1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what's the status on rice?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketloaf, Jul 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rocketloaf

rocketloaf Member

rice seems to be the biggest question about the rockets season. for the past few years he hasn't really been able to get into the groove for whatever reason (injuries, lack of committment, etc.). From looking at the roster he seems to be the missing link, the scoring threat that the Rockets need to be playoff contender in the West. The Rockets are full of offensively skilled players, and over his career Rice has probably been the most skilled out of all of them. Does anyone know his status as of right now? Is he healthy? committed? excited about playing for JVG? He's only three years removed from being an effective scoring threat, if he comes in able to hit the long ball; then we have an offensive that will be able to truly punish the opposing team.

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

The Rice is cooked! If not for the contract he would be out of the league...

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A little goes good with gumbo. ;)

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I get the feeling that under JVG, Rice's new nickname will go something like, "DNP-CD".

5. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

The Status? He's an overpaid old basketball player.

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

You guys are going to eat your words... ;)

7. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I hope you're right but the man has played a complete season since joining the Rockets.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What's funny, is that as it stands right now barring any trades, Rice is probably our starting SF. :(

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what y'all are saying but I have been happy with Rice's production off the bench. I'm not happy about his contract but the fact it is coming off the books next year is beautiful. Now if he were to sign cheap for next year I would sign him. The player I hate the most is the Mooche. I want him gone and traded next year.

10. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Status on rice? Didn't you here? He's tearing up the summer leagues in Miami

oh yeah and Eddie Griffin has gained 20 lbs. of solid muscle (turns out it is humanly possible to gain 20lbs in three months) and grown 2 inches, he's now 7' 250 lbs...not bad for a 3. :D

Oh wait, hold on a minute, that was LAST summer - I'm not too sure about this summer.

11. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I think we mis-used him the past couple yrs.

Rudy would put Rice in, run no play for him and ask him to play defense? That was terrible, we lose out at both ends of the floor.

Not until very late last season did we run play for him. Remember the curl around picks along the baseline up to the elbow or the top of the key? He can still knock a few down.

If I were Rudy, I would not have put Rice on the court unless my offense needed outside shooting. But once I put him on the court, I would run play for him.

12. Sane

Sane Member

After his shoulder injury last season, Rice absolutely TORE IT UP. What are you guys talking about?

He was one of the main reasons we were in playoff contention.

I'm not too happy with him starting though.

13. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Maybe the rockets could have nachbar, rice, pike and EG on the court at one time.. have them bombard the ring from the 3pt line

14. rocketloaf

rocketloaf Member

yeah, except not so much bombarding from griffen.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The Rockets need to order 100 gallons of Preservative from the Taxidermy Supply. Then put Glen Rice in his new Uniform into it. He should be left there untill ten days prior to the playoffs. We might need him on fresh legs to get into the second round.

16. Lil'ManSlick

Lil'ManSlick Member

Rice is still a solid player off the bench. Hitting threes is forte; sometimes ringing off 3 or 4 at a time. He also has a couple of high percentage moves in the post like when he backs the younger ligher forwards in there and leans on them fo 5-10 footers. He is also a veteran leader with a nice repetoire that the young stars have to listen to and respect.

He's starting to wash out so he's better of the bench than starting for his lack of D.

LMS

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This is true but it wasnt Rudys fault he wasn't running the Team last season, Francis was! Not any more!! JVG has taken command and will demand Team Basketball and great defence from everyone!

18. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Stein mentioned Rice as a ideal candidate for a team like Utah....so they could try to land a bigger free agent next summer... I bet he's gone by the all star break.

19. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

NO!!! he was they only one who could hit a clutch 3 pt shot on a consistant basis besides steve on that inbound play to yao, handoff steve...swish!!!! we need that veteran presence, if you get to a game early you will see why this guys is in the nba. he is out their alone before warmups with 2 ball boys, and he will go around the 3 pt line, like the 3pt shootout, and he just hits 14-15 in a row before missing one, then he rips 10 more swishes.

20. oj411

oj411 Member

I heard a rumor from someone that Rice will not be a Rocket next year. Like I said again just a rumor have no real proof and I usually do not like to post rumors.