1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would our record be with Rick Adelman coaching this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RiceDaddy7, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A good example of Rick's coaching is Rafer.

Rafer was just a chucker under JVG, had to wait for Tmac or Yao to get him the ball.

Under Rick, he ran the show and was allowed to be Skip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-Kit2BcAfL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

join date 2013 you dont know rick

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. The choir on here always jumps to the T-Wolve's record as evidence which is stupid. The T-Wolves problems are bigger than that. The rockets under Adelman always had big injuries yet always managed to perform far above expectations.

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Most people on here also forget, but that year we beat Portland we lose the 3rd seed the last game of the season due to a tie-breaker with Denver. We were essentially the 3rd seed and arguably the best team in the west.

5. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

RA is proved by a big sample size.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Adelman is a good couch but so unlucky, i bit if he couched our current roster ,everyone would be injured and. We be forced to sign 10 day contract to fill up spots

Despite all McHale mistakes , i think things will get better after Allstars break

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its maybe really Adelman vs Daryl Morey, instead of vs McHale directly

I see it highly unlikely if Adelman were coach that Rockets would have their full out "3's & Paint" system now.

Perhaps it'd be for the BETTER if it WAS Adelman system instead of 3's & Paint. But the philosophy after Adelman is less McHale himself and more GM advocated. And probably a contributing reason for letting go of Adelman in the first place

Irony of that is Adelman has prefered shooters at point guard over the ball dominant point guards.

Adelman has has known differences to Jason Williams who is basically White Chocolate Skip, and with Tim Hardaway of all guards, preferring the Mike Bibby BJ Armstrong types. What remains true there is Adelman is a far better offensive coach than Van Gundy for Skip

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Great post and that is absolutely true. McHale is the scapegoat in this case tbh.

9. conquistador#11

hail to my monocle wearing fuhrer.
    made capitalists cringe,
    as he stood silent at podium.
    Arms crossed, draped in glory,
    in the form of a three button suit.
    We fought for each other,
    in victory or defeat.

godspeed, fuhrer.

(passes the bong)

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Despite their win/loss record, Wolves are a better team than the Rockets statistically. I fully predict they will squeeze in the playoffs by the end of the season.

All the telltale signs suggest we are on a sharp decline after November. We played our best basketball at the beginning of the season. Players genuinely liked each other and had great chemistry. They suppose to get better as season progresses, but we are regressing and spiraling. Most play with half interest, no heart, and no sense of urgency nor motivation.

I will say something most of us are afraid of saying; I believe McHale has lost the team. The only players who playing their hearts out mostly have their ulterior motives; they are on a min or rookie contracts. Money and staying in the league are their ultimate motivations.

Our two max stars who suppose to carry us are coasting in more games than not. Our next big contracts in Asik and Lin who are totally unmotivated of playing for this team or checked out most of games. They look like they would rather be someplace. Our gimmick offensive system is totally flawed against good defensive teams; they easily shut us down on a consistent basis. Our defense is mediocre despite having a multiple DPOYs center.

This team has all the ingredients of a cocktail molotov that is ready to go KaBOOM!

The best move Morey can make is to move McHale to FO and hire someone experienced and capable. The longer it takes, the shorter the window of opportunity for a championship run.

1 person likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

if adelman were our coach, we probably wouldnt have gotten dwight.

12. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I think Adelman was the least deserving of the criticism he got from Clutchfans. He kept those post-Yao teams relevant and winning despite no superstar or a freaking center.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont know what the record would be but I do know that this team would be a more cohesive unit and would be improving under Adelman. He wouldnt let the team just run around aimlessly and take random shots. Adelman would have actually implemented a team offense.

I loved Adelman and was sad to see the Rockets let him go.

Never cared much for McHale. I do think that he did a decent job last year with a young squad and should be given credit. However, expectations are higher now and going forward and it is clear he has major shortcomings given that the team's ultimate goal is to contend.

#33 Zboy, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not entirely true. While McHale was key in recruiting Dwight, dont forget that even without him, other positive factors that the Rockets offered Dwight would still be there ....including Adelman who is a far more accomplished coach.

Ultimately the situation with the Lakers would have still been the same, whether it was McHale or Adelman. Dwight wanted OUT.

15. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I disagree in regards to the chemistry issue. I truly believe Morey, as great a GM as he is, is letting data and analytics get in the way. McHale is a players coach and that's as far as his power goes. If the Rockets hope to contend, Morey has to let the coaches figure it out. Honestly, firing McHale would be a huge hit to the chemistry and that would hurt more than hiring someone like George Karl. Moving him to a lesser role, like you mentioned, is the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post in the thread. Rep for you. Adelman didn't utilize DM's stats philosophy and he was dismissed.
    Stats/Non Stats are important,but a coach must be able to implement his plan and philosophy from the beginning.
    McHale was a HOF player, but he is not a good coach IMO.
    No coach will want to come here, if he can't implement his own ideas and plans for the team.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Well it was more than that. The F.O did something I still consider pretty ****ty. For some reason they waited way too long to offer him an extension (considering all he had done), and then asked him to groom the next coach. You just don't do that, its completely disrespectful. "Yea, since you won't listen to us, we want you to teach our new puppet everything you know so he can replace you."

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, that is very true.

19. NickKent

NickKent Member

If I remember correctly, we were actually going to be the #2 seed if we won that last regular season game with Dallas, but fell all the way down to #5.

But we bottomline, we would actually be running an offensive system under Adelman, minus this gimmicky read-and-react garbage.

20. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I don't know Rick and I don't know if our record would be better but I am sure we wouldn't have those Epic Failure games we had to watch a dozen times already this season.