1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats up with Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acruz2, Nov 21, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

This is ridiculous. I guess when he drives or makes passes he doesn't care either. Cmon now, he's always been like this, he will pick it up.

cbass, hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I feel like a lot of it is mental, he was involved in trade talks for Jimmy B, Otto Porter etc thats why his performance is affected.

But at the end of the day Gordon is a professional and willing to sacrifice, no drama coming off the bench when a no name like Ennis is starting. He will be alright and should be untouchable unless we get a superstar in return.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol can't tell if serious.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah he is streaky, he was always like this in houston...always...but he is usually solid on d so that helps

HP3 likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Serious. Gordon has slumps, but not 13 games at 32/25% shooting + career low in assists + 3rd worst FTA average in his career. Dude is averaging more shots than points. In 13 games, he's had one good one and 2 mediocre ones. The other 10 games he's been shockingly bad. It's beyond a slump now.

It's just not acceptable even if you factor in a dip for being involved in trade rumors. An acceptable dip for that kind of thing would be he's shooting 40/30% for example.

To put this in perspective, he'd have to shoot 50% for the remaining 69 games (including his customary post All Star game slump) to hit an average season.

IMO he just does not care if his shots go in. Just heaving them. 10 year vets are not that mentally fragile. He's very talented. I'm done feeling sorry for him, and he better not be feeling sorry for himself. Team needs him more than ever.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is probably last year he was too good and hit at a near Alltime high for his standards.

This year feels like a low.

People feeling like CP3 can decline but Gordon can't?

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Let's say i don't expect Eric to be year in 18 months anyway...

justtxyank likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We might not get a superstar in return, but I think you're right, a lot of it is mental. Eric's passing was poor, leading to turnovers. He looks good when he drives to the basket. He should continue with that, and make a few mid range shots. He is working hard on defense. His 3 point shooting will come around. Go EG! We believe in you!

hakeem94 and baller4life315 like this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

People are ignoring shot selection. This fool be jacking it up “from Pasadena.” Like don’t. You suck

JVL713, hakeem94 and Reeko like this.
  10. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

This is definitely a very long cold streak. 4-5 games, that happens, but 13 games is quite a cold streak.

If Gordon shot the same percentages as last season from the field, he would be averaging 17.9 ppg. The Rockets would just add 3.9 ppg to the teams averages which would take the team to 110.5 ppg and like 2nd in Ortg in the league.

So yea, the cold streak is quite the disaster so far, it's rough. He is a hot/cold player, but he will need to be fairly hot for like the next 10-15 games

HP3 and napalm06 like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

There is no "acceptable" performance when you are mentally affected. Fultz for example went from no 1 prospect to can't shoot straight and Anderson went from Home scrub/Away god to Mr. 22% from 3.

The shots may not be falling for Gordon but you act like he doesn't care, dude hustles on plays and plays solid defense thats why he has positive +/- numbers. He has had a couple of +23 games and even in this game with him shooting like ass he was still +0 meaning at least he didnt hurt the team. Cut the some dude some slack he has played extremely well the past 3 years I think everyone can be more lenient on him considering only his shooting is gone and not other aspects of his game.

I mean we are even on a 5 game win streak with Gordon playing significant mins but people are still trying to make him the scapegoat. LoL only on CF

Rocket River, cbass, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  12. basketballholic

Gordon's mindset isn't right. He knows he's probably gone.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is an all time low, not just for his career, but even for his acceptable slumps imo.

14. MD_in_Training

If Ego is checked out mentally, then I would expect his defensive play to drop off severely. If anything, players would usually do the opposite. They would continue to try hard on offense in order to entice other suitors, while saving energy on the defensive end. The fact that he still tries on defense makes me think that he isn't done with the Rockets.

roslolian, justtxyank, jcf and 4 others like this.
  15. blackistan

blackistan Member

Trade him for Beal

justtxyank likes this.
  16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Gordon has always been streaky. Last season he had a streak from 11/12/17 to 12/09/18 where he shot 30% or less from behind the arc in 10 consecutive games. That's a longer streak than he's had this year.

The thing about Gordon is that when the he heats up, it likely won't be a gradual thing. He'll be nuclear hot for a while. It's what he does.

justtxyank, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A good observation. I think that he is feeling pressure from being on the trading block despite his good effort on defense.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While Gordon's struggles have been annoying, the reason I give him a pass is that no matter how much he struggles, I feel like he can turn things around and I'm not sure we could pick someone up who could be as good as he can when he's on, who would freely accept a 6th man role. For sure the team will be a lot better when Gordon fully gets out of whatever slump he's been in seemingly all season long.

#38 Bobbythegreat, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Welcome back, FWIW.

jcf, hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Than why is he still a positive on the floor and on defense, two points you ignore while pretending to know a player's mentality.