1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would happen if DMO gets 21 postups shots a game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amazingskills, Dec 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Please use your imagination and basketball knowledge to explain what would happen and how our offense would look like?

I personaly think he would become at least MIP if not all star....

Are we hiding DMO from potential suitors in upcoming trade or there are other dynamics at work...

thnx to all contributors in advance

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he seems to naturally become passive when playing with someone like dwight

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, no. As DMo got more opportunities, defenses would focus on him more and then his efficiency would likely diminish. Plus, post ups really aren't our offense. Love DMos growth this year though.

4. w00t

w00t Member

He needs to get traded to PHX to find out :)

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It would slightly better than posting up Scola every time.

6. fattz

fattz Member

Or does what he is told (aka coachable). I am glad DMo plays with in a system. If Smith could he would still be in Detroit.

7. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

ScoLandry postups were awesome. I remember that one season when Landry was one of the Top 5 Scorers in the 4th or so. Amazing.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed they were solid but not championship material

9. PeppermintCandy

Didn't look like half of Josh Smith's 21 shots came from posting him up either.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

The same thing that would happen if we actually played Isaiah Canaan and he got 21 shots? Canaan may be the 2nd best pure scorer on this team and he doesn't even get to play.

The problem here is D. Mo doesn't often create shots for himself in the triple threat from the perimeter where he can aggressively attack like Smith and Jones so he is mostly reliant on other people to pass him the ball in the post which they seem very reluctant to do most of the time for various reasons even though he has proven to be very reliable down there. The majority of the action and ball movement in the Rockets' offense takes place out on the perimeter where he is primarily just a screener, passer, or spot up in the corner guy. It is going to be up to D. Mo to aggressively demand the ball and the coaches to let the other guys know to pass it to him when he has good position.

Not posting D. Mo is a waste and doesn't play to his strengths at all. They need to find some balance because D. Mo's post ups add another dimension to the offense. There is no reason they can't get him at least a handful of touches down there each game. Those are high percentage shots and we don't even got to it. Makes no sense. This gives the guys on the perimeter a few possessions where they don't have to exert as much energy and could eventually result in wide open spot up shots if D. Mo can get it going.

The way we play offense with Harden and Howard seems to favor guys at the 4 like Smith and Jones that don't need plays run for them in order to get buckets by getting out in transition, getting offensive boards, and cleaning up with garbage points by cutting and being available around the basket. I do however believe in this case that an exception should be made a handful of times each game.

#10 vator, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  11. bmd

bmd Member

It didn't seem like Smith took 21 shots for some reason..

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I don't know what OP's agenda is.

We just beat a fully-rested Grizzlies team in their house in OT, and you're concerned with DMo's touches. We won!

We should all unite behind the only goal which is a championship run. All other agendas should give way. Let's support whoever is playing well. The others will get their chances and have to show something for it.

13. Aleron

it's probably because they were replacing dwight post ups, lol

14. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

He'd get buried on the bench....

Look celebrate a good win. We didn't play "well" and we came away with a victory from maybe the best team at this point in the NBA on the road. Memphis played well. We saw their best and came away with a win. There are still things to work on but in my opinion it's time to see what we got. Let's get to the deadline then re-evaluate. This is probably the best team I can remember since the championship teams in the 90's. By far the deepest. I think we are set. If Beverly can keep shooting the 3 ball consistently this team is golden.

15. Aleron

This team never tells anyone to play passively, if they do, it's of their own volition

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's his own fault. He has been soft lately, and part of being a great post player is demanding the ball on the block and getting yourself going in the game. I have been very dissappointed with his blending mentality as of late. He is too good a post up player to not get in there and demand the ball.

17. roidrage

roidrage Member

His agenda is telling people Dmo is better than Smith....they are entirely different players....having said that DMO will be fine he is our back up big...Dwight always gets in foul trouble...ps original poster anybody in no a management would rather have Josh Smith than Dmo! SMITH IS A BETTER PLAYER RIGHT NOW GET OVER YOUR MAN CRUSH

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The love affair with DMO "the 13 good games legend" is almost getting to the point of being comical now. He's totally turned things around with his recent play but calling him a potential all star or untradeable ect. is stretching it. Its amazing at how much value home teams fans place on some of the players they support.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

One of the best things I see in the box score is that Dwight only got 29 minutes, Dmo got 31, and Josh got 32, with an additional 10 for Dorsey. That distribution of minutes is going to keep these guys fresher for the long run. I think all three seemed to mesh well in the different combinations on the floor despite the lack of real practice time.

20. kevtse

kevtse Member

I don't care how many times we post Dmo up, but I think we should just stop feeding Dwight on the post, not even once in a game. He is just not good in the post. There is about 50% chance he can't even make an attempt before someone make a steal or he just turn it over. He has no touch to finish around the basket but the only good thing is he gets fouled a lot, but too bad he only make half of those free throws.