1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would our record be with Rick Adelman coaching this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rubio needs to get some Sam Cassell shooting lessons.

His passing skill is absolutely amazing, however I can't believe he can hit buckets.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right now the issue isn't McHale. You put any coach on this team and they still will be about the same record.

It's easy to coach a veteran team. It's much harder to get w's from a young team. Go ask Phil Jackson. Ask him why the 1990 Bulls with MJ and Pippen only won 55 games and couldn't get past the 2nd round. I wonder how many people said he should be fired and replaced.

People are crazy. You can't blame the coach for players dumb decisions and poor execution. Until the players mature, its very hard to blame the coaching because I don't really see a problem with our plays.

McHale gives his player a lot of freedom on the court. You know what, that's brilliant. But it's not like they don't run set plays...it's just the execution is horrible. Only so much a guy standing on the sidelines can do during the game.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Not sure what you mean but I'm pretty sure we had those back then too. I specifically remember the Grizzlies , when they were really shi**y, being a hard team for the Rockets to beat. I hate OJ Mayo.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Giving players freedom is not enough. You have to provide them a system to exercise the "freedom." Freedom alone is anarchy or lazy coaching.

The thing about Adelman's offense is that it is both creative and disciplined. It is creative in that he gives the responsibility to the players to read and react on the spot. He said many times that he let the players figure it out.

But it is also disciplined in that you have to buy into the system in order to function well. You can't just play your own style. You have to be a part of a 5-man unit.

That is why it takes a while for the players to get it.

5. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I agree and strongly believe this is why Morey shouldn't go after a 3rd star, but rather build a supporting cast with smart, disciplined veteran players that are reliable and won't make careless decisions.

T. Jones and Beverley are good players but make too many mistakes. I think down the line, maybe in 3 or 4 years, I can see them playing larger roles on an elite team, especially Jones. This team right now needs a better mix of veterans and youth, which it doesn't have at the moment.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it takes a while for them to get it. And seriously, you know that it's not complete anarchy - he's obviously running plays, but he's giving the players the freedom to ad lib and adjust on the fly. I mean, you don't have as high scoring offense as the Rockets do with lazy coaching.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Rick was coach?

Some body would be traded for Kevin Martin.
    Rick's favorite.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

9. ERC

ERC Member

Agreed with the first paragraph but not the next two, especially the part about McHale being brilliant for giving his players lots of freedom. That would only make sense if we have a team of veterans players. Read-and-react requires experience, something our young team doesn't have (yet). I mean, if you know inexperienced players are prone to making dumb decisions and yet you still give them the freedom to do whatever, is it really all on the players if we lose? At the minimum, you should have a plan B to fall back on, which seemed like a foreign concept to McHale. And let's not even go into drawing up plays in clutch time...

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

So which is it...? Any coach would have the same record, so it doesn't matter... or coaching is responsible for on-court success...? Can't have it both ways...

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

Another contradiction....

People seriously take the process of emotional and mental maturation for granted... do you not see how saturated the world around us is with self-destructive, self-defeating idiocy...?

I doesn't come naturally to everyone by just the passing of time... and passing that time doing the same thing you've always done... will not somehow bring about a change in outcome...

You don't see a problem with our plays, because we only have two consistent "plays"... one is Harden isolation... the other is feed it to Howard, and hope the perimeter can get it to him without reluctance.... After the "play" you saw McHale draw up just the previous game... and his response to the media about it... you honestly believe he runs set plays...? You believe this man has a "brilliant" bone in his body...?

So, if you truly believe that... and think it's all on the players, and nothing that has to do with management's approach to that roster will make a difference no matter who's at the helm.... then be prepared to trade away al the assets we've accumulated... and start over...

Take your pick, the players, or the coach... because keeping steady to a routine of unsteadiness isn't going to right this ship...

12. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

we would finish 82-0 and sweep the playoffs

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

we would be a lottery team; just like what he's doing with minnesota.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

You're absolutely right... Bev IS our Ricky Rubio...

15. DocRock

DocRock Member

:rolleyes:

The 1990 Bulls were a 3 seed and took the Bad Boy Pistons to 7 games in the ECF. And they took the Pistons to 6 in the ECF the year before. The problem isn't that we're young, the problem is trying to beat elite defensive teams without elite ball movement, and that's on the coach.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

People complained about how rick would go with his favorites at the end of games, even if they played like dog****, now people complain that Mchale goes with the hot hand when it's not X.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Bring back Rudy-T?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Best solution ever.

DD

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Adelman > JVG > McHale