1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story behind the Brooks / Ariza fallout?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RAID, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He certainly put up Kobe-esque shot attempts during the first part of the season...

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Agreed. Unlike Lowry and Lee, Ariza wasn't one of those guys DM had a boner for and tried to acquire -- he was merely the right FA at the right time. We'd just lost Ron-Ron and Ariza was a guy with a low risk and a high potential reward. Nobody had ever made him a starter before and really taken a look at what he could do. With Yao being out for the year, it made sense for the Rox to do that and hope that Ariza could take advantage of it.

Ariza proved himself to be a borderline starter or top bench guy, nothing more. So the factors for the trade were pretty clear:

1) Ariza isn't a difference-maker. He's not irreplaceable.

2) Ariza has a questionable attitude (not terrible, though, as some here have said).

3) Lee was available and IS a member of the DM boner list.

4) Rox save a sh!tload of money and gain cap flexibility.

5) Rox get a sizable trade exception.

The only real argument AGAINST the trade are that nobody really knows what Lee is capable of at this point. But at this point, DM's boner list has proven right (Brooks, Landry, Lowry, Budinger) much more than it has wrong (Dorsey, Leunen).

3. tomato

tomato Member

What criteria are involved to get placed on the DM boner list?

4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Oh really? And replace this "loose cannon" with Ron Artest?

Makes sense? lol wat.

5. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

Only DM can tell us

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

You are absolutely and undeniably spewing nonsense, just quit.

There's no indication the team didn't like Ariza, if anything, they showed they have faith in him. He in no fashion put his "ego" ahead of the team. He was just given a role he cannot be competent early on and gradually found his groove on the team.

We did the trade because we got a trade exception, tapped out of the luxury tax area, and got a prospect that we were higher on than Trevor. Simple and that's it. Don't overanalyze, complicate, and fabricate **** to your liking

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Proof of clips?

Again, you're more than likely spewing nosense and/or exaggerating said clip.

True--for once.

Are you blind? He fit much better; close to 14ppg, 7rpg, 38% from deep. If anything the BETTER help you get around Ariza, and the LESS of a focus you make him, the more productive and efficient he is. He would've been a healthy 12ppg off of 40% 3pt shooting and about 6-7rpg had he stayed here.

But again it's him or it's a guy that gets you a 6.3mil TE, younger, and saves you luxury tax dollars? Obviously it's the latter.

Artest and Ariza...one year....then......BOOM out you go !

DD[/QUOTE]

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I'm just going through this thread, and it just happens to be that EVERY one of your posts are just garbage.

No, there was no fight of the alpha-dog in Houston. Ariza never was properly set to be assertive, and Brooks lacks the playmaking ability to find players. If anything, Ariza resorted and conceded to Kevin once he came here, and even when Carl was here he allowed him to be much more the focal point particularly in the end of games.

These guys can argue all they want about being the alpha dog, and you can foolishly use that as an excuse, or hell, believe. But we all know Rick and Yao are the alpha dogs on this team. Just another pathetic post from you.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

You obviously have very little sense of the NBA and the finances regarding it. How much do you figure you pay a 23 year old, athletic, defense stalwart that was instrumental in a championship run?

Sure, it's a little hyped up as a description, but that's how everyone is "sold"-- trade market or free agency. MLE was a good buy. It's on the lower end of how much "glue guys" cost and Ariza is just that--"a glue guy". A 5th starter with the intangibles that make up for the lack of them from their other starters.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ariza is kind of a hot head. Pretty much anyone paying attention knew that. Doesn't mean he's some sort of team cancer, though, since he's played useful roles on good team. I doubt the Rockets were somehow "hoodwinked" into signing Ariza. Any kind theory that he showed his true nature after the contract is pure BS.

He got into it with Larry Brown in NY and then got traded. He had a hard/dirty foul against Rudy Gay while in LA. He became a Rocket after getting angry at the Lakers not offering him more money. It was pretty easy to know how Ariza was/is, the team simply decided the MLE is worth it. And it seems New Orleans also decided he's worth paying that contract to (and giving up Collison for).

11. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Just wanted to split up some of this guy's posts before someone got upset...

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It's not "small forwards", it's just swingmen. Don't be naive for godsake. If you can play the 2, you can play the 3. If you can play the 3, you can play the 2. Don't get me started on these naive fans and foolish structures that you guys assemble with people. Positions are based off of matchups THAT'S IT.

No, they believed in Lee more, and much more in the sense that it saved us from the luxury tax and gave us a 6.3mil Trade Exception which is freakishly valuable. They didn't WANT Ariza gone, but when a better offer comes...you take it. With your logic, we WANTED Carl Landry gone. I bet you we didn't, but we had to cause a superior offer was on the table.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Tofu, you're right. Just think among these lines; Carl landry was traded, did we want to? No, but did we? Yes,and why? Because a superior offer is on the table. That's it. Done.

Don't believe DD's nonsense. From all of the posts, he showcases the quantity over quality ability.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

LOL. Did you watch your own video?

It shows Anderson, Aaron, etc. missing Ariza on plays that ended up as TURNOVERS. That's perfect bait for an Ariza supporter.

If the play was the right play, then so be it. First play, Aaron passed to Scola instead of Ariza which was better. Second play, Anderson decided to go 1 on 1 in the post instead of dumping it off to Ariza which was worse. Third, Brooks tried to feed the ball to a BETTER finisher than Ariza and passing window was shut, and who would argue with Landry flying down the lane like that?

Let's see the timeout after those plays, because I don't think Ariza said a single thing, showed bad body language(which he does generally), or yelled something at Aaron during any of those.

15. Wilford_Knows

Wilford_Knows Member

Not possible, this is Clutchfans!!!

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Hardly, at all. Really, Ariza's "ego" is being overblown here. First, all NBA players have some sort of ego. Even the "has-beens" like Francis, the "wannabe's" like JL3, etc. But if anything, confidence and assertiveness is what's Ariza's BIGGEST flaws. It's what made him struggle in New York, not work in Orlando, and finally come through in Los Angeles where Kobe, Derek, and Phil worked with him HARD.

I don't think his ego got in the way. I just think we got a good offer, one that completed too many things to pass up on; younger, cheaper, luxury tax, extra trade asset.

All of DD's bull**** on reasons can easily be rationalized like I have above.

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Fine, do it.

But then expect me to expose it.

Anyways, back on about the trade. Do I like it?

As a fan, a new face is always fun, but as a GM/Owner I'm thrilled. I don't think we got better or got worse from this move, but I do know now that we've set up ourselves for EVEN MORE. With that trade exception, some room to work under the luxury tax, it's good for the upper management. And if they got the tools to make more moves, it means as a fan, we've got to be excited because yet again, we're going to improve.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They didn't miss him at all, they ignored him, and yes, it did result in turnovers a couple of times, but not on the pass, on the result of the play after they ignored Trevor.

Not related to what I am talking about at all....

If you have played basketball at all, you would be able to recognize a team that has lost confidence in a player and has chosen to go a different direction rather than pass it to him, a team that is essentially freezing him out or making him the LAST option.

It is quite obvious in that video, now you could argue it is a small sample size and you would be correct, but if you watched the games at all you would have seen a lot of that from about January onward.

Maybe not, but he did in the videos and in plenty of games.

If you want to love the guy, or be a fan of his, I ain't stopping you.

It is just that our Rockets team made a decision he didn't fit, and moved him on.....whether people like it or not.

If they loved Trevor they would have moved Battier instead.....and they moved him to a division rival, they had seen enough to feel comfortable doing that....a big tell right there.

And I agree with you it was a lateral move that set us up better for another one later.

What some call BS, I call insight.

:grin:

DD

#118 DaDakota, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  19. Spooner

Spooner Member

Intangibles.

20. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Yao an alpha dog? I dont think u should call anybody's post garbage :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.