1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you give to see Van Gundy get a tech for Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Der Rabbi, Dec 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I mean Yao has guys hanging all over his arms most nights & Van Gundy is yet to draw a tech. What gives?

2. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

Van Gundy does not know how to direct his negative energy for its most effective purposes.

3. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Yao throws a chair out onto the court and points his finger at JVG. :D

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Weird.... the guy bear hugs the leg of Zo... but won't get a simple techincial for Yao?!

5. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I'd much rather see Yao get a technical for Yao.

When Elden Campbell raked him across the arms, on that shot, and no whistle, he should've gone straight to the official.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, this is the coach that is soooooo loyal to his players.

7. University Blue

YM needs to get a technical for himself. He also needs to *zone* out JVG's defensive positioning philosophy, let his teammates check the guards on pick-and-rolls and stay in the middle of the lane.

Partly-Related: The league and officials are hugely accountable for the ugly scene in Detroit. The preferential calls, missed calls, deliberate no-calls, and pattern of awarding aggressive play sends the message that you have to either play like a thug...or join the Utah Jazz.

University (Cal-Zone) Blue

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JVG always looks at it that if Yao gets called for a foul then Yao was out of position. Sometimes that's the case, but sometimes it isnt.

JVG always hated the way Phil Jackson whines to the officials. (as do I). But the REALITY is that the more Phil makes a point about something on the court the more that creeps into the back of the refs minds and when situations come up that are a "toss up" call, they tended to go Phil's way.

JVG absolutely needs to start standing up more for Yao. In Yao's FIRST, rookie, year in the league he was getting BETTER foul calls than NOW, his 3rd year! That's just not right!

And can someone explain to me why a "jumpshooter" in Dirk can go to the line 22 times in one game? I mean it's not like he was taking it to the hole each time. They were JUMP shots! People breathed on Dirk wrong and he was going to the line but Yao gets his arms slaped and pushed in the back and he doesnt get jack!

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

ha! I agree...

Yao is too nice to get angry enough for a tech... or it falls under the "it's disrespectful to the motherland for a Chinese player to get a tech" type of communist attitude... it could also fall under, "what would my comrades back home think" attitude.

Yao's too soft and too nice to get a tech... JVG doesn't care enough to get one for him...

It probably boils down to money... no one wants to lose money for getting a tech..........

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: GET A DANG TECH!

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Oh, I'm sure Van Gundy would tell us that Yao is not agressive enough, or that Yao is aggressive at the wrong times, or that Yao is out of position to get fouls called for him...............reason #1252.

Two identical plays agaisnt Dallas illustrate this clearly. Yao goes up for a 10 footer, Dampier has his forearm in Yao's midsection pushing Yao back and continues to push Yao back all the way through Yao's follow through. Yao comes down and winds up on his keester. No call. Nowitzki shoots a 10 footer in the lane a few minutes later in the game. Juwon has his hand on Nowitzki's midsection, not his forearm, his fingers are touching Dirk. He wasn't pushing Nowitzki. Whistle blows and Juwon gets the foul. I don't mind so much them calling the foul on Juwon. But for goodness sake, give Yao the same call. I won't even talk about the 2 obvious foul calls against Yao that were totally bogus and the travel and offensive foul by Nowitzki that he got away with. I agree the last 2 years, Yao has gotten less calls and the only thing we hear from Van Gundy is how Yao needs to learn how to play. And now this year, the refs don't have the courtesy not to foul him out of the game, like they do Shaq, Dirk, Kobe, and the other superstars in this league when they get to 5. Now they just whistle him out like it's nothing.

This was a major problem last year with Steve and Cat. Out of their own frustration they would gripe at the refs, while Van Gundy was standing on the sidelines or sitting on his hands, never supporting his players during those situations. Most of the time they had legit beefs but they just looked stupid out there complaining and getting technicals while their coach was doing nothing. In my opinion, if Yao got a technical, we'd probably hear from Van Gundy about Yao's immaturity and he needs to learn how to play the right way. And Van Gundy would be on the bench doing nothing while his big man lost it.

The least thing Van Gundy can do is to send Boki or some other bench warmer in there to clothesline someone and send a message that if you are gonna rough it up, we will rough it up too and support his player when he does something like that. My goodness, we got 4 PF's that can't play. The least they can do is to remind the opposition and the refs that the rough stuff on Yao won't be tolerated. There will be retaliation. After all if we lose them, we got 3 more stiffs to stick in there. It's not like any of them are so criticial to our 6-11 success that they have to be on the floor for us to win a game.

