with the fundamentals.

12. AggieRocketFan96

Lue is a horrible defender. He is easily posted, seems befuddled by crossovers, and very streaky on the offensive end. He would make a decent backup but I don't think he's the answer as the starting PG. Houston needs to go all out this year, they have a potentially great core of players to win immediately but they must get a true starting PG now.

13. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

How much do u want buddy?:D

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Quick/slashing? No you're not. You're kinda sluggish for my taste actually, though I like your size. You like to sit outside and shoot threes and make safe passes around the perimeter so you don't turn the ball over. If you actually had a post threat to pass to you would have had many more turnovers last season. Plus you're a very average defender. There are worse guys to be had than you, true, but there also are (or at least were) better ones.

15. silent j

silent j Member

As you sayat best 6-feet , Lou was listed 5-9 when he was a rookie. I highly doubt he grew 3 inches since his rookie season. I only grew 1 inch after I turned 16.
    j

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

jvg hasn't mentioned lue at all since the trade he's only ever talked about gaines and a to be signed veteran point guard.

17. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest problem with Lue is that he is a very undersized point guard. It's hard to win big in this league when one of your starters stands below 6 feet or whatever the hell they list Lue as. It just leads to a perpetual match up problem.

That's why guys like Earl Boykins, Dana Barros, Mugsy Bogues, and Spud Webb don't win Big. It's all about winning Big. God I really am sounding like JVG.

18. DJ

DJ Member

I can play for the minimum.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with her!!!!

20. g1184

g1184 Member

he'll have reece gaines behind him, size shouldn't matter, if they take lue in the post, then put in reece.