1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Would Adelman do with this Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 11, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I am going to admit this is a knee jerk thread but so is most of the GARM.

I was listening to KFAN Minnesota Sports Talk Radio and they were talking about which teams in the West they think right now are better than the T-Wolves. They came up with GS Warriors, Spurs and Clippers. No mention of Rockets.

Given how they have just pasted the Lakers at LA and dominated OKC they definitely seem like a team on the rise and the biggest factor I can see for that is the coaching of Rick Adelman.

Given that Adelman not that long ago was wondering how this current team might do if ruler Rick was still coaching us and McHale was back in MN.

Looking at how the team is made up Chandler Parsons seems like he would fit into Adelman's system. A forward who runs the court and shoot wells from outside. Harden could probably do well in Adelman system but not sure how he would handle all the ball movement and motion. Lin's strength is primarily in drive and kick and might not do so well with the motion Adelman offense but Adelman has been able to get some success out of players like that. I am guessing Howard would have the hardest adjustment but Adelman was able to get a lot of production out of Yao and Pekovic. Those two players were offensively flexible than Howard.

What to other Clutchfans think?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Adelman would win games, of course. So will McHale with this roster. It's early, people. Give them time to jell.

3. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Adelman (and JVG for that matter) won't be losing the games that we should be winning, that's for sure.....

Or screw up the lineup......

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Adelman would be killing it with this roster. Misconception about Adelman that he can only work with players who fit a shooter system. He makes adjustments to his talent.

I would LOVE to have Adelman on this team still.

None of that is meant to be a knock on McHale. He may still turn out to be able to make it work with this roster. However, McHale is a believer in the freedom offense. I have never believed in that style and I think it is proven time and time again not to work.

5. VBG

VBG Member

I think we would run a better offense. We definitely would not use the twin towers lineup. Adelman usually has had bigs who can pass the ball or are threats from beyond 5 feet. He would have to adjust his system.

Adelman has shown flexibility in opening his system for Rubio. I do think James Harden in a motion offense would be absolutely insane. Harden catching the ball on the move or with space is basically unguardable.

6. PatBeverleyFan

Suck..............

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

McHale has never won anywhere. Comparing him to Adelman of JVG is ridiculous at best. Of course those two would do better.

Question isn't that. The question is can McHale become the next Adelman or JVG? I think the answer is yet - but he is not there for sure.

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

DMO or TJones would be starting if Adelman was coaching

9. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I just know that if Adelman can get the Wolves a top 4 seed in the West with his squad, he deserves to be a candidate for COY. Come on, a top 4 seed with Love, Martin, and freaking Rubio who can't even shoot. That's impressive.

I'm not nostalgic for any former Rockets' coach to return but I do like to see them do well and Adelman is on a good track.

10. count_dough-ku

They'd be playing a lot better than this if that's what you're asking. But what I don't get is that McHale did just fine coaching this team offensively a year ago.

I really think if he'd just mothball this stupid Twin Towers experiment, that alone would cure a ton of problems this team is having. They wouldn't have to exert so much energy digging out of double digit holes, their players would be less banged up, and they would have larger leads that would make it tougher for good teams like the Clippers to come back.

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

Adelman would actually give his rookies or young players playing time if they earned it, unlike Mchale.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

People said he wouldn't play rookies or young players when he was the coach here.

Typically fans of a young player that hasn't actually earned it tend to think the coach doesn't play them out of spite.

Edit: That is to say, fans tend to have a different opinion of what it means to "earn" playing time than a coach does.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The exact same thing as McFail. Misuse the talent.

14. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

We give McHale too much credit for last year's success. Maybe we're overlooking it because Harden's been hurt and playing poorly to start this season, but he really was the talent that drove last year's winning record. We won more because of Harden's talent than McHale's coaching.

Ironically, now that we have 2 top 10 players, it really is on McHale to make it work because we can't just throw it all on Harden, we have to account for Dwight also, and so far McHale's results on this have been meh.

15. bmd

bmd Member

All he does is win win win no matter what
    Got money on his mind he can't never get enough
    And every time he steps into the building
    Everybody hands go up!
    And they stay there. And they stay there.
    And they stay there. Up down up down up down
    Cause all he does is WIN, WIN, WIN
    And if you goin' in put your hands in the air, make 'em stay there!

16. Play07

Play07 Member

knew this thread was coming, sooner or later.

what I think is, Adelman would have won 5 more games than mchale did last year, that would be 50

after adding a strech 4 to last years roster, the team would win 55 wins this season.

rubio as ball handler, martin catch and shoot %, love knocking down shots, brewer running the floor 3s and defense, pec doing the dirty work and protecting the rim, jj barea as 6th man

That team Is arugably a poor mans rockets team from last year (lin, harden, parsons, PF, asik, bev, garcia, brooks, (casspi) just with the hole at the PF spot, but $22,000,000 could have figured that out real quick and made upgrades if needed.

They didnt start off preseason, but ADELMAN let it be known to the media that he was pissed, expects more out them, and need to get their %$#@ together ASAP. Now they are listening to him and buying into his system.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

With Adelman we would be a 55+ winning team and WCF at the very least. He had a winning record with Chuck Hayes as Center and KMart and Budinger on the wings.

Adelman is a million times better than McHale who is one of the worst coaches in the league. He does not stand out in any aspect of coaching. Incompetent all around.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

and you would expect covington to see some mins see if he would play D or could knock down some shots if garcia went cold. Never know what you got if you never give it a try. Thats mchale biggest problem not giving younger players a fair shot just ride them on bench then when they play they tend to over think things to please a coach.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

You don't really remember those years, do you? Every team under every coach loses some games that they should be winning.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Member

No highpost initiator of offense.

Our best scorers don't like to move without the ball.

Complete mismatch for his system.