1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Solomon Hearing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by desihooper, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

27 pages of speculation? Or has there been more information?

2. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

With every move you have to analyze the risk versus the reward. The reward of bringing in Carter for instance is what? Is he what we need to get us past the best teams in the league? I dont think so. Everyone is complaining about ball stopping and defense. He doesnt address those problems. At best he helps get us past the first round this year and we're stuck with him and his contract for 3 more years of mediocrity.

Thats the risk. To me its obvious. The risk there is far greater than the reward.

3. drich

drich Member

he will be on the books till 2011.....he will be an expiring contract that year so you can trade as an expiring deal that year

4. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I have not seen Carter play in the last two seasons to judge his caliber..

and I don't think Morey will be signing him just because of his contract.. not because of what he can bring/not bring to the team.

the reason the Artest experiment went ahead was because he had just 1 yr left in the contract...

5. drich

drich Member

that is even more reason why you go and get Carter if you ask me.......you still would have around 13 to 14 million depending on the cap that year to spend on another FA....plus Carter is an expiring that year to trade for another big name star on a team not going anywhere

6. jVgOwnsYou

Thats not how you build a consistant winner IMO. You don't keep trading for aging guys with massive contracts and then trading them as an expiring contract. Thats how the Knicks got into the mess theyre in now.

You want your highest paid guys to be guys you build around for 5-10 years. The rockets need to be looking for a young star to replace mcgrady and will complement Yao until his career is over.

7. drich

drich Member

;)
    Well that will only be done through the draft in my opinion......the NBA is set up now to keep the talent on the team they are playing on..........FA's just don't come young anymore

8. jVgOwnsYou

I just dont think Carter is what this team needs to get to the next level, and he's not worth the risk...Any way you slice it hes going to cost the team about 50 million dollars. He's just not worth it IMO. He's a older, shorter, healthier, more selfish version of mcgrady. Thats not going to get us anywhere especially when we already have a gluttony of 2/3s on this team.

#548 jVgOwnsYou, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. jVgOwnsYou

well you can trade for young stars who are unhappy in their current situation like bosh ;)

Thats how we got mcgrady too, and no matter what you think of the guy, he's been a hell of a player for us since we picked him up.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

OK, I pulled together the list of "big name" FAs for 2010, including the ones like Nash who will be in their late 30s. People need to remember that superstars eventually decline, too. We are seeing it with our own eyes in Houston even if it's an extreme case. This list only includes unrestricted FAs.

LeBron James (P)
    Dwayne Wade (P)
    Amare Stoudamire (ETO)
    Chris Bosh (P)
    Joe Johnson
    Paul Pierce (ETO)
    Ray Allen
    Dirk Nowitzki (ETO)
    T.J. Ford (P)
    Michael Redd (ETO)
    Steve Nash
    Manu Ginobili

P = Player Option
    ETO = Early Termination Option

So, that's a list of 12 pretty impressive names. Forgetting about the options, let's first consider age.

In the 2010-11 season...

Pierce will be 33,
    Allen 36,
    Dirk 32 going on 33,
    Redd 31 and is not a well-conditioned athlete,
    Nash 36 going on 37,
    Manu 33 going on 34.

I'd remove all those names as players to get hyped up about and plan for based on age alone, no matter how exciting their names are today.

That leaves 6 of the original 12.

I would drop LeBron for sure, leaving the list at 5. I don't see Wade coming to Houston, either. If he doesn't stay in Miami, I see him in Chicago or Detroit or some big market.

The list is down to 4:

Bosh
    Amare
    Johnson
    Ford

If Amare gets traded, there is a good chance the team that acquires him will find a way to extend him. Amare is also frustrated playing with a big that takes up the paint like Shaq. Why would he want to be stuck playing with Yao? I just don't see him wanting to play for Houston or fitting next to Yao.

The list is down to 3:

Bosh
    Johnson
    Ford

I wouldn't rule out any of those 3 players but remember, there will be a lot of teams bidding in 2010. Most of those teams will miss out on their number one target, leaving several teams fighting for their 2nd, 3rd or 4th choices. Yao may not be nearly the attraction that some people think he is to these remaining guys, assuming he's healthy. That means we are likely going to end up fighting with a host of other teams for these remaining FAs. Ford arguably isn't even an elite player and Johnson will be 29 going on 30 in 2010-11.

I may have missed a player or two or have some bad information in this post, but the picture should be clear. Considering we only have a reasonable chance at Bosh out of the true Big 4 2010 FAs, the age and likely decline of many of the other "big names" on that list, the fact that demand in 2010 will far outweigh supply based on all the hype and planning organizations are doing, we are probably better off trying to make a good deal before then in order to find a replacement for McGrady. Yao's days are numbered if you consider his age and body type. He will be 30 by 2010-11. I'd rather do everything possible to upgrade the players around him as soon as possible, especially considering the reality of the "2010 sweepstakes."

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Brooksball, that's what I came up with. I think if the rockets are smart and they want to rebuild quickly on the fly around yao, this offseason is the yr to do it. Tracy,Rafer,Scola is 30m worth of salaries and shane is another 7m If they do their homework, they can rebuild and be ready to roll.

12. BrooksBall

That's how I see it. 2010 is turning into a gold rush but there isn't enough gold.

Morey, himself, said on the radio last week that 2010 is overhyped and that teams can take advantage of that by dealing with teams that bought into the hype.

13. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

You people need to also consider who wants to win a championship and who is jsut in for the money when 2010 start rolling.

Having Yao is a bonus but the money will be the major factor.

14. Chamillionaire

good post, if i were morey, i'd sign artest to an extension, trade off pieces and get joe johnson and or ford.

15. scola4

scola4 Member

my guess is that we somehow are acquiring kevin martin for tracy mcgrady with obviously a lot of other players involved but i bet it is something like that...
    im so excited i cant wait...

16. NateNate

NateNate Member

i would rather not be teased.. now i wont be able to sleep! seriously then the bad part is it might not happen.... because i dont have enough time to read all the pages what are the chances of this happening and when will we know?

17. BrooksBall

Here you go...

Updated: List of clues from Solomon's blog about this mystery rumor:

-it doesn't involve McGrady
    -it doesn't involve Caron Butler
    -the talks were preliminary and it is unlikely to happen
    -he includes a reference to an article in the same blog saying Nash is likely untouchable
    -"It can't be a straight-up deal, but as for coming this way, there is only one star-level player in the mix." (Solomon's own words)
    -asked why the deal is unlikely to happen, Solomon said, "It takes two to tango." (one party may not be interested)
    -Scola or Landry will most likely be involved in any significant deals (and his rumor sounds like it would be significant)
    -"I said from the start that if anything would happen it would be in the next few days, not the next few hours. I didn't mean it like the kind of tease that you needed to sit on the edge of your seat for. I thought I made it clear that you would jump out of your seat if it happens, and be darned upset if it doesn't. Relax, it is not going to happen in the next couple of days. Because of the All-Star Game gathering, info on it might get out before then." -- Solomon
    -some of Solomon's comments also make it sound like it clearly isn't Nash

Source: http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/02/post_75.html

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Thats mostly correct. But you need to include Aaron Brooks and Joey Dorsey as well.

Yao might opt out and sign a big extension with the Rockets...probably for the max because of his commercial value.

Thats why I am saying: TRADE BATTIER!!!

Trade him now while he has value and we can get something of value in return and have extra capspace in return. Battier is only going to decline from now onwards. If he isn't traded now at least trade him during the summer. We don't want him to clog up our capspace in 2010 while we can sign young guns and Battier will only be an aging player.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Whats all this hype about Caron Butler? Why is his name being mentioned so much out of all the possible players available.

I'd lovvve Butler on this team..and I think Battier would fit in the Wizards very well with so many people demanding touches in Washington(Arenas Jamison Haywood)...but Battier has to be moved in any deal. I'm willing to include Luther Head and maybe Landry.

20. billqt0101

billqt0101 Member

WISH! Bibby !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.