1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be the 1990s version of the Warriors super team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What does a anti-MJ/Bulls super team look like?

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is a really interesting question when you look think about it for a minute.

The 90's team has to have
    • 2 top 7 ish players
    • 3rd guy in the top 15-20
    • 4th guy still in the top 30
    And frankly I might be underestimating.

From an advances statistical perspective we can use win shares . Gs has two guys that ( when not on the same team ) have win shares of 15 + and then another two guys from 9-11ish.

This becomes an issue in the 90's because so many of the best players were bigs. Given the style today its OK to play small because of skill, but playing two bigs who cant shoot is hard. The top 5 players of the 90's if you take out Jordan and Pippen ( which I believe the question is asking for ) we are left with who ? Shaq, Hakeem , Robinson, Barkley ?? ( of course I'm not going to count any Utah players ). plus how do I control for differences across the decade and decline etc... I'll fix that issue by using primes.

So we will make the stretch that hakeem and shaq can play together
    now lets add a couple more top 25 guys and then one below average starter.

lets say we get reggie miller ( top 15 player of the 90's ?)
    and gary payton ( top 25-30 guy ? )

alright so we

Shaq
    hakeem
    miller
    x
    payton

who is a slightly below average starting 2 guard during the 90's ? Statistically ( and yall will kill me for this ) Vernon Maxwell ? I love max for what he did in big games , but overall during the regular season he was streaky as **** offensively which leads to low career VORPs. Still, just like the worst starter on GS he brings a plus on the defensive end.

Still GS has a bench and I'm not gonna do the 90's version of the whole thing... but they do have Igoudala who is a top 50 nba player.. so we should still add one more top 50 1990s guy to the squad. Who do yall like ? from a statistical standpoint.. OT works

so our team 6 men strong is

Shaq
    Hakeem/OT
    Reggie
    Maxwell
    Payton

plus then you add a few more bench guys... Livingston is pretty solid and would need a serviceable player in his spot.

That team is insane and was probably the best I could do given the relative position constraints. I think they destroy GS if allowed to play physically, but if not, GS definitely has a chance to bomb them out with 3's. JUst goes to show you how stacked GS is right now

gotsis, rm365, da_juice and 3 others like this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Great post. I don't know who would win either. Payton and Maxwell would be covering Curry and Durant. Shaq would maul Zaza. Hakeem could also focus on defense even more and could shift to center when Shaq went to the bench and also in crunch time because he couldn't make a FT. Add on the fact that Reggie Miller would be sitting there hitting 3's to open up the game for Payton, Hakeem, and Shaq.

Great thread also.

4. Mr. Space City

it's tough because there wasn't a lot of great perimeter talent in the 90's.

Gary Payton
    Reggie Miller
    (Pre-Injury) Grant HIll
    Hakeem Olajuwon

?

#4 Mr. Space City, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Stockton (Curry)
    Ray Allen (Klay - elite shooter)
    Kendell Gill (Does his role, zaza)
    Rodman (Draymond)
    Hakeem (Durant - post play dominated then...now it is perimeter....efficient scorer

Iggy - vernon maxwell

Stackhouse, Hill, and Penny can all replace Draymond or Klay....Miller can replace Curry

6. BackdoorHarden

Kendall Gill? LOL. ROFL How about a little Johny Gill

you got me say my my my
    \

SamFisher likes this.
  7. FearTheBeardJH

Probably Utah Jazz plus Robinson or Shaq. They were favored in 1998 anyway.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know, but put Glen Rice on my Warriors clone.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It's hard to make a team stylistically similar to the Warriors but talent-wise, it would be like adding Hakeem to the Jazz or adding early 90's Clyde and David Robinson to the championship Rockets.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Barkley moving to a 53-win Suns team was kind of a super team with him, KJ, Majerle, etc. KJ was an elite PG and Thunder Dan was kind of a proto-Klay. But Durant was moving to a 73-win team.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I would put Robinson instead of Shaq. Robinson was just a dominant as Shaq in the 90's and he's proven he can play twin towers.

Caesar likes this.
  12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

A scorer, like a Nique, Hill (pre-injury), or Mitch Richmond being added to a team like the mid-90s Supersonics.

C- Perkins/Johnson
    PF-Kemp
    SF - Schrempf (Nique or Grant Hill)
    SG - Hawkins (or Richmond)
    PG - Payton

But, if we are talking stylistically like the Warriors, I'd guess Richmond or Reggie Miller. Moreso, RIchmond because he not only could shoot 3s, he was good defender and great playmaker. Oddly enough, he played on a offensive juggernaut team in GS with Chris Mullen and Tim Hardaway

Caesar likes this.
  13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

HAKEEM on the Bulls.

Phillyrocket and plutoblue11 like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Oh lord. That was the Bulls singular weakness (at Center) I think it would be highly probable that they would beat the Warriors.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

PG: Abdul-Rauf or Mark Price
    SG: Mitch Richmond or Allan Houston or Glen Rice at 3 with Miller at 2 or Drazen Petrovic
    SF: Reggie Miller or Mullin
    PF: Rodman or Larry Johnson or Anthony Mason
    C: Longley

That is to say the Warriors wouldn't be as good as they are if they played in the 90s but def. still a contender. The difference is Durant. There's no one quite like him in the history of the league. You'd have to go Bird i guess, but Bird is a better passer and rebounder while Durant is a better all around scorer and more athletic and longer.

#15 Caesar, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

ahhhh..the question is creating a team as equal to the Warriors in terms of talent relevant to the rest of the league. I thought the question was creating a similar team with 90s players that had the same skill sets as the Warriors players do.

In that case, you'd have a totally different team but:

Gary Payton or Penny pre injury
    Reggie Miller
    Scottie Pippen or Grant Hill pre Injury
    Rodman
    Longley(my default ZaZa or Bogut)

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

****, my team is still thinking in terms of matching positions instead of overall talent rank lol

Safe to say Durant #2 best and Curry #3 best and Klay and Dray top 20 players, so then

MJ #1 just like LeBron #1 so can't use MJ:

Okay. It's too hard. Hakeem, Malone, Barkley, Robinson, Shaq and Ewing and Pippen all have their case for being top 3 players in any given season during the 90s and since Hakeem was the best player on the planet while MJ was retired, he'd be the LeBron in this scenario so you have to go specific year:

'94 Shaq (#3 behind Hakeem and Robinson)
    '93 Barkley (#2 behind Jordan)
    '96 M. Richmond (outer top 20 3 and D)
    Larry Johnson (top 20 all around)

#17 Caesar, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

mark price
    hornacek
    detlef shrimp
    kirilenko
    sabonis

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

With the 90's set of rules, I believe all the teams listed would beat the whoreirrors.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Without using MJ #1 in the league goat similar to LeBron. Fielding a team with 4 stars and a below average/average starter from the 90s without using the j*zz to battle the warriors?

Payton (curry)
    Reggie (klay)
    Pippen (durant)
    Tracy Murray (zaza)
    Hakeem (draymond)

I'd take the 90s team in either decade rules