1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's changed about the Rox lately? Explain.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LewLLOYD, Mar 7, 2011.

1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I'm certainly enjoying watching the Rox lately. What's changed?

I'm interested in other's take on why we are playing better ball,
    and what we are doing differently.

Are we just playing harder? Easier schedule? Is it the pressure that we need a playoff push? Is it the relief that the trade deadline is over. Was it the recent personnel changes? (Unclear that trading Battier and AB would make us better, so what's the explanation there?) Was it sitting Hill? Playing 2Pat? More time for Lee? Is it that we have a smaller rotation with clearer roles? So many possible explanations, curious what people think are the most relevant details.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Budinger starting is obvious answer. Brooks not taking up minutes as a negative to our team. Instead Goran Dragic comes in and at least plays defense if he isnt on in that night. Two positives added since the trade.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Easier schedule, renewed optimism that the West is wide open with Melo/DWill gone and the Lakers slumping(until the SA game).

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks' suckage is gone. Feigan said other player hated playing with him in crunch time.

5. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

idk, a buncha things, but its awesome.. :):):grin::):)

6. lean

lean Member

We're much better defensively lately for some reason, that's the long and short of it. Why we're suddenly better defensively is a good question though one which I couldn't really answer. I would guess it's because guys like Lee and PPat are getting more PT, giving us more defensive-oriented athleticism... if that makes sense.

1 person likes this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Wow. Link?

I certainly hated watching it, but didn't know the players would think that. Actually, why wouldn't they?

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Bud = more offense
    No battier = more time for Lee off the bench who is good defensively and offensively.

No Brooks = more of our offense, and better D by Dragic. Also, more Pt for Lowry who is a better ballhandler, better defender, better rebounder, better distributor, better basket-attacker.

Big Dick = playing consistent minutes over J Hill

Went to espn.com the other day, we average the lowest # of turnovers per game.

9. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Courtney Lee happened

1 person likes this.
  10. redao

redao Member

Battier is overrated.

2 people like this.
  11. Giddy-What-Up

Giddy-What-Up Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's all of those things you mentioned.

- we are just playing harder
    - easier schedule
    - pressure that we need a playoff push
    - relief that the trade deadline is over
    - personnel changes? (addition by subtraction - shortening the rotation)
    - sitting Hill for not showing the consistency or focus
    - playing 2Pat for the opposite reasons of sitting Jordan
    - more time for Lee as a product of rotation shortening. Looks like he's thinking less on offense... looks almost as fluid as he did when he was with Orlando
    - smaller rotation with clearer roles

1 person likes this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

Rookies like Patterson have logged enough time to really understand the game.

Dragic can actually defend at the point meaning there are fewer bad defensive rotations like there were when Aaron Brooks would use the red cape.

Budinger is a better scoring option at the 3 than Shane ever could hope to be and he is being very aggressive. In short, he's regained his confidence.

Courtney Lee's PT has increased due to the fact the logjam at the 2/3 position was loosened.

Lowry no longer needs to look over his shoulder wondering if he's keeping his starting job. He just seems so much more comfortable these days.

Team chemistry has improved since we don't have the AB cancer potential.

Kevin Martin is having the best season of his life....especially lately.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

here
    '

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Chase playing more aggressive and easier schedule

15. TheGoldenGreek

Budinger and Lee are really steppin up offensively. Defense has tightened because we have a strong wing defender on the court at all times now whether it be Lowry, Lee, or Dragic.

16. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I think it is a combination of everything... The chemistry just looks a lot better! if Yao was healthy this team could win the west. Our defense is really stepping up i just wish they played Thabeet more because i really feel that if we were just to plug that middle with a legit 7 footer our defense could be awesome. As slow as Brad Miller is and as yuck as it makes me feel when he decides to dribble and back down his man.... his defense or his size which clogs the lane just seems to limit the scoring of the other team. Thabeet may not be as coordinated but i really feel that his quickness and extra three inches can make up for it... i also feel that with time the coordination will slowly come!

17. mag

mag Contributing Member

Hopefully people start seeing that!!!!

2 people like this.
  18. Giddy-What-Up

Giddy-What-Up Member

excluding Budinger and Miller we have more 2-way players playing more minutes in our rotation now (Lee, Lowry, Dragic, Pat2). While Kevin Martin, Budinger and Scola are putting in the effort on defense, and vice versa for Chuck and offense.

1 person likes this.
  19. choujie

choujie Member

2nd unit, that's what changed. You gain defense, hustle, rebounding, unselfish plays with PP/Dragic over Hill/AB. That's what 2nd unit had been missing before the trade.

Starting 5 used to give Rockets a lead, only to see 2nd unit lost it quickly. Now it's no longer the case.

1 person likes this.
  20. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

One thing I failed to mention in the opening post was our defense.
    How has our defense gotten better?

We are finally clicking on defense, and that is certainly key.

Why were we so bad at D before, and what are we doing differently?

Playing Lee and 2Pat more, certainly. Dragic as well.
    Lee, 2Pat and Dragic are all three better two way players than Battier, AB, and Hill, IMO.