1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's so bad about Hayes as our PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smartxtai, Jul 23, 2007.

1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

I don't get why a majority here don't think Hayes isn't good enough for our PF position. Last year, Hayes showed us that he is a great picker and roller. He knows when to cut to the basket while discreetly doing it. Doesn't everyone remember all those assists that TMAC got as a result of Hayes cutting to the basket? With Adelman's motion offense, I actually think that Hayes will fit just fine because of his high IQ to know when to cut to the basket and Adelman's offense scheme requires high IQ. I'm not as worried about him trying to shooting outside because we already have tons of shooters on this team. Hayes was an excellent finisher around the basket and always seemed to escape from his defender at the right time to fine himself wide open at the basket.

Hayes was an offensive liability last year because of the way JVG structured the offense which was basically dump the ball to yao and have yao pass it out to the shooter when he's double teamed. However, when Yao was out of the game and TMAC was in, Hayes was a lot more effectively offensively because of his picks and rolls with TMAC.

I think with Adelman's motion offense, Hayes strengths would really be displayed because he is great at cutting to the basket, pick and roll, finishing around the rim, and rebounding. He won't be shooting outside jumpers so I don't understand why people keep saying he's an offensive liability. He's only a liability if he shoots those outside jumpers but he doesn't and won't in Adelman's system.

#1 smartxtai, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Because he's an offensive liability and teams don't guard him and instead sag on Yao cause they know hayes will never take a jumpshot or is much threat to score.

3. Daryl F'n Morey

Hayes has been a efficent PF for us. The only thing I see, is that if Chuck or Scola go down in an injury, it would be nice to add another PF to man that spot, so we arent as "stuck" as we have been the past few years with injuries.

Resigning Chuck Hayes and Deke seem very inportant to me.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Towards the end of the season he really was a great finisher and could make great layup shots. I don't get where people just say OMFG HAYES JUST SUCKS AT OFFENSE LOLZ, cause he definitely can make his inside shots.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he's not a GREAT pick and roller....anyone not named stromile swift can cut to the basket....good finisher, not excellent. pretty good defender...heart will only get you so far. i'll take chuck if he's coming off the bench

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

When the average rec center player has a better chance of making a jumpshot, it's a problem. :D

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Tim duncan, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudamire, Dirk Nowitski, Carlos Boozer

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hayes is not an offensive liability, the Rockets points per possession were not lowered when Hayes was in there. Anything he lacks in shooting range is made up by his offensive rebounding.

There are, of course, clear upgrades out there. The question is, considering how little money it would likely cost to keep Hayes, which one of the attainable upgrades are worth the price the Rockets pays in terms of both salary and players/picks traded?

Morey seems like the kind of guy who will leave no stone unturned, but sometimes, there just isn't a good enough deal out there. We'll see what he finds.

9. Nice Rollin

btw...who taught chuck hayes how to shoot freethrows liek that?

10. ham

ham Member

Hayes did a great job last year, but the team didn't accomplish its goals. So, it's necessary to upgrade wherever possible. Chuck is definitely a quality NBA player and a great low-post defender.

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

you've got to be kidding me....

12. scola

scola Member

He will have a chance to stay as the starting PF while Scola struggles at the beginning of the season.

Another PF would be good to add some depth.

13. Rover16

Rover16 Member

I don't think scola will have any problems adjusting and will play well right off the bat. To quote vspan, "basketball is basketball." :cool:

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's short, he doesn't have a jumper, and he doesn't have the hops to dunk the ball, at least he rarely does. (forgot his vitamins?) I love Chuck, but as has been mentioned by others in several threads, it's all about spacing. If the defense knows Chuck never is a threat from midrange, they can leave him, and do. It makes it tougher on Yao, who doesn't need things tougher, right? Those extra couple of strides the defender has to make to cover a 4 with a midrange game makes a huge difference. Hayes is great to have on the bench, and I hope there is some way we can keep him on our crowded roster, but he shouldn't be playing more than around 10 minutes a game, depending on the situation. Hayes should be behind Scola and someone else on the depth chart. If Butler can do anything for us at the 4, it's even more crowded.

15. Nice Rollin

basketball is basketball......i guess thats why he's not in the nba anymore

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Im good with Chuck...Just not as the starter. With Scola, I say problem solved. Id take Haslem if we can get him for Rafer + filler, but otherwise I think were okay. As long as Chuck doesnt try to defend Shaq by getting his kneecap busted again.

17. scola

scola Member

Most foreigners need time to adjust. Almost all I should say.

FIBA and NBA have different styles of play and rules. The performance of NBA players in FIBA competitions are a proof of that.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it takes foreigners time to adjust. hayes will at least start the season, i believe.

19. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Yeah hayes is great for rebounding and hustle, but his lack of any sort of jumpshot means he can't be a starter. You have to be someone of ben wallace's caliber defensively to make up for your offensive liabilities to be a starter.

[​IMG]

20. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

because he sucks at offense
    because he sucks at defense
    because 6 fouls a game is not good defense.

oh, and HOW DOES A PF SUCK AT LAYUPS, THAT BADLY?

:mad: