1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be your QB plan recommendation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jayded, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Whoa there tiger - Im not giving anyone a boost. I've already made it clear many times that I would avoid QB with the first pick at all costs. These are just clips from other perspectives that dont have battle red blinders on.

raining threes, Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. raining threes

Notice how 3 maybe 4 QB's come from one draft? I'm not sure which draft LJ was in.

You wait until a QB rich draft to pick your QB. You dont waste high picks on the extremely flawed QB's in this draft.

3. raining threes

^^^^
    This

Also I will add trade back into the bottom of the 1st for Hooker so that you can get the 5th yr option. Pick Hyatt at 1-12 so Hooker has a guy he's used to throwing to at his disposal. Also a Vet QB needs to be brought in so Hooker has a chance to get fully healthy before he starts playing. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Hooker sat his rookie yr.

4. raining threes

There's a reason small QB's dont get picked.

The percentage you're referring to is 0 %

5. raining threes

None of this matters if he cant stay healthy.

It's his height and his frame. He's very slight of frame, Did you listen to Bruschi a couple of posts up from this post?

6. raining threes

Levis is very accurate.

His problem is decision making and this issue comes from getting the crap beat out of him behind a poor OL. I dont know that this flaw can be overcome. He looks gun shy to me. So I would pass on Levis.

Young is much smaller in all respects than Montana and Montana played 30 years ago.

7. raining threes

Look at the teams in the AFCCG, NFCCG, SB for your answer.

Those are the offenses that win, not the gimmicky offenses LJ, Fields run.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What I like most about Levis is that he won't be picked at #2.

T_Man likes this.
  9. raining threes

Hope you're right.

However he's got just as good of a chance to be successful as any QB in this draft.

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I just think every player has injury risk and trying to project that in the NFL is a very inexact science. I'd rather pick the player you think has a very high chance of being successful, how much of a health premium does Levis deserve if there's a much smaller chance he's any good as a starting NFL QB? I understand the frame and durability concerns for sure, but I think an overlooked part of the equation is player's ability to absorb and avoid hard contact. Bryce Young has elite awareness and is extremely shifty - from his tape he doesn't seem to take many hard hits. I think I'm ok with that risk but obviously I'm not the one getting paid to make that call. And as others have pointed out, the league has and will continue to move in the direction of protecting QB's at all costs.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What are you talking about?

I feel like of the QBs under 6' that are good enough to get drafted, they also have worked in the league. Have there been many? No. But that’s not 0 and the percentage of working out is better.

Quick google search tells me there have been 8 QBs under 6 foot. If we just go from 1980-present, we have:

Senaca Wallace
    Russ Wilson
    Kyler Murray
    Doug Flutie

Others older than 1980:

Eddie Labaron - ROY, 4 time pro bowler 1950s
    Davey Obrien - Literally the trophy for best QB is named after him, 1930's
    Sonny Juergenson - 1960s, NFL champ, 4 time all pro, 5 time pro bowl
    Pat Haden - 1970's, 1 time pro bowl

I would argue maybe 1 or 2 out of 8 (Wallace and Haden) have not done that well? so 75% success rate. Vs QB's over 6ft where you cant even find 75% of the last 4 drafts being that good.

Like I said.. anyone can manipulate percentages to fit their agenda.. but 0% is just a dumb and lazy retort.

Sooty, cbass and Fulgore like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I see a lot of people coming around to the reality of this being a weak QB class. I'm starting to see many now looking to go defense with that #2 pick. I'll give it another week or two for everyone to start realizing that Justin Fields is the better option over any QB being mentioned in the draft or FA.

ApolloRLB likes this.
  13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Wait now you have lost me.... Because I was asking about Pro Style Offense....

So back in the day.. Colleges that had a running QB or ran the wishbone was usually considered a non-pro style offense....
    Also a Pro Style QB was one that stayed in the pocket and not one that was very mobile... Mainly this was due to this (Don't beat me up for this) White QB's stayed in the pocket and Black QB's would move out of the pocket are use their legs....

So in the AFC-CG you had Chiefs vs Bengals... Bengals have Burrow and Chiefs have Mahomes... In years past Burrow would be considered the Pro-Style QB The same goes with Eagles and 49ers Brock Purdy would have been considered more of a pro style QB and philly doesn't run what would be considered as a pro-style offense.

But see all of this has changed... I don't think there really is a definition of a typical pro-style offense or QB these days... Where in the past a running QB would have been considered a curse, it's now considered a blessing.

My take on the Texans and their QB situation is we have to get a qb that fits the OC game plan... That could be getting a veteran or a rookie.

T_Man

red5rocket, raining threes and Sooty like this.
  14. raining threes

All QB's have to have some movement skills. Even Brady had some movement skills.

I'm talking about run at 1st sight of trouble QB's like Fields, LJ. Versus a WCO that the QB's got to have movement skills but runs as a last resort.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Use #12 on a QB in some way (trade for Fields/Lance/etc.; draft Levis/Richardson) Get a weapon or protection for them at 32.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Draft Richardson and the best running back/WR available and let’s go.

jch1911 likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think this is likely, which means the Texans go defense at 2.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Post combine plan would be 1) BY 2) Levis 3) Garoppolo 4) Mills 5) Stroud.

raining threes likes this.
  20. Jayded

Jayded Member

I really hope if we go QB at 1.02, we need to throw that QB to the lions and see what we have. Next year is a stronger QB class, so if we draft a QB we need to know quickly.

I really don’t understand the FA QB route of Jimmy G or Carr or others. This team has too many holes to get a QB who’ll take us to 7-9 wins and picking in the teens in purgatory. This is a multi-year turnaround, which is why it’s not time to force it.

I’m growing day over day in favor of defense at 2 and then either draft one of the project sliders (Levis or Richardson) if they fall and otherwise picking later for someone like Hooker, Tune, or DTR. Maybe, MAYBE trade up a bit to 10-11 if Levis or Richardson start sliding if you believe in the clay to be molded.

There are too many questions with all of the QBs this year to draft one of them at 1.02 in my opinion. It’s too high to be gambling so I hope they go Anderson if he’s there and especially so if someone jumps to 1.01 and takes Young.

raining threes likes this.