1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's a Good Western US City to Visit? (I.e. Phoenix vs. LA, or other?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fadeaway, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While in Sedona, find a vortex.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I lived in Arizona and have been to scottdale. Yes, you can do "anything" but those same things can also be done in the majority of any major city...it's nothing special, it's not unique other than the fact its in the desert.

3. VanityHalfBlack

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

how many days do you recommend for this kind of a trip from houston?

i was thinking about doing this in september.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

You can find some nice vortex's in scottsdale inside the thighs of a leggy ASU blonde. Girls are wild there.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

You won't find more beautiful weather this time of year. Seattle and Portland in February/March? Really? ****ty, rainy, cold weather. Scottsdale has tons of resorts, good restaurants, indian/cowboy culture in old town. The desert and large cactus are beautiful to people who haven't seen them much. Spring training, catch a Suns game - if your single, an endless supply of blondes - even laying out by the pool this time of the year. Mountains, red rocks in Sedona, hot air balloon rides: http://www.hotairexpeditions.com/

Or you can just stay in Pearland and go to the park, lol.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right, scottsdale does have resorts and restaurants...just like everywhere else.

Yes, Arizona does have a southwestern culture, but if you really want that vibe you are much better served going to Tucson.

And yes, it is nice weather this time of year. Ok...and?

And you also pretty much reaffirmed what i said. That Arizona is a better place to go to if you want to spend time in nature. The OP mentioned that this was not necessarily that type of trip.

8. Pete the Cheat

Phx is kind of a dump...

LA all the way. My suggestion would be to stay somewhere in Orange County and venture in to the city. It's a big city, and definitely a hike to get to some of the tourist traps like Venice and Hollywood from OC, but driving the PCH makes it worth it.
    You can get lost for a day or two just walking the beaches in OC. Huntington Beach has a nice main drag, and there are plenty of shops right on the water farther south near Newport heading towards Laguna for the misses to peruse.

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

How is the public transportation in LA? Is renting a car pretty much mandatory? Would prefer not to.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be a huge gigantic pain if you didn't rent a car. There is public transportation and sometimes the subway beats traffic and parking. Depending on where you are going in hollywood or downtown and the time of day, the subway will definitely be easier. But it's best to go to a park and ride to even take the subway, so a car would still be advisable.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Seattle is beautiful...But cold and rainy as hell

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Too many posts to read, but... has anyone mentioned Seattle? I hear you can take a ferry into Canadian land... (real Canadian)

EDIT: Darn it. Someone did.
    Fine. Post pics of "the missus" ogtfo, then. :grin:

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't know about from Houston. But driving from Seattle to Vancouver is not as short as people think, it's like a 3 hour drive and you will be stuck at the border crossing for like at least 30 minutes. So if you decide to come up, don't make it a day trip.

Vancouver/Seattle is at their primes from Late May to September, and then it starts to rain non stop which is quite annoying.

14. Band Geek Mobster

As someone that has spent some time in Phoenix, I see no appeal in that city.

15. Band Geek Mobster

:eek: ...to that city...

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Heading to boulder next week, will let u know Fade

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I live in Boulder

Where u staying?

Lemme know if you need any restaurant, bar or other recommendations