1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story behind the Brooks / Ariza fallout?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RAID, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Totally different, Artest was up front about who he was, and just did whatever he wanted, and the org knew it going in...

Ariza started acting like he was the new sherriff in town, and basically he just got gunned down.

DD

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He had issues with Brooks...nothing huge...just didn't think he focused on distributing the ball enough (which he doesn't). It wasn't a selfish thing, he just wanted him to make the right plays. There were times when he called for the ball, not necessarily to shoot but because he was in position to make the right play (a drive, another pass, etc.)

He was probably just wasting his time. Brooks is a really good scoring guard but he just doesn't see the floor like a great PG ore even a good playmaker.

3. Prince

Prince Member

why did rockets sign him if that's the case?

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Brooks just didn't want to pass the ball to an inefficient player, and wanted to run the offense.

There is a clip going around that shows Ariza whining about not getting the ball, and each time, Brooks makes a pass to someone else.....it is not about shooting it is about Brooks knowing who should get the ball, and Ariza not liking it.

They took a gamble that he could improve his game, and develop, it didn't work out.

Not to mention the sand shifted under their feet, they did not know Budinger was so good, and they did not have Martin either.

After the makeover, Ariza just did not fit in that well, and Morey fixes his mistakes very fast.

Artest and Ariza...one year....then......BOOM out you go !

DD

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

DM did not overpay for Ariza at all. Ariza isn't some scrub like most of y'all make him out to be, he was just asked to do too much when the season first started and that image colored his entire season. TA's only making the full mid-level. I fail to see why someone who give you excellent D, is young and extremely athletic isn't worth that much. He'll never be an all-star as long as Melo and Durant are still in the West, but IMHO his contract is cheap for his talent.

6. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

at fist I was like this :mad: then I thought about Arizas game and was like this :rolleyes: and after reading the praise from Van Gundy and seein youtube vids Im now like this :cool: I like this trade now, especially after remembering how lethargic and agitated Ariza always seemed to be on the court

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Pretty much, as long as you're up front with being a dickhole, it's cool right?

I don't think that sounds right. I'm sure Morey saw an opportunity to shed some cap room and get under the LT with still providing a solid rotation player at the end.

TA wasn't my favorite player but he was good at what he did; defend, bring length and athleticism to the 3, and create turnovers. We hoped he would become more efficient on offense but obviously the value of Courtney Lee and his contract were enough to make him expendable.

I really doubt this has much to do with Morey's decision, the "fallout" with Brooks.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Sure, there are instances where he wanted the ball.

But, his major issue was with Brooks and his inability to make the right plays. That much, I know...not speculating here.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yeah, probably not, it would not be the main factor at all.

I think the main factor was the $$$$, then that they liked Lee, and that there was no way they could play 3 small forwards at the same time....

They needed one of them to go, and Battier is an expiring, which makes him more valuable at the trade deadline.

Look, if they TRULY believed in Ariza they would not have traded him.......

The truth is, they did not believe in him, and wanted him gone........so he is....

Not speculating...LOL...whatever.

But some folks are always going to complain about our better players....Brooks right now, is arguably our BEST player on the floor.....

DD

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Concerning Ariza's situation...I know...much more than you think I do.

11. ak99999

ak99999 Member

There was also a game where Ariza was playing poorly and was frustrated so he took a wild swing at someone on the other team. Luckily he missed.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is interesting information to know and certainly jives with how a guy as talented as Ariza has bounced from so many good teams(NY excluded) in such a short amount of time. He's probably one of those guys who is really going to reward a team when he settles down a bit with age...the trick is to be the team that grabs his right before that point.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so you are saying that the situation with brooks and ariza is being overblown?

14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets did overpay for him. Yout don't pay guys like him that type of money. This isn't the old way where you can just outbid people. This is the NBA not the MLB.

I don't think anyone is thinking he's a scrub. Morey wouldn't have signed him if that was the case.

15. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

This is the power Brooks holds on this team. Man he can actually get a player he didn't like to be traded. SNEAKY BASTID!

16. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True... We all know what took place last season. All i'm trying to point out is Ariza did do things to help this team last year. They wouldn't have won as many games as they did last year without him. The only thing we don't know was how he could of played with Yao.

The trade was a great move just as long as they do something this season at the deadline or next summer.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Would have been my guess as well. This is not to say, however, that Ariza would have been right to be vocal about it even if he meant well-- that's sort of the coach's job, to balance teaching a player to do better and avoiding holding back the player's natural talent by giving him too much to think about.

My speculation is that Ariza kind of tried to "lead the team" by following Kobe Bryant's example because that's where Ariza learned how to win. Kobe can be quite emotional on the court, doing things like slapping Gasol up the head during a timeout. The problem is Ariza doesn't quite have Kobe's talent level experience level or respect level. I can see how a guy like AB, who is about the same age as Ariza, can roll his eyes at Ariza trying to be "team leader" or "educator."

1 person likes this.
  18. sbyang

sbyang Member

I blame Tracy Mcgrady and the #1 jersey.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Good point.....

It was a pure case of a question of "Whose team is it"

An alpha dog battle between Brooks and Ariza, and Brooks had the ball, and is a better player.

Brooks won, Ariza did not like it, out he goes.

Ok, I am willing to listen, let's see what ya got.

DD

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Don't know about a fallout outside of that one game, but I might believe.

My thoughts on why the trade went down...

1.) Money. Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola's contracts ain't cheap and with Miller added on, they have to lose some baggage if they want to get under the luxury tax or are going to resign either Brooks or Yao after next season. If there is a next season.

2.) Log jam at the SF position. Despite what they (and I admittedly) thought last year, Ariza couldn't transition into a effective SG. Now, normally that wouldn't be bad, as he could just phase out the aging Battier. But Battier is still unquestioned the best leader of the locker room, makes his teammates play better defense and realizes he can't be a offensive play maker. Then you have a younger Budinger that is learning and developing at a pace that has impressed the coaches. Also Jefferies is still there. Ariza is obviously the better starter right now, but he isn't a wise leader and isn't young or has the offensive ceiling of Chase. Making him expendable in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.