1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would Jesus say about evolution?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Two Sandwiches

From a scholarly standpoint, I'm mildly interested in historical subjects, like Anthropology, and I've been wondering for a while now: How would Jesus react to the news and discoveries of Anthropology? How would he feel about all these finds that seem to villify evolution and trace a certain root to the beginnings of man?

Thanks for the opinions.

2. Cesar^Geronimo

I think Jesus would ask why we are spending so much time debating something that isn't really relevant. Whether man was created looking like a man or evolved (with God's guidance) from a single cell would in no way change the force or meaning of his message.

3. Two Sandwiches

In my opinion, it could of would change the message....

Basically, evolution, in a way, challenges the very basis of the religion....

4. Two Sandwiches

I'm stupid.

5. Cesar^Geronimo

I'm not sure how it changes the very basis of the religion.

If you are saying that evolution excludes the possibility of the hand of God on the process then you are right, but I can't think of (though I don't have them all memorized) anything that Jesus said that would be invalidated by the fact that God had his hands on the creation, growth and change of life.

Personally, I don't think alot about evolution vs creationsim because my faith is not based upon that. The actual physical process of how God created life is not really important to me -- the fact that He did is important.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

this drives me crazy how people confuse evolution with the theory of man evolving from apes. there is a significant difference....you guys know that right?

evolution is white bunnies surviving better than black bunnies in snowy conditions because they blend in better. then those white bunnies reproduce more and more white bunnies show up. now you have evolved bunnies. evolution doesn't mean magically developing ESP and mega strength.

7. Two Sandwiches

Are you just saying that it's a pet peeve of yours, or are you implying that someone didn't know that? I'm stuck trying to tell which. :)

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol sorry i just hate when conversations about evolution get warped into man evolving from apes...then it becomes people talking about evolution in magical terms.

there are lots of things that can fundamentally change religion, but i think the idea of life being better adapted to live under certain circumstances and climates doesn't bring down christianity.

9. vwiggin

vwiggin Member

Evolution is the tool of the Devil!

[​IMG]

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Would it change the Story of the Fall in the Garden of Eden? If it wasn't for that, Christians etc wouldn't need Jesus.

So I think it's a good question, and I don't know what he would say.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Evolution and Christianity has never been a conflict for me. I strongly believe in evolution, and think it is an extremely sound theory that explains the changes in different species. I believe God created the universe, and evolution is one of his tools that he uses to move along his creation. Scientists are simply studying and explaining the mechanics of a clock that was created by someone else. As for the we come from apes thing, I don't buy into that part. Until there is DNA evidence, or they finally find the "missing link" (really, we can find dinosaur bones buried how many feet, and we can't find this supposed missing link?), I don't think I'll dwell too much on it.

12. Two Sandwiches

Thanks for not being offended and answering seriously.

13. rhester

rhester Member

Jesus made several comments about evolution- you don't need to wonder about it, just read what He said; here is one example...

From the beginning of creation God created them male and female. Mark 10:6

OK let's look at what Jesus said.

1. beginning of creation
    2. God created man, male and female (check the context of the statement)

He then went on to directly quote Genesis 2:24 to validate He was speaking of the creation story.

Jesus either is a liar, a lunatic or the Lord God as He claimed.

How many vote -

1. Liar
    2. Lunatic
    3. Lord

Should have made a poll.

14. hotballa

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

15. MR. MEOWGI

He is saying:

creation story > evolution and science. Jesus said so.

16. MR. MEOWGI

Your poll is flawed. There are other options.

17. hotballa

ok well in that case, please refer to my earlier post:

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Wouldn't Jesus' whole "the meek shall inherit the earth" run counterintuitive to the principles of evolution?

19. rhester

rhester Member

base the poll on His own claims about himself and it the options are clear

20. hotballa

thats for after they die. evolution has no application in the afterlife.