1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do to get #1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Apr 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I want to know what would you guys do if you where the rockets and wanted the first pick. I think it's obvious the man the rockets (and the rest of the NBA teams) want is Ming at #1. But what do you guys think it would take?

Also would you do something like this:

If GS got the #1 would you trade E.G., K.T., #5, #15 and a future #1st for Y. Ming and A. Jamison?

Or if Chicago got #1 would you trade E.G., K.T., M. N. #5, #15 for Y.Ming, E. Robinson, and M. Fizer.

I love E.G. but IMO to get Ming it's going to take at least one of our beloved 3. Would you guys give up E.G. for Ming? Honestly I don't know if I would, even though I know that Ming has size and skills that are 1 in a Billion.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I would give up Mobley before Eddie. Eddie will be better than Jamison is now and might even be more valuable than Steve. No way the Rockets give up on him after just one year.

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I believe that all teams picking before the Rockets cannot be satisfied by anything the rockets could aggressively give them, that would, at the same time, still make the rockets interested in Ming. Chicago, Memphis and Golden State are very talented and would simply want to add Ming if they got the number 1 pick, instead of bringing and moving a bunch of players. In other words those teams are like the rockets last year where we did not want to add three players and went for one, instead. Denver is the only possible exception.

That being the case the rockets should pray for the #1 pick or be satisfied with the two picks. I cannot see how I would be disappointed if the team got two lottery picks (essentially) to add to the current squad, minus Willis and Walt.

For those who say they want no rookies and want immediate contributions, I say look for that from MoT, Rice, and an improved EG, which are all reasonable, likely and would have an immediate impact. In the meantime at the end of your bench you have Stoudamire and company????, learning the ropes. You are set for a few years.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

i'd give up ANY INDIVIDUAL PLAYER on the roster...except for eddie griffin. he is my only untouchable.

i would give up all our picks this year, as well.

WHY?

because you can build a dynasty around a multi-faceted 20 & 22 year old frontcourt that measures 6'10 and 7'6" respectively.

5. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

It is highly unlikely that the Rockets will be able to aquire Ming because of our draft position and the fact that the front office and Rudy will never trade Griff, especially after one season (they know his potential is unmeasurable as well as Ming's). Come to think of it, Mobley and soon to be Francis are locked down and will not be traded.

Aside from the topic, do you think that in addition to our fifth pick, we could trade Toronto's 14th or 15th selection + KT for a pick that would allow us to nab C-Butler?

6. DearRock

Butler is a talented player who will do will in the league but he is still an unknown quantity and is not worth KT and a lottery pick, essentially. With the same pick you can get a player almost as good without giving up KT.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Two thumbs up if we get Ming at #1. If Golden State has #2, I would consider offering Steve and Cat for #2 (Williams) and Jason Richardson and then packaging Cato or Thomas with Toronto's pick to move up as far as possible to draft Woods (I can dream, can't I), Stoudemire, Wilcox, Gooden, Butler or Marcus (in that order by whoever is still left).

#7 thumbs, Apr 11, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2002
  8. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Steve Francis gets you Ming, period. He's a star, sure thing, plus all the teams ahead of us can use him. Should the Rockets do it? Maybe. Will the Rockets do it? No!!! (too risky)

9. jev6515

jev6515 Member

I'd be satisfied to walk away with Wilcox and Stoudamire...both give us athleticism and shot blocking and should provide us with rebounds. i don't think too highly of Yao because he looks too thin and fragile.

10. DearRock

Nobody is going to take Steve Francis instead on Ming. Not even on a cold day in hell.

11. Live

Live Member

I would do absolutely NOTHING to get the #1 overall pick.

Either the Rocks win the draft lotto, or they do the best with the picks they have.

Too many needs on this team to 'put their eggs in one basket.'

12. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

we would be the exception if you guys got rid of your "untouchables" list.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I would kick DoD in the nads if it meant we got the #1 pick.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You dont think we can Yao Ming for Steve Francis?

Now that is some funny ****.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'd do the same to you, if you had any.