1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be considered failure for the Rockets in 2013-14?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sleepyazn, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I think not getting out of the first round would be the biggest disappointment. We can all wish and hope for a Finals appearance and hopeful win, but getting into the second round given the major addition we made, plus the natural growth of our young core and the free agency signings of supplementary pieces that seem to fit well with the starting core and immense talent our 1st team will run out on the floor.

Anything less than a 6-7 game second round series loss would be a massive disappointment and might push Les and Morey to drive waayyyyy into luxury tax territory to add some more top of the line talent or a 3rd max player and additional pieces in order to try to improve Houston's chance at a Finals appearance the following year.

2. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

At least 4th seed and play in wcf

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Playoffs are a must and if we don't get past the 1st round it's a disappointing season. I'm inclined to think we'll start the season pretty slowly but once Dwight adjusts to the new system we'll finish the second half of the pretty strongly.

So in essence anything short of a 1st round win is a disappointment.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Enjoying the ride with no high expectations in the first year.
    Will know where this team stands

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Much to sane of an approach.

6. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

I h8 to say it, but you're getting yourself set up for disappointment pretty good.

7. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Giving a good competitive series in at least the 2nd round.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Miss the playoffs = F
    A bad first round showing = D
    A good 1st round showing = C-
    A good 2nd round showing = B-
    A good WCF showing A-
    A finals appearance A
    A finals win A+

9. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

You are all saying ridiculous expectations without really considering all the competitions the West have. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we are 8th seed again considering our chemistry and experience.

10. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Wait what? I think if Westbrook was there the first time (for all the games), it wouldn't have gone to six. Who knows though, maybe we would have won game 3 instead of losing it. It is all up in the air but I think it would have been over in 5 if that was the case.

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Before last season, we were predicted to finish near the bottom of the Western Conference.

We finished 8th, lost in the first round....and it was considered a huge success!

I think this proves that what is considered a successful season depends a lot on what the expectations are before the season.

I remember Morey said on PTI that his goals for this season were to have home court advantage in the first round (at least 1-4 seed), and make it to the Western Conference finals. Pretty lofty goals, but not beyond what we should be capable of. If we only made it to the second round, would that be a failure? Maybe not...but even that would be disappointing since we wouldn't have reached the preseason goals.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

A failure is anything less than a Game 7 in the second round. Once in the WCF, they better win at least two games. A five game WCF will feel terrible imo.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

It will be a failure season if they lose in the first round of the playoffs. Or if they end up 5 seed or lower and then lose in the first round.

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Losing in the first round should also be an F.

15. Rockets123645

Rockets123645 Member

Harden ISO ball making us first round exit again.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

A good contest in the second round would satisfy me.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

I expect a fourth seed or higher if we stay relatively healthy. I also expect a trip to the WCF. Anything less and I will be disappointed.

18. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Fail - Not winning all 98 games.

19. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

i laugh at threads like this cause last year around this time more than 3/4 of ya'll wanted to tank and draft Zeller lol....BANDWAGON FANS!!!! I can say that cause I remember stating on Matt Thomas show when they was having the Rockets media day and said they will go 50-32 and got mood music...:grin::grin::grin::grin:

20. bmd

bmd Member

I have no idea.

I'm sure there will be plenty of kinks to work out with how the team is going to function with both Howard and Asik. Who will play the PF position?

There will be a lot of feeling out to see who fits best where and how the offense is going to work now that Howard is at the 5.

This team has the POTENTIAL to be great... but who knows how long it will take for them to get things running smooth. Because there will be kinks which will add losses.

So, I would expect for this team to make it to the second round of the playoffs.

Nobody on this team played together before last year, and they still made it to the first round and won two games as an 8th seed.

Considering the majority of this team has a season under their belt, they should improve even with the added uncertainty of Howard, Casspi, Williams, etc.

I'd say 2nd round is about right. But wouldn't be surprised if it is less or more than that.

But not making the playoffs would be unacceptable with this group.

Since I'm not expecting huge things, I'm just going to enjoy it.