1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's worked to make your marriage/relationship successful?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gatsby, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Reminds me: don't tell your significant other if she/he is out of your league. Let her think yall are in the same league.

A college gf of mine kept telling me I was better looking than she was. Eventually, I came to agree and dumped her for someone prettier.

2. Nook

Nook Member

You have to be one interesting dude.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

around people, always have each others back even if you/they are wrong. then later in private you guys can sort out if it was wrong or right.

4. Nook

Nook Member

There are some "feeder" groups out there that share your hobby.

These groups can help you fatten your pet up far faster and more effectively and act like a support group for men with the same interest.

It is a hobby several posters on here have. I believe Basketballholic said that quarts of Hershey's chocolate syrup can yield a 40-50 pound increase a month. I am not sure how heavy you want to get her to, but Basketballholic said his pet can no longer get out of bed and uses diapers.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

not sure why so antagonizing tone in the beginning. OP asked what makes YOUR marriage work. the guy simply answered what makes HIS marriage work, same as you are doing in the last two paragraphs. no?

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

sounds like John Cena

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nothing ****s up your sex life more than the product of having so much sex. ;)

We used to go at it like rabbits 4-5 times a week before the kid. I felt like I had no fluids left in me for a while.

Then it becomes all about timing.

There is a window when the kid goes to bed, if anything interferes with that 30 minute window, then there is no chance. Once it gets to be about 9:30 PM the fatigue sets in and you're SOL.

Weekends offer more time for afternoon delight, but when the kid stops taking naps you have to get creative again to find the time.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Finding someone that can deal with my sorry ass and regularly doing in enough so she keeps on dealing with my sorry ass. It's for 20 years so far.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Learn how to listen! Audible and non-audible communication!!!

Every marriage is different, and what works for one couple may not work for another. Of course trust, respect and leaving your ego at the door are essential to any healthy relationship, but truly listening to what she's saying (not what YOU want to hear) will keep her satisfied and happy! If your spouse is satisfied/happy, she'll more often than naught (unless she's a gold-digger) want to make you happy!

There is truth to:
    [​IMG]

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This man speaks the truth.

Don't worry, though. The older they get, the easier it becomes to get creative. "Go play in the backyard, Mommy and Daddy have to go make the bed" has worked pretty well for us lately...

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Oh I can't let her know. We don't need any of that confidence stuff around this house.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It gets better when they're a bit older. They sleep through damn near anything while you do your gymnastics with the kid's room monitor on. I spent a lot of time at home doing the parenting thing while my significant other was busy being a state executive. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Now one of our kids is 24 and a software developer that has people working for him, and the other is out of town halfway through getting a degree in what is essentially different forms of animation, mainly CGI. We've had the place to ourselves for a while now and do whatever we feel like doing, with only the dog as company. It's wonderful. The teenage years are a challenge. Fortunately, they weren't as crazy as we were at the same age. We were lucky. May the Force be with you!

13. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

What an open ended question; care to elaborate your current situation?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Money (#1 cause of divorce):

I always thought the separate checking accounts but mutual savings was the way to go. You have your personal financial freedom after bills are paid but if your an idiot with your money, it's a mutual decision to bail each other out at the end of the month to get money out of savings. Major purchase and vacations etc are mutual decisions.

Sex:

Don't be selfish. Take care of yourself enough to show that you care for them not for yourself or anyone else. You have to mix it up and don't just touch/kiss/etc when you want some. PDA. Show that you are proud of her but don't be one of those couples that is showing off... Those couples are getting divorced cause it's fake.

Enjoy a sense of humor and you have to understand each other's sarcasm. A relationship without a sense of humor and lack of self deprecation on the others behalf can't work.

Don't hold Sh$& over each other's head. Stop it... You are just trying to instill power in the relationship... Stop. Everyone f's up and says stupid stuff.

My wife says that when she sees me doing dad stuff it's kinda hot. I don't know what that means but being a good dad and making your kids laugh and playing with them can't hurt.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You must maintain hand at all times.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Have any woman responded in this thread?

Pressure mostly seems to be put on guys in a relationship.

How about some advise for women in pleasing their man.

I've heard women say things like..

- stroke his ego (you're so strong!!)
    - give him some and he'll shut up

Guys are more simple, so women don't have to do as much.

#56 Houstunna, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  17. body slam

body slam Member

Most of my married friends believe in having a girls or guys night night out. Sometimes you need a few hour break from one another (and the kids).

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Don't ever think it is a success. That leads to complacency and complacency will slap you upside the head harder than anything else out there. Keep working, keep paying attention.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sometimes abstinence from teh secks does wonders.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

two separate bedrooms with 2 bathrooms are the minimum

have kids so it keep her busy , scream at your kid so she does't feel comfortable letting you babysitting

stay mysterious, dont be dump and reveal all you secrets

if you are not a good looking person, try to be nice ,but if you are then skip this step

if she asked you to use you devices , break it first

don't try to convince her that you are the smartest guy strongest etc ; never worked , if she feel you are dump, she going to forgive you a lot'

make friendship with the most dysfunctional couple you can meet,search online if needed

don't watch Rockets games together