1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up unsorted

Discussion in 'Unsorted Threads' started by KingCheetah, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's a sign. Either stonks dropping to $0 or Baylor Men & Baylor Women both win NCAA titles.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. KingCheetah

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

5. Buck Turgidson

Huh...

So, kickass terrestrial mammals that like to swim:

Elephant
    Hippo
    [​IMG]
    Rhino
    Tiger
    Bear(s)
    Jaguar
    Leopard
    Chimp

Mammals who do not:

Lion
    Gorilla
    Cheetah

K mf G likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

K mf G, Blatz, heypartner and 3 others like this.
  7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Two thoughts go through my mind on this...

1. "Like a boss"

and

2. Where is Jim Carrey?

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"If everyone on Earth sat in the ocean at once, how much would sea level rise?"

https://theconversation.com/if-ever...-at-once-how-much-would-sea-level-rise-156626

You can think about the oceans as a gigantic bathtub. More than 70% of the Earth’s surface is ocean, giving this bathtub an area of about 140 million square miles. To figure out how much the water will rise, we need to know the volume of people sitting in it and divide it by this ocean area.

Currently, there are almost 8 billion people on Earth. Human beings come in all sizes, from tiny babies to large adults. Let’s assume the average size is 5 feet tall – a bit bigger than a child – with an average volume of 10 cubic feet. Only half of each person’s body would be submerged when they sit down, so only 5 cubic feet adds to the water level. With 8 billion people total, you can calculate 5 x 8 billion which gives a whopping 40 billion cubic feet that would be added to the oceans.

But remember, this volume would be spread over the vast area of the oceans. Using the same bathtub math as before, we divide the 40 billion cubic feet of volume over the 140 million square miles of ocean.

The answer? The total rise in sea level would be about 0.00012 of an inch, or less than 1/1000th of an inch. If everyone completely submerged themselves, this would double the answer to 0.00024 inches, which is still only about the width of a human hair.

It turns out the oceans are enormous – and humans are just a drop in the bucket.

more at the link

B-Bob and heypartner like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What would be the displacement if we all fully submerged ourselves, but then everyone farted at the same time?

Math should always consider the worse-case scenario.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. GIGO

GIGO Member

[​IMG]
    Princeton had its first snowfall of the season this week bringing winter fun and games to campus. But some traditions die hard: The freshman-sophomore snowball fight of 1892-93 left Darwin R. James, John P. Poe, and Arthur L. Wheeler of the Class of 1895 looking like disconsolate pugilists.

All three men pictured were sports stars at Princeton; one of them, John P. “Johnny” Poe (center, I think), never graduated, but continued looking for fights–he enlisted in the U.S. Army twice, the National Guard, the Marine Corps, the Nicaraguan army (with whom he first saw action), and then the British army at the outset of World War I, eventually fighting (and dying) in France as a member of the famous Black Watch.

K mf G and boomboom like this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The guy in the back...

"Expelliarmus!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#9453 boomboom, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  14. KingCheetah

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wow, get that dog some honey buns!

Pup alerts James Hardan after intruder breaks into home

Three-year-old Angel became part of a Temple City family a couple of years ago when she was adopted by James Hardan and his wife.

“I protect her, and she protects me,” Hardan said.

But this week, the rescued pup became the rescuer when the normally sweet and calm Maltese spotted an intruder in their home.

According to the 69-year-old, Angel woke up him early Monday morning by jumping on his chest before running back into the kitchen of the home.

“Within about 30 seconds, she came back, jumped up on the bed, put her paws on my chest, and started tapping and growling,” Hardan said.

The Vietnam veteran, whose wife was still asleep in bed, went into self-defense mode after getting up and seeing a person standing in the doorway of their bedroom.

The person then walked toward the bathroom, giving Hardan time to go to another room to grab his gun before returning to the bathroom.

“I pushed it open, pointed the weapon at his head and told him, ‘Do not move. I will blow you away,'” Hardan said. “He said, ‘I’m your son’s friend.'”

Hardan said he held the man at gunpoint until deputies arrived and took him into custody.

According to Hardan, the man would have had to scale three locked gates and get through a locked side door before being able to get into the home.

“I knew he was definitely not in his right mind,” he said.

Hardan, who served in the U.S. Army Special Forces during the Vietnam War, became emotional talking about how he could have taken the man’s life because of his wartime experience.

“The only thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger was the fact that I said that could be somebody’s daddy,” he said. “And I didn’t want to leave a child homeless.”

The proud veteran said it was his duty to serve and protect his country, something he believes Angel has now done for him and his wife.

“She took care of the ones who loved her,” Hardan said. “She’s got a special place in my heart, and she’s done a great job. She’s done a great job, I was very proud of her.”

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

17. Buck Turgidson

I don't think you understand the ****ing concept of the Unsorted.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oh no, I don’t got forum police Buck’s approval! Oh no! I don’t give a **** dumbass.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member