1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Would Hurt More to Rockets Fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Feb 12, 2013.

?

It would suck more if he misses..

1. I don't care about the All-Star game, i would rather see him suit up vs GS and LAC

112 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. I want to see him play in his first All-Star game in Houston

87 vote(s)
    43.7%
  1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Just curious to see what would be more depressing for Rockets fans, James Harden not playing in the next two games (versus GS and/or LAC) or missing his first All-Star game in Houston.

Of course regular season games are far more important than an All-Star game but honestly though, as a Rockets fan, would you really rather not have him play in his All-Star game debut in our hometown for a couple of season games?

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Why can't you have both?

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Because that's a no-brainer?

4. JamesBearden13

Plays Golden State game and win by 50.

Sit Clippers game (probably loss with or without Harden) because of injury.

Plays in AllStar game to recruit superstar assets to h-town.

1 person likes this.
  5. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Clinch that playoff spot more important

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Depends. Are we talking about fans of real basketball or stupid fans?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Harden could miss 17 pointless exhibition games and it wouldn't matter as much as one regular season game in a year the team is trying to make the playoffs.

8. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

This.
    But if it has to be ASG or both reg games.. I'd take the ASG.

He gets to showcase the Rockets in their hometown, if used as an advertising opportunity it can have much more significant implications for the organization further down the track (whether that is superstar recruitment or national recognition)

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I agree, clinching a playoff spot is far more important but you also have to weigh in the following factors..

- Back to back road games @GS and @LAC are tough to win as it is
    - James Harden's health (an extra few days would be good for his knee)

What if he plays hurt and we still end up losing both games (which is not far-fetched since these are back to back road games against really good playoff teams) and ends up missing the All-Star game altogether?

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

All-Star appearance is more important. Being in Houston, and the fact that we need another star player, it's important that we show off our top 5 player to the NBA and its best players. The rest of the team (especially Lin) might benefit from playing without Harden for a couple of competitive games, both to see what they're capable of and to increase their trade value by getting to play with greater responsibilities. We're not winning a championship this season anyways. Slightly lower chance of making playoffs, imo, is not as important in the big picture as having the best chance to win the whole thing with All-Star representative.

1 person likes this.
  11. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Ouch, this is a tough one...

In the short term I want Harden in the All-star game. I think it's a huge boost to the Rockets to have other players see Harden featured in the All-Star game. It could have long-term benefits in the off-season with big-time players. Harden would be interacting with a lot of potential stars and this year the All-Star game is more than just that, it's also a propaganda tool (and the Rockets have not been shy about making that clear) to other All-Stars.

In the long-term this season, missing Harden for two games could have huge repercussions if the Rockets lose both of them and then fail to make the playoffs.

Hopefully, he can play in the next two games and the All-Star game. Or play in the next two games and attend the All-Star game without playing too many minutes.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how one exhibition game could possibly be as important as a real game.

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Like most of you, i'm praying he doesn't miss the game in Golden State. Missing the game in LA is fine. Question is, how serious is his injury? Day to day injuries can be tricky. Could be one day, could be 7 or more. Best case, he plays and we win against the Warriors and be healthy enough to play in the All-Star game. I don't think it'd be wise to play him on a back to back with an injury.

I know All-Star games don't mean anything but i gotta be honest, it would really suck if Harden misses that game. Call me a stupid fan for being truthful Carl Herrera, but that's really how i would feel.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get wanting to see Harden in the ASG, but the FA argument is ridiculous. If a FA wants to come play in Houston it will be because we can throw giant bags of cash at them to come play on one of the most talented young teams in the league with arguably the best SG in the NBA who is only 23. It'll have nothing to do with one exhibition game.

1 person likes this.
  15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

James Harden becoming an All-Star for the first time in his career and playing in front of the Rockets home crowd means something to most fans, stupid or not, Carl Herrera.

I know it's difficult to sacrifice 1 or 2 regular season games especially when we're battling for a playoff spot but saying we are stupid because his All-Star game appearance also means something to us is uncalled for.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

THIS. Players already know what Harden can do, seeing him play at the All-Star game isn't going to be the factor in getting FAs here.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Harden won't miss the All Star games. Worst thing that would happen is that he is on a minutes watch. I would rather Harden just rest & be healthy, if he has to miss GSW, LAC & the ASG so be it.

But if I had to pick between the two I would rather be in a better position to win meaningful games that could help our play off chances over being a part of the all star competition.

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Just seems like a very unlikely scenario where Harden has to choose one. If he's healthy enough, play, if not rest up.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Good post. Now why can't some people just explain their vote instead of insulting other people's opinions? :)

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If he chooses to suit up vs GS, he could be playing hurt and a risk of aggravating his injury. If he chooses to skip both GS and LAC back to backs, he'd have around 5 extra days off to rest his knee before the All-Star game and the remaining 27 games of the regular season.