1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's/who's the next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Puppet Master, Jun 25, 2022.

1. a time to chill

I'd like to see Gordon and Wall gone this offseason. Hopefully, we can get some draft capital for Gordon, but I feel like the window of getting a first-round pick for Gordon closed last season. Gordon will just clog up the roster and deprive us of getting a better look at the younger wings on the team (Martin, Garuba, Eason). If Gordon and Wall are still Rockets when the season starts it will be a failure from Stone.

luckyman76 and pippendagimp like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Man, I missed the OP's assertion that Smith will be a "very good role player at best." What a laughable notion. He'll be a very good role player at worst.

3. Houston77

Supporting Member

Everyone is so quick to call everything a "failure." Gordon may be traded and he may not be. What baffles me is this idea that young guys only develop through playing time. Listen to any young guy on the team and they'll tell you just how much they've learned from having Gordon on this roster.

4. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, that's going to be your line? Someone shows you evidence, and you just say, "That's not the whole story?" You made the assertion that KPJ can't be a reliable second scorer. You're the one who made the asinine assertion that Smith will be a "very good role player at best." You say silly things, you have to back them up with more than just, "Meh, that's not the whole story."

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

Depends. I thought I saw someone mention he started having locker room issues. Schoder, Kemba, or any other guys like that but they’d have to know what they are getting paid for and that’s showing the young guys how to run the point and play make.

I would overpay for a quality vet who could show KPJ/Green/Christopher/Tyty how to fully maximize Jabari. We don’t have any leadership besides Gordon. All I want is one year of real mentorship/development. Handing Kevin the ball and expecting Chris Paul within one season is just dumb

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

you’re ready for a max contract?

7. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

KPJ isn't reliable, his decision making is horrid at times. Either too much dribbling or turning it over. Has a very bad habit of jumping to pass.

NBA defenses tend to relax when they are up comfortably. Too many times, I've seen the Rockets down big, then Rockets start scoring when the defense let's up a bit. A lot of those final scores don't tell the entire picture.

Oh look, another truth. You ever heard "the score will end alot closer than it was"? Same **** with stats, they don't always tell you the same story.

Smiths potential isn't a generational talent if that's what you're thinking.

Also very good role players do make the all star teams at times.

Nothing asinine about what I said. You sound upset, calm down

ashleyem, csc177 and pippendagimp like this.
  8. Houston77

Supporting Member

Word salad, no stats. Just as I thought.

9. a time to chill

I don't see why not if the Rockets can dump Wall's and Gordon's salaries.

10. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Answer this question. Do you believe stats tell the entire story of a player? Yes or no. I'm not asking for an explanation, just a simple yes or no.

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

No, of course not. But you said something very specific, namely, that KPJ can't be a secondary scorer. When it comes to an assertion that narrow, the stats absolutely can tell a lot, and if you are arguing against the stats, you better have a very compelling argument. And you don't.

Sonicbun8, King1 and cbass like this.
  12. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Do you think KPJ can be the second scorer on a championship team?

13. a time to chill

Gordon doesn't impact winning on this roster, simple as that. His performance also fell off a cliff during the second part of this past season which is why I think a team wouldn't want to give up a first-round pick for him. Let Gordon go somewhere else and be more competitive. Meanwhile, the younger guys can develop with more playing time.

14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This is such a dumb response. KPJ literally led the league in catch and shoot 3s, his assist:TO ratio is very good (so he isn’t turning it over all the time as you assert), he played with All-Star level productivity every time Wood didn’t play, and he peaked at the same time as Green.

Do you have something besides “I saw him jump to pass sometimes” or “I see defenses go easy sometimes”? I’ll save you the time - “he left at halftime once”.

Of course you are the same guy starting a thread saying Jabari’s upside is a role player, so why am I wasting my time?

Sonicbun8, cbass and ico4498 like this.
  15. Houston77

Supporting Member

I can he can develop to that point, sure. One of his best comps IMO is Jrue Holiday.

16. conquistador#11

When is free agency this year?

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Jabari will be just a role player? Lol cmon man

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Thursday

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think we need to keep building a healthier culture in our post-Harden era. Don't get to training camp and have Wall on the roster. Move on, please so our new core can focus on basketball without distractions. I don't think Jabari Smith needs one day in the gym with John Wall.

Eric Gordon is a professional who shows up every day and puts in his work. While he is keeping some guys from getting minutes, until someone plays better than him and earns those minutes, I'm ok keeping him in the rotation.

Before the season, I would add a big if you could because a true seven-footer would help Sengun. More rim protection would be a plus against bigger teams.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This technique is call moving the goal post.

Kpj is fine as a secondary scorer.

He's reliable scorer but his play making needs work, these things r two separate things.

Sonicbun8, Corrosion, csc177 and 2 others like this.