1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yes. A signal can be sent to the car that causes the steering wheel to fall off.

Xerobull and Sajan like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've ignored a lot of Tesla fanboy and/or anti-Tesla rants. They just seem like bad cars to me. That said, are you pessimistic about all EVs or just the upstart brands outside of established players?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Engineering arm of Tesla moving back to California.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

i don't know a single person in this thread that's been slobbering over lucid.

lucid fked up by making a luxury sedan (a dying market segman). there's a reason everyone from ferrari to bentley to mazda to ford to tesla and selling their suvs/crossovers like hotcakes.

had lucid come out with an affordable or a luxury suv instead, they would have had more sales. like seriously, who the f is going to buy a 150K sedan right now?

Rivian is selling because MURICANS love trucks.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

he is pessimistic about all other EV brands because his POV is that Tesla makes the best cars in the world and it's only a matter of time before idiots realize it. and Jesus is not coming back because he is already here. His new name is Elon.

but somehow he also states 80% of the car market will not be Tesla...i guess i would like to know who the 80% is. it's not ford or gm or toyota or bmw or vw or honda or nissan or tata ....

guessing a new one?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, ok, then it's not a serious take. I do like the Hyundai Ioniq 5.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Too hot.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Agree. If I didn't have to deal with Hyundai dealerships I wouldn't mind leasing one as a daily driver.

Still not a mature enough market for me to BUY an EV.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m pessimistic about the players with uncompetitive offerings, which includes most legacy oems, so it has nothing to do with being established. There are some decent offerings on the market but the only competitive one at scale other than Tesla is BYD in China.

I’ve said that in the future Tesla at most will take 20% of the total market share, possibly as low as 10%, which means 80-90% will come from competition. Apparently @Sajan does not know what future tense means because that does not conflict with today, where especially in the US there are zero serious competitive EV offerings outside of Tesla.

Where will the competition come from in the future? Legacy players will go bankrupt and consolidate and I’m sure a few will emerge to become competitive. New ev startups could come up but that’s a hard task because the industry is so capital intensive, no car startups have survived in the last 70 years outside of Tesla. I’m not sure who it will be but just based on history no single player has exceeded 20% of the car market so I’m assuming that is Tesla’s limit, but as of today there is no serious competition outside of China.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I do not dislike the Ioniq, but they sold 23k of them in the US last year, it’s a drop in the bucket. Model 3/Y destroys it in performance and with recent price cut, this is not a serious competition whatsoever.

#1793 CXbby, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    mtbrays likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think their R&D/engineering ever left California. It sounds like they're just moving locations/expanding.

Sajan likes this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

something doesn't add up man.

if legacy will die.....and new startups won't survive...who is going to make up the 80-90%.

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Elon will keep making car companies until Tesla is only left with 10-20% market share. Duh.

Sajan likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Some legacy will survive, others consolidate, others die. Then there’s the Chinese. The objectively “best” car has never taken 100% of the market, the car market is far too big and individual tastes far too diverse. There were buyers of the Pontiac Aztec, there will be buyers to keep many brands alive.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

what's your guess on who will survive and who will die?

you guessed Tesla will make it this far...so what's the next guess?

19. Buck Turgidson

I'd like a pickup that can at least drive over a curb

Duncan McDonuts and Sajan like this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

nice! rest in peace F-150 raptor.