1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be tougher to swallow....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glyde22, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

us not making the playoffs or Seattle getting there instead of us?
    Hate the T'wolves and Sonics all you want but they are doing what it takes to win right now. We have had our chances. I'm not saying we' re dead but if we go down its our own fault.

------------------

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Seattle deserves it more than the Rockets do. I hope they do make it. They know how to play when it comes down to crunch time in the season. They have won 10 of 11, while the Rockets have lost 5 of 7.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. pooh222

pooh222 Member

That would be a shame if the Sonics ended up making the playoffs ahead of the Rockets. The Sonics looked dead a few weeks ago. Just shows you the big wasted opportunity on the Rockets part. The Sonics climbing over the Rockets to make the playoffs would make the Rockets current collapse look even worse.

------------------

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I would love for the young members of the team to feel embarassed over this end to the season. I put most of the blame on Francis and Mobley. They just haven't stepped up when they have needed to. I hope they are ashamed of this collapse. Hopefully that will teach them something.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

5. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

What this team lacks is a tough personality. We had it in Chuck and Mario, someone to get vocal with the guys and keep their heads in it. Dream has never been that type of leader. We could also use a homicidal maniac up front, a Rick Mahorn type good for at least one flagrant foul a month. Someone more physical than the cream puffs we have now(Dream excluded).

------------------

6. Jim1965

Jim1965 Member

Now I agree with that 100%!!!! I hope Steve, Cat, KT, and the rest of the young guys work their tails off this offseason. They should be embarrassed. They make too much money and have too much talent to fade like this.

------------------
    Bob Rainey is my hero!

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What were they doing the rest of the season?

------------------
    "I hate being in the lottery as much as the next guy, but come on people, that's where we need to be right now. We still don't have all of the pieces" -- Gascon, in conjunction with Clutch's Lottery Generator, has fired the starter's pistol on this season's lottery race. Let the tanking begin!

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Playing like trash. But, they have stepped up at the right time, and the Rockets have
    "stepped down" at the wrong time.

------------------

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you play like trash at the beginning of the season and put yourself in a position to possibly not control your destiny at the end of the season, you're no better than a team that "chokes" at the end of the season.

Houston's play sucked.
    Seattles play sucked.

I know you have your mood swings, but at least be objective.

------------------
    "I hate being in the lottery as much as the next guy, but come on people, that's where we need to be right now. We still don't have all of the pieces" -- Gascon, in conjunction with Clutch's Lottery Generator, has fired the starter's pistol on this season's lottery race. Let the tanking begin!

10. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Why should they be ashamed? Dissapointed, yes, but ashamed? That sounds a little harsh to me, as if you're implying their the sole reason for these recent losses.

------------------

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Any team that talks trash all season about being a playoff team should not go into games against bad teams with their noses turned up. They have hyped themselves up all season, and have been burned for it. They have not been "humble". I would be ashamed if I was on a playoff caliber team that lost to 8 sub-par teams.

------------------

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But 7 teams was ok, right? I mean you were positive after we had lost to 7 of those teams. So is 8 your magic number for being "ashamed"? What will tomorrow bring?

There's a difference between talking "trash" and saying you're going to get to the playoffs... the latter is a confidence builder, not bravado, no matter how much you may want to skew it to fit your warped sense of "fandom".

------------------

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The difference is that the Rockets still had a chance until the 8th loss. They had a great chance until this loss. Now they would have to go 8-0 against 8 difficult teams. That isn't going to happen. Those losses would be excusable if the Rockets were not 3-17 against the best of the west, but they aren't.

And saying stuff like: "We would be the number one seed in the east", or "Minnesota and Phoenix better watch out" IS trash talking.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited April 01, 2001).]

14. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

How is stating the obvious trashtalking?

------------------

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You're making the same mistake I keep making and just did again... I keep taking the guy and his opinions seriously. He changes his opinion after every win or loss. It doesn't matter. He'll bounce back on the bandwagon when we're winning... jump off when we're losing...

------------------

16. Band Geek Mobster

I will never try to discuss anything with ZRB and I will ignore all of the "realistic" bs he types. Get some medication dude.

------------------

17. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Disagree with me, fine. This loss was just the breaking point. They should have learned by now, but haven't. Hopefully that will change next year. If they respect their competition next season, they will be okay.

------------------

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If we don't make it next year then my Rocket support will be in the air because this is starting to get ridiculous.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

"Teams that make the playoffs win big games," Rockets forward Matt Bullard said. "Minnesota went to Portland and won. We came in here and didn't win. Maybe we don't deserve to make the playoffs if we can't win games like this."

Looks like even Matt agrees with me.

------------------

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not the message, it's the messenger. Don't you understand yet? [​IMG]

------------------