1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's with Rafer these days?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketFan96, Mar 18, 2008.

1. AggieRocketFan96

Hey I'll be the first to admit that Rafer's been playing way out of his mind during the streak but the past few games I've also noticed he's streetball arrogance taking over, i.e. his fracas with Chandler and Paul against New Orleans, his Skip to My Lou dribbling and jacking with Sasha in the Lakers game, and his smack talk with Rondo and stare down with Cassell tonight. Seems to me that Rafer is providing the opposition with locker room material that inpires the other teams. I know CP3 and Tyson Chandler will be looking forward to seeing him in New Orleans again. These kind of childish antics really takes away from an otherwise stellar performance over the streak while the rest of the Rockets have seemed so humble about their success. He needs to grow up and understand that he hasn't proven nothing yet and even if he had, he needs to know the fine line between confidence and cockiness.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree, he needs to walk the walk to back up the talk.....

DD

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Screw that horse ****. I love his attitude now, so long as he doesnt get ejected. Hes our newfound bulldog now. Like Sura and Maxwell.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

naah, he's bringing some intensity to the game. I think he's getting comfortable in his element. the thing is, like Shane said, stay humble stay hungry. We haven't done that as of late and look at us. We went from sleepers to top rated and now every rocket and their mother is doing interviews, that doesn't work.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

His confidence comes from his cockiness.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Very true.

7. Landlord Landry

I doubt you were worried about that when he was draining 3's........the critics really come out when the ROX lose. I'll take Rafers antics as long as he is producing, which he has been. I think his reactions were justified.

when the tough get going.......the fakers bail. It's one loss people........get over it.

8. Landlord Landry

agreed.

9. bucket

bucket Member

To me, he's earned a little bit of attitude with the way he's played lately. That said, I don't think there's really been all that much of the playground Skip lately. He's always been a fiery player, and the incidents with Chandler and Rondo are the kind of things he always does (incidentally, those are the kinds of things we loved about Bobby Sura). The stare-down on Cassell and pointing in Vujacic's face were a little much, but I didn't see anything wrong with the And1 moves. In that situation, it was Rafer's job to keep the clock ticking while keeping the ball from Vujacic. It's not like he did a ball-fake behind Vujacic's head, though I almost wish he would have..

10. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

He plays better with that attitude, he wants that challenge. He just didn't play as well as the other games. Come on, can't he have a bad game. How come you didnt bother to post this after the Hornets game and you just happen to post this after a loss. Im guessing you dont watch all the games , cus Rafer almost got into it with Chandler the 1st game, Rox blew them out. Grow some nutts

11. AggieRocketFan96

Well if his confidence truly only comes from his cockiness vice his ability than he will get slaughtered by guys Deron Williams, Tony Parker, CP3, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, etc that have all of the confidence, ability, proven track records in the playoffs and none of his arrogance. I see Deke, Shane, Chuck Hayes, Luther, TMAC, and the rest of the team as confident minus cockiness, performance without showboating, and humble during successful runs. I just wish Rafer had a bit more professionalism as his team-mates.

12. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

So you want the Rox to be soft and timid, and play without fire. Rox would be a P u s s y team

13. Landlord Landry

just like how CP3 showed class after rafer matched him shot for shot until he was pulled? whatev.....I can't believe I'm sticking up for Rafer, but this kind of argument seems petty to me.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Do you know what a trend is?

15. liangqj

liangqj Member

It is hard to judge these attitudes are right or not. On the active side, it can encourage the teammates to play tough.

16. AggieRocketFan96

If Rafer's attitude embodies the phrase "grow some nutts" than you can have it. I'd rather have a player that lets his ability talk, not his mouth to me that is "growing some nutts".

As for not posting this after the Hornets game, well I was actually hoping that incident was isolated. Then I saw it again at the Lakers game. Tonight I saw it twice--so that's 3 straight games and to me that indicates a trend prompting to post about it. I'm sure others have been thinking about it too. I also recall a report a couple of weeks back that Rafer's teammates had talked to him about toning his attitude down (may have seen that posted here somewhere) but don't have the link to that. Regardless, its something I've noticed just the past few games and all I'm saying is I wish he would let his performance do the talking.

17. AggieRocketFan96

Right on, i was just posting about a trend (pattern over 3 incidents)!

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

As Rafer goes, so do the Rockets.

19. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

It seemed I am in the minority with you. With the games going on, a little trash talk and altitude may enhance performance, but engage early in the game with an inferior player is simply stupid. Celtics would love to have both ejected.
    The results, Rondo played a better game and Rafer turned the ball multiple times.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with you 100%. When such a flawed mediocre player showboats when he has the best stretch of his career over a few games, it makes him seem like an immature jerk who's just waiting to get knocked on his behind by an opposing player. If he doesn't shut it up quickly, Rafer will have a bullseye painted on his behind asking other teams to kick him. Reminds me of my miniature poodle who barks up a storm at other people only when I'm around.

I despise showboating in the NBA and find Rafer's recent trash disgraceful. When I was younger and guys did that to me on the basketball court, I knocked 'em down.

Act like you've been there before. Just my 2 cents.