1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with Appel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Jun 1, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Uncoincidentally, this great start came away from the Hangar. His next start should be a road game too, if he pitches well I expect to see him in CC.

Only threw 74 pitches. He retired 8 of the last 9 guys he faced, 4 via strikeout. His last fastball came in at 96.

It's certainly a positive step.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He also was sporting a mustache. I attribute about 85% of his success to this.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Missed that tidbit, so yeah 85% mustache, 15% not being at Lancaster.

I think we've cracked the code boys.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Great to read.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Good to see a good line from him. If he can string a few of these starts in a row, it would make me feel a lot better.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Stockton, the team Lancaster played last night, is second in the Cali league for homers. Being away from the Hangar may have helped, but he was far from pitching in Petco. So refreshing to see a start like this with the velocities he posted:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Strong outings by White and Wojo last night..combined for 9 IP, 4 H, 1 BB and 7K. White up to 92 and Wojo up to 93.</p>&mdash; Jeff Luhnow (@jluhnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/jluhnow/statuses/492680059296432128">July 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. boozle222

((Wrong tweet))
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Appel's 74th pitch last night was 96 mph FB for a swinging strike.</p>&mdash; Jeff Luhnow (@jluhnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/jluhnow/statuses/492679079582519298">July 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Was this a charity game against the local little league? :cool:

glad to see he's taking positive steps

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

May have been the wrong tweet, but that was some good news, too.

10. boozle222

Ha yeah. Check the post below.

Sidenote: I have given to the tipjar before. Does that mean I should be able to edit posts?

1 person likes this.
  11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Good to see Appel have a good outing, props to the good vibes that one dude sent for trying to stream the Lancaster game.

You can email Clutch about it and let him know that you donated.

12. Buck Turgidson

"Some of the pitching coaches and I, we made a minor adjustment in the bullpen that I was able to carry over," Appel said. "It wasn't anything serious. I'm not saying that's the cure for this season, but it's something that I feel comfortable with. It's something that I can continue to work on. I was able to get a little feedback tonight just from the way that some of the guys from Stockton were taking swings at fastballs that, in the past, were getting hit. The way they would react to some of my offspeed stuff where, I think in the past, they were able to see it a little bit better. The feedback was pretty good."
    The adjustment ahead of his second victory would appear indiscernible to the average observer, Appel said, but it allows the 6-foot-5 righty an extra "6 to 8 inches in stride length" and a straighter path to the plate. Appel thinks that will help create deception and benefit his offspeed pitches as well.

"When you're feeling comfortable with your mechanics and you're able to locate the pitches that you want better as the game goes on, obviously it does play a factor," he said. "I think it's just a combination of all the work that I've been putting in this season amidst the terrible games, amidst all the struggles and frustration. Finally -- finally -- it's bearing a little bit of fruit."

13. Buck Turgidson

14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the link! Interesting quote from the same article from Appel:

Hope it was an attitude adjustment (along with a mechanical adjustment) and he's righted the ship.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Interesting quote. Surprised he is so candid about it but it does make some sense. hopefully he realizes he needs to produce and earn promotions just like everyone else. He has probably been able to skate by on talent alone most of his life so he needs to get back to earning his place in this organization, 1st pick or not.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Going up. Get him out of there finally

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Mark Appel set for promotion to Class AA Corpus Christi <a href="http://t.co/xp8yKDn10C">http://t.co/xp8yKDn10C</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/statuses/493050524296421377">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

This promotion is certainly NOT based on merit. Wonder how the other guys in "A" ball feel about this?

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pity promotion.

19. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

They will be fine with it. Still was a #1 pick and is probably older then most on the team. Younger guys know their time will come.

1 person likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow is a fool to send prospect pitchers to Lancaster.

or

Appel should earn his promotion out of Lancaster.

Luhnow Critics, Make up your mind.

#100 No Worries, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014