Remember Steve last year, going after.........was it Malone? Steve did the right thing sticking up for his teammate. What did Van Gundy do? Stood on the sidelines and criticized Steve to the media all season. Other teams, coaches, referees are never gonna respect us if they know that they can constantly run over Yao and get away with it, if they can constantly whistle Yao and get away with it, if they can let the defense bang Yao constantly and not blow the whistle and not have to worry about the game getting too rough because Van Gundy doesn't let his players respond to that kind of thing. They are not going to respect us if they know our own coach doesn't respect his players enough to fight for them. I go back to, what kind of LOYALTY is that? From the coach that talks about how LOYAL he is to his players. I don't see it man.

I think this is one of Van Gundy's two biggest weaknesses. He talks about loyalty but he never shows it. Part of a coach's job is to make sure that his players are getting a fair shake on the floor. That is part of the job. You can't let your players constantly get beat up and not get fair treatment from the refs because you don't wanna be like Phil. You gotta quit worrying about Phil and worry about your team.

Although I would love to see Yao swing an elbow and get a tech for getting in a fight, it's not his nature and I don't think Yao should have to do that to get calls in his favor. Van Gundy is the coach. He needs to get a tech fighting for his players. There are players on this team (Deke, Spoon, Padgett, JJ) that will take care of that kind of thing if Van Gundy would let them and then SUPPORT them. He doesn't have to come out and say he advocates that kind of thing. When it happens, all he has to say, is that the game got rough out there and he understands that when players feel they are getting beat up, they will respond because they are professional athletes. He is smart enough to work the psychological angle with the referees. You get our guys out there and get into a fight or two, then all of a sudden the refs start calling the game close. Now, if the refs start calling every touch a foul, who is gonna benefit the most? Yao is. He would be unstoppable on the offensive end and on the defensive Yao is smart enough and controls his temper enough that he could play without touching the opponent. We could take advantage of situations like that. But none of that ever happens if Van Gundy continues to blame the players and doesn't ever address these situations with the refs and the league.

11. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

When watching that game, all I could think was: if Yao plays like a girl, Dirk plays like a girl who gets calls.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Yao has been treated like shht by the refs this entire season. I have never seen a player, not even a 10-day contract CBA scrub, get such little respect on both ends of the court.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

They know he plays weak and timid. He shows fear and they call him for ever little tick tack foul. Until he start asserting himself and getting a tech or two and showing that he needs to be respected, he won't get it.

JVG should stick up for his players a lot more instead of taking the high seat in the background and being quiet and making it lok like he is mad at the team or something for a bad call.

Get off your butt and yell a little...not at the team but at the refs for a change. Work the refs like everyone else in this league does.

14. rvpals

rvpals Member

That only shows JVG does not care about this team as much as he did for New York Knicks.

15. rvpals

rvpals Member

You're absolutely right. We need someone to whine to Refs, that's just the way NBA games work. How do you think Kobe and Shaq and Jordan gets all the good calls?

16. Stack24

Phil is one of the best at working the Refs and everyone in the league knows that. He did it from the tip off till the final buzzer. He really showed he was backing his team up.

17. rvpals

rvpals Member

Yao will rarely get so pisssed off and then hit the other guy or yell or elbow the guy hacking him. If you're looking for Yao to do that, it just won't happen often. JVG is the one need to chew out the official. From what I read in Yao's biography, he feels that he's representing Chinese people and Asian people, he won't have people say Asian people are brutal savage because he hit somebody.

18. Stack24

That's why i beieve there has to be a person on the team or the coach that needs to speak up. He is going to be humble in his ways and not make a move on players.

19. University Blue

Either Team YM underestimated the public's ability to separate YM from the Asian community or you mis-read/mis-interpreted what was written.

Someone pass YM a tape of the kung-fu movies or Mao's biography. It's one thing to be a "brutal [savage]" and another thing to have people say Asian people do not know how to box out or rebound.

Frankly, he's not portraying the Asian community in a positive light right now. It's an unfair burden, but YM not only has to play well; but he needs to dominate.

University (Peeking Duck) Blue

20. PhiSlammaJamma

What if we let Ewing coach 5 games this year, lol.