1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats an easy vegetable to add into your diet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, May 25, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

I hate veggies. But i understand they're good for you. What is the end all be all vegetable one can take that is:

1) not raw. Taste of raw veggies is nasty. So something you can cook easily. I usually put chicken in a cast iron pan on the stove and into the oven. Anything i can add into that pan?
    2) ill make a few exceptions to uncooked veggies. It just has to taste good.
    3) steamable packs are good after heating up once. But i feel like its wasteful after having your first portion.

Xerobull likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This has the makings of an Avocado Toast thread ... although like tomatoes...its a fruit

Nook, Xerobull, KingCheetah and 2 others like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hard to imagine someone thinking veggies taste disgusting, raw or otherwise. Not that one should like every vegetable but there are so many options.

raw that you can start with that aren’t likely to be offensive to you would be carrots and cucumber. Not the healthiest, especially cucumber but tasty start.

spinach tastes really good and different if you just sautés it in a pan. Add some garlic.

Leafy greens of any kind are good. Basically a salad.

my favorite vegetable currently is the Brussels sprout. It’s great cooked in the oven or chopped up and sautéed in a pan. Again add some seasoning. Garlic. Onions. Soy sauce. Whatever.

With chicken in a pot? Potatoes (not a veggie but still) , carrots, green beans maybe a squash or zucchini is the obvious. If you want to get crazy add celery, asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, mushrooms, okra, sweet peppers carrots, etc.

Just try stuff out bro.

oh and avocado on toast or otherwise is awesome!

Blatz, Buck Turgidson and FrontRunner like this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I vividly remember throwing up the first time I tried broccoli as a kid, but I've grown to almost crave it since then. It makes a great little side dish steamed, or simply microwaved on a plate for a few minutes, and you can also mix it with a ton things. If that's not your thing you can try cauliflower.

If you're still struggling, try carrots. They're good for you, really cheap, and if you cook them long enough, especially with some chicken and broth, they'll sweeten up and add to the taste without being overbearing.

5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I pretty much eat vegetables one of two ways.

1) Stir fry Chinese style with garlic, salt, white pepper, and sesame oil. https://thewoksoflife.com/stir-fried-snow-pea-leaves-with-garlic/

This works for pretty much any green leafy vegetables like kale or spinach. But this method shines with vegetables you can get in the Asian market like snow pea leaves, chinese brocolli, tong hao (chrysanthemum), and taiwanese spinach. Even heartier vegetables like brocolli, string beans and asparagus can be cooked like this. You just have to adjust the amount of liquid you put in for the steaming step.

2) Oven roasted vegetables at a high temperature. This works well for vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, and asparagus as well as hearty vegetables like butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, and mushrooms, The general idea is just cut the pieces into uniform sized pieces, toss with olive oil (more than you think you need), salt, and pepper. Optionally add other seasons like garlic power, lemon pepper, italian seasoning, etc to taste.

The key for roasting vegetables is to do it at a pretty high temperature of 450-500F. Browning is essential for flavor. Depending on what temperature you roast your chicken, you probably can't do both chicken breast and vegetables at the same time in the same oven.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think I consumer a giant avocado everyday.

Brocolli and cauliflower is so easy just to toss in oven with some EVOO and seasoning. It can go with any meal pretty much.

I eat salad straight out of the plastic container as I hate salads, but know I have to eat it.

My fav after avocados, def eggplants. Especially baba ganoush. Can eat that **** all day long.

Nook likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rice and potatoes.

Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

My go-to's are

asparagus spears (buy the thin ones) tossed in lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt/pepper, roasted until they're soft but not mushy, and then shave a little parmesan or similar cheese on them

baby spinach on the stove with a little olive oil, s/p, garlic, shallot (if you're in the mood to be not-so-healthy creamed spinach is wonderful)

mushrooms, any kind cooked any number of ways

zucchini and/or yellow squash, sauteed with olive oil, garlic, s/p

cauliflower, tossed in olive oil with spices (a little chili powder/cumin/garlic/salt) and roasted (same with broccoli, just use a more Italian spice mix)

bell peppers (the lighter in color the sweeter they are...yellow/orange>red>green), sauteed with onions or roasted

steamed artichoke (great appetizer) with a bit of lemon butter

sweet potatoes, mashed or roasted

eggplant are awesome but a bit of a pain in the ass

and a bunch of others...those are the easiest off the top of my head. You could google something like "how to cook vegetables for people who don't like vegetables" and get some ideas. Spices are key. If you like asian food try out some stir fry recipes, it's a quick easy way to incorporate veggies (snow peas, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, etc...) into your chicken dinner.

Also, think about soups. I ****ing love soup.

