1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story behind the Brooks / Ariza fallout?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RAID, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I don't believe this assertion, only because Morey's interviews have highlighted just how high he is on Lee. Before the interviews I would have probably agreed with this, but Morey has essentially defined that they keep a sort of "wish-list" and would trade for these players no matter what the cost from the 610 interview. It's not a matter of not believing in Trevor, who would have had the ball in his hands way less anyway with Yao's return and Martin getting a full season with us, but rather he had an investment in a young player that he'd been targeting for years suddenly become available and jumped right in.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Morey is a spin doctor, he is always always working the press and the fans.

Take what he says with a grain of salt.

DD

3. Raven

Raven Member

That's an interesting point.

Rep

4. redao

redao Member

Rocket think Lee+saved money > Collison+crap. A sad day for Houston basketball.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If we had Collison and Posey, that would make Brooks a great trade asset. We could easily have included Brooks in a package that sends him to the Sixers and Iguodala to the Rockets (or another similar deal)

I doubt Morey would pass up such an opportunity, but of course I don't know what goes on in his head.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What makes you think that Collison for Ariza was even available or that Collison + crap is worth it? While it is true that NO ultimately got Ariza and gave away Collison, would you really want Posey's bad contract burdening us when we don't even know if Yao will be serviceable, much less good, this year? Also, it is not just Lee + saved money; it was for Lee + possible $10 million savings and $28 million over the next few years for a marginal starter + $6.3 million TE. If anything, that TE looks to become extremely valuable if Yao was to perform well and we are looking to pick up someone like Prince or Iggy. You are assuming that NO would have offered us Collison (which also would have created a logjam at PG and could affect team chemistry) and that the crap wouldn't hurt us in the both short and long run.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If we took Collison (another Brooks type of player) we would have needed to make another move of Lowry or Brooks to get better at the SG spot.

Even if you think Collison is better (which I do not) you would still not have enough minutes to go around for all 3.

And you are stuck with Posey, which again would add another SF into an already log jammed position.

Not to mention Les would be paying WAY into the Lux tax for a team that still had holes in it, and there are no guarantees in a follow up deal.

This was a great deal, even if it is the last deal going into the year, the team is 2 deep at every position, never before has that been the case.

This is a very good team, already......the ceiling, as is, will be determined on the court.

DD

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, this is a very good point. I think Morey probably could have done a lot of damage in the trade market if he had Collison as a trade piece(or maybe to make Brooks expendable) but it would have been at the expense of the overall roster as Collison would have had a hard time finding minutes and we would be down a defensive 2/3 at the same time. I think this kind of proved that Morey's idea of collecting assets is secondary to putting together a deep team at each position. That's a fairly obvious point, but the way Morey haters(and there are a few out there) paint Morey you would think he only cares about stats, money, and assets and this move proves that's not entirely true.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

where did all this hate of TA coming from? I see no post regarding this issues for the whole season and after a trade, POW, all the dogs came out and play.

And the same thing for artest last season as well......

10. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Are you kidding me?

Every single game everyone was complaining about Ariza all season long. You must have been asleep or something, because there mere multiple threads and every single game thread where he was being commented on for his poor dribbling and sad decision making. And then he did that elbow thing, and the yelling at Brooks during the game, and people have been calling for him to be traded all season.

11. blink

blink Contributing Member

ive always hated trevor and made it known

now that ariza's gone, rockets/clutchfans PR dont care about bashing ariza

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yep, and he deserved it.

Now a few short hair jockeys are feeling sad.

;)

DD

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I noticed this from very early in the season. I was livid to find out that Ariza has the audacity to get in brook's face after several bad choices from brooks. It's one thing to tell him he did wrong, but its a completely different one to tell get in his face and shout it at him.

Since then I have despised Ariza. Ariza is the new guy too, he doesnt respect seniority. Its pretty much like refusing to carry pads in the nfl.

Although, I will say that Ariza made a huge impact on brooks because soon after that, brooks started hitting game winners.

14. Mr. Space City

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=179442&page=1&pp=20

wut.

15. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Contributing Member

Sounds like someone made something up. Ariza was just overpaid

16. dartherus

dartherus Member

I don't know if that was Ariza's reason to be unhappy, but It's totally true about AB lack of court vision, no matter how much you love the team, you have to acknowledge that...

And it was not only Ariza who was ignored many times, Scola and even Yao before his latest injury, were wide open and ignored by Brooks consistently....

He totally lacks court vision, and he should be traded at his peak trade value, before the memory of his MIP award is vanished....

17. Dream Shake 81

Can someone please check the validity of the statement that was made about K.Mart and C.Lee being real close and them being a combo that was wanted for a while.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

According to Feigan, Martin and Lee have the same trainer and have worked out together in the offseason the past three years:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7148996.html

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ariza did have more years in the league that Brooks had.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But isn't everyone glad that Brooks ignored him, and just did whatever he thought was right?

I would hate for Brooks to have backened down and passed the ball to such an inefficient player.

How often have you been playing ball with a guy who thinks he is great but really is not all that, as a PG, you freeze that guy out a lot......

Give them a few bones here and there to keep them wondering but overall go to a better option more often than not based on the situation and score.

KUDOS for AB !

DD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.