1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

How do you like it? Comfort? Drive-ability?
    I saw someone with an ID.4 yesterday and it really piqued my attention. Tryna do more research on it now.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It accelerates and brakes super fast, super quiet. I mean i had a v8 charger r/t before this, it's about as different as it can get but its probably faster from 0-30. It's actually too fast for the tires they put on it cause they screech due to the torque if you accelerate out of a turn.

The quietude is weird because you'll be driving and all of a sudden you'll be way over the speed limit. Cruise control is a must.

Interior is cheap, but my kids are filthy so whatever.

Id4 is probably nicer and newer in the same range. The niro is fine, but the next gen will surely be better (that's why i leased, might as well upgrade in a few years)

ferrari77 likes this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

@CXbby @adoo
    If GM keeps ignoring the reality and keep claiming to be the leader with <10% marketshare.......and cars that are not even being made (re: fires).......they are going to die a quicker death than most people currently acknowledge.

CXbby likes this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

she considers TSLA a tech co, not an auto maker.

within the province of auto makers, having been the first to successfully mfg / market an EV, GM continues to lead in that pursuit.
    i have been impressed by GM being nimble enough to step outside of the box to develop Volt, a EV, a far cry from the industry's past wrestling matches w change

Historically, the US auto industry has been resistant to change.
    if i remember my US history,

back in 70s/80s/90s when Japanese imports, w offerings of fuel efficient 4-cylinder car, were eroding GM/F/Chrysler market share,
    these 3 US auto makers had stubbornly (imo, stupidly) steadfastly maintained that it was impossible to re-tool their mfg facilities to make 4-cylender cars​

#444 adoo, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

The Volt is a plug in hybrid, not an EV. The only gm ev is the Bolt, which currently is having the entire fleet recalled and entire production halted due to issues of spontaneously combusting batteries. An imaginary urban legend about EVs that was made up about Teslas for years, that somehow GM has managed to make into a reality, potentially setting the EV industry back.

Sajan and cheke64 like this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

thanks for your correction, i meant Bolt

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

She needs to consider what Tesla is making and not what she considers Tesla. She can think they are a donut shop for all that matters. At the end of the day consumers think Tesla when they think of electric cars and sales show it.
    The people buying Bolts are not the normal consumer. Lot of them are lease hackers. I almost got one for 120 a month. Yes the same ones that are now catching on fire.

So no one thinks you make EVs, and no one is buying your car (and currently they can’t either)…
    what exactly is GM a leader in? They made an ugly car just to say they have a EV?
    Like Microsoft making the Zune..

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does this have to do with anything?

Is 139K not a competitive price for those specs?

Why will very few people buy this? You do know that a lot of people will buy them just to have something different than a Telsa.

You fanboys are sensitive and delusional.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

A better house with space for multiple cars in the garage (my current garage is a glorified storage shed) and loads upon loads more EV chargers around the nation.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because very few people are in the market for $140k cars?

B-Bob likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So it's good that they have different price points but for some reason, you have focused on that one model.

As usual you don't make any sense, how much is a tesla with the same specs?

Sajan likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Have you even considered the financial numbers? $2000 a month is the entry point.

The Model S Plaid is nothing more than an R&D low volume production car. It other words, its not Teslas bread and butter. Lucid is not going to make it.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Did you even read what I was originally replying to? I focus on that one model because that’s the only one that can go 500 miles, the $140k one.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That still does not address the point that similarly, specced Teslas are about the same if not more.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The 139,000 model is also not the lucid bread and butter they have lower-priced models, what's your point?

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

I am not sure what's hard to understand here.....I don't think lucid just stuffed more batteries in.....it's more efficient than the Tesla. But I understand it's hard for Tesla folks to understand there might be another option that's better?

Dream Edition ($169,000) -
    113 kWH - EPA estimated 520 miles
    4.6kWh per mile

Air Pure ($77,400)
    88 kWH - 406 range miles (projected EPA estimated range)
    4.6kWh per mile

Model S Rong Range AWD ($95,000)
    100 kWH - 405 EPA
    4 kWH per mile

Air Pure goes head to head with the Model S LR in terms of price and it's more efficient, cheaper, has smaller battery and the same range as Tesla. And from the reviews thus far, interior and build quality seem to be much better. If Tesla put a 88kwh battery, it would be around 352 miles, roughly 50+ mile less while costing 15K+ more..

Lucid is not trying to appeal to the mass market right now. That's not how you build a luxury brand. They can give 2 sh** about average Joe buying their car. They want to create exclusivity with the pricing and that's a great way to bring in the capital.
    It's exactly what Tesla did. lol.

Rich people want things poor people can't have and poor people want things rich people have..

superfob and jiggyfly like this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

To be clear, understand you are defining your own definition of 'efficiency' applied to an EV. There is more to an EV than kWH and range. Personally I find it pretty interesting that one day I can send my car to go pick my food up at the store or restaurant on its own. Or go pick up a kid from day care. Or take an elderly/disabled person to the doctor. And yes, such system's processing power will eat into the battery usage.

Over the last decade or so, luxury vehicles dominance is being eroded away to cheap tech. Now days, its hard to distinguish a lower end luxury brand like Lexus and BMW from your run of the mill soccer mom vehicles. Unlike Boomers and Gen X, millennials and especially Gen Z's identities are not tied to their vehicle. Why own an expensive vehicle and deal with all the maintained when you can simply Uber or door dash food.

Yes, there will always be a market for luxury vehicles for materialistic reasons. I dont think it will be big enough to keep Lucid around for the long term. To date, Tesla has shown little interest. The model S is not a luxury vehicle.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

For now main points for EV is kWH and range. The futuristic world you are dreaming of is not going to happen for a long time.

As long as people have money, there will be a market for luxury things. There are plenty of rich millennials...

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Disagree; it's right around the corner. We'll see self-driving cars on the roads within 10 years.