No Worries likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Spinach cooked into anything has the mildest of taste. You can practically throw it in everything from eggs to pizza and not even know it was there if you didnt see it first. Plus its one of the most healthy vegges there is.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

spinach is the easiest

I consume most of my veggies in smoothies these days

-1 cup original almond milk
    -1 frozen banana (doesn’t have to be frozen, but any banana used must be ripe)
    -1 whole carrot
    -1 tangerine
    as much spinach as I can fit in the blender (not frozen spinach, but the one that’s in the fruit and vegetable section at HEB)
    -1 tablespoon of chia seeds

blend it all up and put in the fridge to cool, and there u have it, an easy way to get a good amount of vegetables every day...very healthy, sweet tasting without adding in stuff like honey, vanilla, sugar, etc, and full of antioxidants with the chia seeds

I usually blend the milk, banana, and carrot 1st, and then add the rest and blend that

sautéing spinach is also very easy, it takes like 5 minutes

spinach is my main vegetable

when I’m being lazy, HEB mixed microwavable vegetables makes an easy sidedish

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My preferred way to eat cauliflower is to roast it. Just fyi if you want cauliflower but don't love the taste. 450 for 20 mins in the oven.

In fact I do a keto version of mac and cheese like this. The cheese sauce is melted cheese, heavy whipping cream, butter (I think) maybe something else. It's good. The kids like it too. I'll get the recipe if someone wants it.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My favorite quick cooking recipe:

Basically 1 box frozen spinach, 1 package ground beef, 1 onion, 1 tub sliced mushrooms, 3 eggs and some random pantry spices and parmesan. 5 minutes to buy at the store, 15 minutes to cook, huge bowl of gut filling tastiness, probably with leftovers for a second meal. You manage to down a whole box of spinach without tasting it.

I'll probably make it for dinner, now that I'm thinking about it.

If we are talking "really low bar" here and you just want to "dip your toes" with something super easy to microwave:

I buy these at HEB a bunch:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/alexia-mexican-style-street-corn/2449509

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/alexia-loaded-cauliflower-with-white-cheddar-bacon/2449016

If you bury something in cheese and bacon, or crema, lime and chili, it covers up most of that icky vegetable taste. Maybe not where you'd like to end up on the vegetable spectrum, but a good starting spot?

arkoe, KingCheetah and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Dude that looks gooood. Will try.

I've done something semi-similar (mine had wild rice in it, no eggs or mushrooms, and italian sausage instead of beef) and used it to stuff portobellos for the grill or oven.

Blatz likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love Chef John and the way he talks. I think I used one of his videos to cook a beef tenderloin once. Loved the "random pantry spices". lol.

As a kid, I wasn't fond of veggies, but as an adult, I'll try any veggies... even *blech* kale. I love broccoli, beets, eggplant, okra, etc. now, but as a kid hated them. I think my mom used to eat okra raw just to make me vomit.

arkoe and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I like to steam broccoli, asparagus and Brussels sprouts for quick day to day meals. Served just with butter and salt and pepper. Fast, crunchy, and retain their natural flavor that way. Or with a small amount of effort learn to make a legit bueer blanc and other traditional sauces, and now you have a delicious sauce to pour over them. Also sautéed mushrooms in butter are so delicious (dont over butter). Hungry just typing that sentence, think I’ll go make some right meow.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

my comfort food growing up, still is

wonton noodle soup w any combination of veggies and meat

secret is the broth; oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, ground pepper, sirracha
    [​IMG]

the veggies i use include broccoli, napa cabbage, red pepper, lotus roots, re-constituted dried mushroom.
    for meat, i usually use shrimp, tripe and BBQ pork (or left over pork chop)

these ingredients absorb the the broth well; the veggies provide a wide range of texture

sprinke some green onion and sesame oil on top; YUM​

17. Buck Turgidson

HATED veggies as a kid, to the point that I had my cheeseburgers plain. Didn't even like refried beans with my texmex.

Forgot about okra, I guess because you can't really find it in the grocery store, I grow it every year because it's easy. Don't like it stewed and slimy, but other than fried a couple of great ways are split in half lengthwise, seasoned, and roasted in the oven; and sliced with cubed potato/onion/tomato(rotel is good) and sauteed (my favorite). Pickled okra is also awesome.

Beets are totally underrated. Boiled, peeled, then grated like hashbrowns, mixed with butter and horseradish and cooked for a bit low on the stove. Very Central Euro side dish for a beef/pork meal.

Nook likes this.
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Blend kale or spinach with avocado, banana, pineapple and ice. (You can buy frozen avocado and pineapple at most stores and then forego the ice component). Place that all in a blender with 1-2 cups of almond milk, oat milk or regular milk.

Add powdered protein, if needed, and make yourself a nice tasting power smoothie. I add hemp seeds and some pecans as well into the mix. The drink is quite filling and can be a meal replacement.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

For the steam pack, just clip the top and throw it in your fridge and finish it tomorrow.

Anyway, I eat almost all of them. I love some good cooked sugar snap peas.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cabbage pancakes--add paprika and they pretty much taste like home fries

Ottomaton and Buck Turgidson like this.